Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clearly there is a market for the new Camaro but in the big picture if there is not a healthy GM how long can we expect replacement parts and warranty ?
They can't live on Camaro sales and CAFE rules don't help.
Granted a restructuring is needed. Chevrolet doesn't need a GMC shadow and there must be a decrease in models offered. Unions must be controlled. There was once a time they were necessary but to survive it can't continue. Look ar right to work states where Toyota is being built.
Executives must be willing to fore go those salaries.
But wealthy Americans are mostly a greedy bunch, (AIG, Leyman Brothers executives) and once having a piece of the pie are not willing to give it up nor prone to sharing.
And we can't seem to grasp that Toyotas and Hondas while made in the U.S. the big money goes back to Japan.
We will see.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Idont think lending them 25 billion will help when you loose 12 billion a quarter. Even if they could build and sell enough vehicles/products to break even i dont think its possiable to do they have to much overhead to pay versus products to sell to pay the bills.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Idont think lending them 25 billion will help when you loose 12 billion a quarter. Even if they could build and sell enough vehicles/products to break even i dont think its possiable to do they have to much overhead to pay versus products to sell to pay the bills.

fine 100 billion then lol

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
this is what it's gonna take....

just a little love

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Michigan wouldnt Be The same without GM,Ford or Chrysler.....If they went Away...What would we Be known For Our Dirty Great Lakes?

We Could Get New License Plates Saying "Pothole Capital" lol

·
Registered
471 Posts
Bailouts WITH OVERSIGHT will be necessary to right this ship. In the long run, regardless of what the government needs to spend to save the big three, it is nothing compared to the cost of losing one or all of these remaining player in a huge economic sector. As for the structuring of the bailouts, they must be conditional and overseen by regulators. Giving them $25B and saying "here, fix it" isn't going to work. I know we all love GM but the simple fact remains that they got themselves into this trouble. Whether it stems from not building what the people want or simply operating with too much overhead (padding the pockets of the biggies), GM got themselves into this. They need to be told to use the money to provide tangible changes within production and planning. Transparency will be needed so that everyone knows exactly what this money is being used for. This is a lot like "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink." We need to make GM drink, make the unions go away because your union protection does not mean anything if you have no employer anymore. My family has bled GM for as long as I can remember with three generations working there. Right now I'm a Finance and Economics double major with hopes on being the fourth generation GM employee. I just wish this had waited a few more years so that I could be in a position to do something about it, I hope it still remains possible to fix whenever I am.
Eh..my .02.

·
Registered
347 Posts
OK first of all what i feel a lot if not the majority of people don't understand is that the government is not just handing over 25 billion dollars. They have specifically chosen what the money can and can not be used for. The 25 billion is to retool manufacturing plants to build more efficient vehicles such as hybrids, electrics, and other alternate fuel sources. That will not get GM out of the water. as a matter of fact it won't even help.

What we are going to see is a serious reduction in the variety of vehicles produced. We already saw the end of HUMMER and i think the same ill happen to Buick. also instead of chevy making a cobalt a malibu and an impala I think they will whittle it down to just the malibu maybe.

Even with gas prices down there still won't be a market for new vehicles. GM, Ford, and Chrysler will all be forced to cut production way down and completely eliminate certain trim levels, certain models, and even certain companies all together.

Secondly, GM WILL NOT sell 80,000 camaros a year. there is just no way demand will be that high. not in the next 4 to 10 years at least. people are cutting back on luxuries and are managing their money more wisely and a new sports car just doesn't fit into most peoples lives.

I love camaros don't get me wrong. I am just giving you the cold hard truth. I hope I am wrong but we as a country and a world are facing tough tough times ahead and now is just not the time to be splurging.....

·
Registered
132 Posts
They really don't have a choice other than to file chapter 11, reorganize, shed excess brands and dealers, and get a group of management that actually knows what they're doing.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
One article on the issue:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/13/business/economy/13bankruptcy.html?em

DETROIT — Momentum is building in Washington for a rescue package for the auto industry to head off a possible bankruptcy filing by General Motors, which is rapidly running low on cash.

But not everyone agrees that a Chapter 11 filing by G.M. would be the disaster that many fear. Some experts note that while bankruptcy would be painful, it may be preferable to a government bailout that may only delay, at considerable cost, the wrenching but necessary steps G.M. needs to take to become a stronger, leaner company.

More...

·
9,152 Posts
Business week:

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/nov2008/bw20081111_141573.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index+-+temp_top+story

Over the past several days, while General Motors (GM) Chairman and Chief Executive G. Richard Wagoner Jr. has repeated his mantra that "bankruptcy is not an option," the specter of a Chapter 11 reorganization is circling GM's downtown Detroit headquarters like vultures.

When it reported its third-quarter earnings on Nov. 7, GM said that it may face cash reserve levels (BusinessWeek.com, 11/7/08) by the New Year that would put it at the threshold needed just to meet payroll and continue some level of normal operations.

It has already suspended most of its future product programs. It has stepped up the pressure on the White House and Congress, especially the Michigan caucus, to find a way to get government help. "The third-quarter results made it clear that, without government intervention, GM is headed for bankruptcy," Gimme Credit auto analyst Shelly Lombard said

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
355 i think your clueless...In your perfect world huge corporations can just up and shut down with no lasting consequences or ill effects i guess. But in the Real world With companies that have Fuel a states Econ For over 100 years its not quite that simple.....theirs a Huge amount of people in the State that Rely on the Auto Industry....almost Every Town here Has Plastic Inject Mold,Tool and Die Company's that Hold Contracts with the Big three....Its our Lively Hood its What enables US to have the Lifestyles We have.Many of US here in Michigan This is all We know its all We have ever Done Im very Saddened Bye whats going on But truly Know None of the BIg THREE is Going anywhere anytime Soon. Say what You will Chicken Little But remember This Without These Company's America Would not be what it is Today. Hell if any of these Company Went under I would Lose a Huge Portion of My Client Base i am not Ready for that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
... and even with chapter 11, 80 percent of people in a poll say that they won't buy from a bankrupt automaker, according to that NY Times article. Face it, GM is royally screwed...

·
Registered
179 Posts
As far as I'm concerned they only need to sell one Camaro, MINE!:lol: Regardless, I think they have to much invested in the Camaro to not produce it at this late stage, and although I haven't researched it, I doubt there are any websites such as ours dedicated to the release of the next boring-ass family sedan, people want this car! :roxor: That being said, If they produce fewer, I will probably divest entirely from the stock market and buy two Camaro's, one to drive and one to watch appreciate in value.
OK first of all what i feel a lot if not the majority of people don't understand is that the government is not just handing over 25 billion dollars. They have specifically chosen what the money can and can not be used for. The 25 billion is to retool manufacturing plants to build more efficient vehicles such as hybrids, electrics, and other alternate fuel sources. That will not get GM out of the water. as a matter of fact it won't even help.

What we are going to see is a serious reduction in the variety of vehicles produced. We already saw the end of HUMMER and i think the same ill happen to Buick. also instead of chevy making a cobalt a malibu and an impala I think they will whittle it down to just the malibu maybe.

Even with gas prices down there still won't be a market for new vehicles. GM, Ford, and Chrysler will all be forced to cut production way down and completely eliminate certain trim levels, certain models, and even certain companies all together.

Secondly, GM WILL NOT sell 80,000 camaros a year. there is just no way demand will be that high. not in the next 4 to 10 years at least. people are cutting back on luxuries and are managing their money more wisely and a new sports car just doesn't fit into most peoples lives.

I love camaros don't get me wrong. I am just giving you the cold hard truth. I hope I am wrong but we as a country and a world are facing tough tough times ahead and now is just not the time to be splurging.....

·
9,152 Posts
... and even with chapter 11, 80 percent of people in a poll say that they won't buy from a bankrupt automaker, according to that NY Times article. Face it, GM is royally screwed...
And polls are basically useless.

You really believe if GM keeps their doors open, 80% of new car buyers will buy from another automaker? Come on...

·
Registered
347 Posts
As far as I'm concerned they only need to sell one Camaro, MINE!:lol: Regardless, I think they have to much invested in the Camaro to not produce it at this late stage, and although I haven't researched it, I doubt there are any websites such as ours dedicated to the release of the next boring-ass family sedan, people want this car! :roxor: That being said, If they produce fewer, I will probably divest entirely from the stock market and buy two Camaro's, one to drive and one to watch appreciate in value.
well GM had to have had a lot of money invested in that new hummer pickup truck and they stopped all hummer production right not too long after its release.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have been wondering how much is real & how much is poor mouthing. When all of the American axle stuff was going on GM gave them 60 million to buy out the strikers & get back on their feet. Then when things slowed down from the high gas prices I thought GM said they had enough capital to keep going for three years.

I know things are changing fast but I just wonder how many of these companies are that close to going under & how many just have a hand out. I guess the heavy union industies may have an advantage with getting help since they back the Democrats & they probably don't want to turn their back on their supporters.

I am not picking on GM, they are just an example.

·
barbarianmotorsports
422 Posts
the problem with big companys is they don't think like the little biz owners. if you have a problem or you send money that dont need to be spent dont send it . spend it where it is going to be useful to you. also if you are behind people forget you . you have to be innovator . start something before the other guys.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts