• LS7.

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been working on my 3rd gen for quite some time now. A lot of things have changed on the car as in suspension, engine and transmission. Currently I have replaced the original 305 and 700R4 with a 406 and T-56. Since the new Camaro has come out I have been doing alot of thinking and would like some input from you guys. I have been debating selling my engine and doing an LS swap. With being back to work again and having some disposable income I am looking at either an LS3 or possibly stepping up to an LS7. The T-56 will be staying in the car, but the 10 bolt rear will be coming out (not sure if I will be going to a 12 bolt or 9" yet).

Here is what I am thinking, and where I need the most advice / help. I can buy both motors from GM as drop in crate engines. The LS3 I can go the E-rod route which would give me 430 hp at the crank. Or go with the LS7 and get 505 hp at the crank. Of course ultimately I want to put a supercharger on the engine and have found numerous sources for the LS3 with impressive power numbers. And would probably be more than sufficient for what I am wanting to do. But out of curiosity, does anyone know if there are any supercharger kits for the LS7? Is it possible to do this with the LS7? If I can go this route what upgrades / changes would I need to make to the engines to survive? From reading on the GMPP website, both engines use hypereutectic pistons, which would or should be replaced to forged pistons for the supercharger.

Any help, advice, or links to information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I'd do neither.

Is it necessary to get a GM crate motor? You could build a nice LS1/LS2 for boost for much less than a new LS3 crate. A LS7 crate is even more ridiculously priced (and it's dry sump; not a bad thing, just more modifications to be made during the install).

If you know what sort of numbers you looking to acheive, you can then decide on the correct engine for the application. N/A 402 LS2's are making over 500rwhp.

·
8,984 Posts
I agree as well, but I love the 406 and T56 combo that you have already. What is wrong with it? Not enough power? What heads are your running? What induction; cam?

I would first DEFINITELY sink some money into a nice rear-end and some WELD in sub-frame connectors.

Cheers~

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey everybody, thanks for the responses.

Demonspeed: The reasoning behind using a crate motor versus having one built locally comes down to not trusting people to do it right. I went through three machine shops getting the 406 that I currently have done. Crate engine comes complete, ready to drop in and a warranty. Although the warranty would be nullified once the forced induction went on. I could probably source a shop out of state to get a good foundation, but am looking at shipping and completing the engine once it is here. Also, just thinking it would be cool to have the same engine in a 3rd gen as the 5th gen is all. Where as the LS7 would just freak people out in a 3rd gen and truly a conversation piece at cruises and shows.

54inches: My current configuration is as follows,
Factory GM 400 sb (509 casting).
Ohio Crankshaft internally balanced forged rotating assembly including SRP forged flat top pistons with a -16cc dish, forged Eagle 6" H-beam rods, 4340 lightened and knife edged crankshaft.
Melling high volume standard pressure oil pump.
Dart Iron Eagle Platinum 215cc heads with 64cc chambers, 2.055" intake 1.60" exhaust valves.
Comp Cams 305H Magnum Hydraulic Flat Tappet camshaft with 1.6 Ultra Gold rockers and stud girdle.
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake.
Holley 750cfm double pumper with the Proform center section, no choke.
The T-56 I purchased from a friend and had upgraded the shift forks and output shaft, but not 100% for sure what all was done to it. I did put a Hayes Aluminum flywheel, Spec ceramic clutch.
There really isn't much left in the suspension to do, all or the factory stamped suspension components have been replaced with Spohn tubular pieces: adjustable LCA's, adjustable panhard, adjustable crossmember mount torque arm, weld in subframe connectors, tubular front k-member and rack and pinion steering.
When I had the car on the dyno I was able to rear 492 HP and 518 TQ at the rear wheels.

Unfortunately no money tree.

David

·
8,984 Posts
Sh!t, I say let her eat. Sounds like you have a great setup.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Seeing as how you're getting 500+ rwtq out of your current setup, I'd say keep it. Although, that LS3 E-Rod is hard to pass up if you want emissions legality and 400+hp out of the box with the sky being the limit for mods.

All depends on what you want to do with the car. Are you looking at AX, Drag, DD, a combination of them, or all of the above?

FWIW, an LS7 is $15k new and requires the GMPP Controller kit and thats an additional $1500.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Put a Vortech Supercharger on it and call it done......

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No emissions requirements here anymore. One less thing to worry about. Does anyone have experience putting a Vortech supercharger onto a carbed motor? I saw it done once on Overhaulin' but never one up close. I know I would need to change the carb to a blower carb, but how well do they work compared to a fuel injection setup?

89RS: the car will never be a DD again. It is truly a weekend / fun car now.

David

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
if u can find a a good price on a crate 427 go that route i seen them for as low as 5000 b4. the LS7 on low boast will keep the motor intact and wont have to worry bout the thin cylinder walls deforming....with a pro charger you can make upward 700 plus hp.....if you build the motor some with forged internals then the boast can go up and possibly do 1000 hp

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
No emissions requirements here anymore. One less thing to worry about. Does anyone have experience putting a Vortech supercharger onto a carbed motor? I saw it done once on Overhaulin' but never one up close. I know I would need to change the carb to a blower carb, but how well do they work compared to a fuel injection setup?

89RS: the car will never be a DD again. It is truly a weekend / fun car now.

David
I know someone who runs a procharger on a carbed SBC....it's SICK. But he also has a TON of work and $$ in the car.

http://www.trzmotorsports.com/ferrucci.html

·
8,984 Posts
There are a TON of people running Vortechs. Not really any different than running it one anything else. Definitely NEED to be inter-cooled. Sh!t with just 6psi you would need wings.... :lol:

·
8,984 Posts
That little thing? Let's get a 14-71.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I like the thinking going on here. However with a 6-71 or 8-71 blower I would have to cut the hood and do not want to do that. I will do some more reading on the Procharger and Vortech options, and what will work with my current setup. And intercooling will definately be a priority to keep everything together.

David

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
8,984 Posts
I like the thinking going on here. However with a 6-71 or 8-71 blower I would have to cut the hood and do not want to do that. I will do some more reading on the Procharger and Vortech options, and what will work with my current setup. And intercooling will definately be a priority to keep everything together.

David
and a cool electronic boost controller...:lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts