Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like The Nissan Skyline is the greatest car in the world according to my friends and anyone who is into tuners or that is younger ..... i know the car is awd , turbo etc but does anyone know much about the car?.... what makes it special or unique ? or how its like the best tuner etc.... not talking about the new one ... talking about the older ones....

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Well i Dont think theres anything Specail Bout New or older ones.....Sure they Got great Motors BUt Honestly Nothing Specail to me.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont know much about the old ones but they look nice but most people i talked to are soo convinced that these cars can handle up to 1000hp.... not sure what it takes these little cars to hit that mark though..

·
Registered
99 Posts
My understanding of these cars is that for some time, there was a maximum horsepower rating that Japanese cars could advertise, that being 276hp. In reality, the Skyline GT-R engine put out more than that, and relatively simple tuning tricks would bring that to over 500 rather quickly. I've read of a few Skyline GT-Rs being built to 1000hp or more, and still quite drivable on the street. One item that helps this car handle this sort of power is the AWD system that varies the torque split, sending it to the front wheels as necessary. At the time this system was released on the R32 Skyline GT-R, it was actually fairly revolutionary. Audi Quattros at the time still had a fixed 50/50 torque split that tended to induce heavy understeer. To put this into sharp perspective, think of what we were building in the way of sporting coupes in 1989, when the R32 series GT-R was introduced. If I recall correctly, the most powerful Camaro sold that year had a 240 hp V8, and there was a 20th Anniversary Trans Am with the Buick turbo V6 with 245. Can you imagine either of these keeping up with the GT-R? If I recall correctly, the R32 had a 0-60 time of just over 5 seconds. I don't think I'd have wanted to tangle with a GT-R on a road course with a IROC-Z.

Minus that special drivetrain, the Skyline is a midsized, sort of, coupe or sedan. The current Infiniti G series cars basically are the Nissan Skyline coupe and sedan, the GT-R, of course, having evolved into something very different.

The person who showed a bunch of decals hasn't the whole idea. First off, you'd need different decals to advertise any tuner parts you have. These would likely include names like Greddy, HKS, Endless, etc.

·
Registered
61 Posts
5seconds... must be a turboed 4cyl?

RB26DETT

Stright 6 twin turbo.

RB is the is the engine code like LS. 26 represents displacment in litres 2.6 litres DETT states that the engine has two turbo's, if the final part of the code was just it would have read DE the the engine would has been naturally aspirated. BMW claimes to have the first inline 6 twin turbo in the world, Well Nissan had on 20 yeras ago.

·
Registered
620 Posts
anything will make crazy amounts of power with a big enough turbo on it look at the WRX STI there is an engine apotion that you can buy that makes over 900hp and still matain factory warrenty.

dont get me wrong the cars are killer but the are a euro killer only, they were never brought to the US unless you had a butt load of money to import it. you cant really compare it to the camaro because of weight class differiances. The movie the fast and the ferious is what made them popular here in the states i think.

personally i woud take this over the skyline, but that is me, lol

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
First off, you'd need different decals to advertise any tuner parts you have.

I thought the point was to have the decals of tuner parts you didn't have, thus adding horsepower by association.

Doesn't matter though, it was a joke in the first place. That just happened to be the photo I found with the most decals in it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
dont get me wrong the cars are killer but the are a euro killer only, they were never brought to the US unless you had a butt load of money to import it.
I actually was referring to cars imported to the US. That's right, there is at least 1 1000 hp Skyline GT-R stalking American streets. The butt load of money is in the mods. There was a company dedicated to importing these cars to the U.S., and the story of that company is a decidedly interesting one. To put it simply, of the work they did, only the R33 still kept its certification. Never mind, as there is someone else doing this http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=105699.

That actual butt load of money, BTW, would about have bought a Porsche 911, if you wanted a R34. For about 30 or so, at one time, a R32 GT-R could have been yours.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
What's so special about it, to me it's the "japanese muscle car", and I know that might sound weird. Nissan just built a great engine and had a great car around that engine. The car was powerful, fast, and has great handling... it always had some good technology when it came out.

People will appreciate what they want, some people don't appreciate the LS engines, or Corvettes and things like that. Soooooo I don't know what Im talking about at this point I just want to say that I think the Skylines were great cars and some people couldn't care less about them, OPIONIONS ARE LIKE ASSHOLES, EVERYONE HAS ONE

·
I drive a Honda
118 Posts
It's iconic, the engine came about at a time when those horsepower figures was near unheard of.

Not to mention the past two records for the fastest awd car in the 1/4 has been skylines.

Engine is just a excellent engine to turbo and tune with, just like Supras 2JZ.

Best Engines IMO:
2JZ
RB26
Chevy LS series

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
It's iconic, the engine came about at a time when those horsepower figures was near unheard of.

Not to mention the past two records for the fastest awd car in the 1/4 has been skylines.

Engine is just a excellent engine to turbo and tune with, just like Supras 2JZ.

Best Engines IMO:
2JZ
RB26
Chevy LS series
what about the evo 4g63???ithink that is the engine code

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so the skyline was a 6 the whole time.... hmmm crazy .... no-wonder they produced sick numbers.... i say its time Gm brings the syclone back take maybe that new 3.6L with a nice turbo awd it would rip apart anything dodge has for a sports truck

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If they did a Syclone, it would be a turbo'd I6 Trailblazer or I5 Colorado(Or GMC derivative).
What made the Syclone awesome was that it was kicking butt..with a 4.3l V6. :D
but 4.3L is a big 6cyl .... but i dont know why they scraped the syclone AWD turbo i cant see this thing being too expensive im sure it would been cheaper then a silverado SS and faster ...

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
The scrapped the old Syclone because the turbos like to catch on fire.
They should of done the same as they did to the second gen Turbo Trans Ams, run them pig rich all the time. They were the only production car to ever use the DX Quadrajet rods, which were about as thick as a pine needle. Horrible for performance, but great for (lack of) warranty claims.

As for the Skyline, it's basic child theory, "I can't have it, so I want it,". The kind of status the Skyline HAD (It's died since the GT-R came out) is the very same status the Corvette HAS in Japan. The Corvette is not sold in Japan, but people import it and to them, it is an extremely rare and awesome car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts