Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very anal about mechanics/Service touching my vehicles as I know they don't treat them as if they were their own, which is unfortunate on $45K+ vehicles. I know I need a Dexos but I want to do it myself.

What type of high performance oil are you using? I would like to maintain the same type of oil in my vehicle from oil change #1. I'll be letting Lingenfelter upgrade my 2SS with a 600HP Maggie package late summer :thumbsup:. This is my first high performance vehicle and I need some opinions with your vehicle experiences.

Thank you all! :cool:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Same. Mobil 1 full synthetic.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
As stated Mobil 1, which is what the car comes with. The only change will be when you are FI the grade should go up to withstand the increased pressures. I am running Mobil 1's 15w-50 grade in mine. It is one of the few oils that has a higher Zinc level for bearing protection. And as synthetic oils go it is relatively cost effective.

15W-50 Synthetic Oil | Mobil 1™ 15W-50

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
As stated Mobil 1, which is what the car comes with. The only change will be when you are FI the grade should go up to withstand the increased pressures. I am running Mobil 1's 15w-50 grade in mine. It is one of the few oils that has a higher Zinc level for bearing protection. And as synthetic oils go it is relatively cost effective.

15W-50 Synthetic Oil | Mobil 1™ 15W-50
i used to run that same weight and oil in my LS1 in the summer months and loved it, not sure if i can get away with using it in my LS3 now??

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Buy whatever synthetic is on sale. Spend the extra couple of dollars on a good filter change it at 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm running Pennzoil Platinum on my car. It's been testing a little better than mobil 1, and it got the DEXOS approval.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
So mobil 1 15w50w wont hurt these engines?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Prolly wont hurt it but that's a thick oil so prolly hurt mpg and performance a bit.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
i used to run that same weight and oil in my LS1 in the summer months and loved it, not sure if i can get away with using it in my LS3 now??
You can. You might lose 1-2 mpg... But hey, who is really in the muscle car game for mileage! :confused: ;)

My lifters were noisy almost from the get go on my L99. I switched to the 15w-50 (before even going FI) and low and behold things got real quiet and smooth.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
You can. You might lose 1-2 mpg... But hey, who is really in the muscle car game for mileage! :confused: ;)

My lifters were noisy almost from the get go on my L99. I switched to the 15w-50 (before even going FI) and low and behold things got real quiet and smooth.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
thats good to know, yea i can here mine alittle also

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mobil 1 for me. I used Royal Purple w/ friction modiifier on differential but had to get more friction modifier because I got the grinding noise when reversing. I will use Mobil 1 next time

·
Registered
105 Posts
Amsoil Z-Rod 10W30. High zinc which is perfect for big cam blown engines like mine. Only run WIX filters as well.

Cheapest deal around from: AMSOIL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Castrol Syntec oil with Bosch filter sometimes K&N if it's on sale. It's never let me down since the LS1 days of old.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts