Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to increase HP and LOOK stock with an L99, preferably without a tune?

Let's keep it strictly in the engine bay.

IIRC correctly a more aggressive L99 cam will require a tune. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Porting & polishing will gain some power.

Anything else? What kind of gains are we looking at?

This is purely a though exercise, so price is no object.
Let's do two versions. One bargain, one unlimited funds.

BOTH must LOOK 100% stock and retain driveability.

To my knowledge, there IS NO writeup like this. :5go: could be the FIRST.

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't look stock.

BOTH must LOOK 100% stock and retain driveability.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Not much....high-flow cats, ported throttle body and intake manifold, under-drive pulley. Pretty much anything else will require a tune.

I guess if $$ was no object, you could go with lighter weight pistons and rods, higher ratio roller rockers and ported heads....you'd also be adding a tune though, so might as well cam it.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Higher compression ratio, cam, K&N air filter, gears, ported and polished heads, V-Max TB (nobody will know unless you take the intake tube off), tune, ported intake manifold, gut the cats (if the vehicle is gonna be used for off-road purposes), weight reduction, lighter driveshaft (how many people are gonna look under the car?), aftermarket coil pack (stays under the beauty cover). Those are all I can think of.

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's about what I was thinking...
Any experts know about how much hp/torque you'd pick up?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Haha, not a lot, especially if you really dont want to tune. The stock cats are probably the biggest bottleneck there....might get you 10hp. The biggest difference maker would probably be gears (although no actual hp gain), no tune is actually required, but without one, your speedometer will be off.

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A cam will get you more than you would think.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
A cam will get you more than you would think.
Well yes, but i was sticking to the "dont really want to tune" premise. There are plenty of streetable cams. But, without going too radical and w/ no headers, gains might only be around 20-30hp (w/ just the cam swap).

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Nitrous. If you know what you are doing you can hide the lines and the bottle. All you would need is a tune ( which every v8 Camaro should get).

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nitrous. If you know what you are doing you can hide the lines and the bottle. All you would need is a tune ( which every v8 Camaro should get).
Yeah, those GM engineers don't know how to tune a car :rolleyes: j/k

This is all theoretical.

It'd be great for a stock vs. stock race. A true sleeper.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Haha, not a lot, especially if you really dont want to tune. The stock cats are probably the biggest bottleneck there....might get you 10hp. The biggest difference maker would probably be gears (although no actual hp gain), no tune is actually required, but without one, your speedometer will be off.
You don't always need a tune to calibrate the speedo. There are calibration units out there that can be installed that will correct your speedo.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Gutted cats will probably get you around 10-20...since there are 4 of them. I don't know if they make MIL eliminators for this car. If they don't then you will need a tune. However a tune cannot be detected from just looking at the car...so a tune counts as legit. You probably won't get much from the higher compression (by itself) since these engines already have a good amount of compression. But with the cam, heads, ported intake with TB, K&N, free flowing exhaust, and tune...the small amount of more compression will work in conjunction with all that and altogether you'd probably see about 50-75 RWHP.

If it's an auto you can get a higher stall torque converter. Add that with some gears and a lighter driveshaft and you won't gain any hp/tq...but I'd bet you can take more than half a second off you E.T.

Another thought is that you can take the intake tube and try to seal up those stupid ugly reservoirs from the inside. That'll provide more of a direct flow of air into the engine which should increase the throttle response and acceleration.

A smaller wheel/tire combo might be better for the track. 20's are nice to look at but I think 18's are better for the track. Along with less rotational weight and mass.

If you did all those mods together then I would think you could drop about a good second off your times. I'm no expert and this is all just an estimation but I don't think I'm too far off. All these mods and nobody should be able to tell your car is modified. It will sound a little more throatier because of the mild cam and intake/exhaust modifications but the stock mufflers should keep it all down...unless you gutted them also. The only way someone would be able to tell is if they saw the ported TB or K&N, or noticed your RPM's vs the speedo while you're driving.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
You don't always need a tune to calibrate the speedo. There are calibration units out there that can be installed that will correct your speedo.
Yes there are, but not for our cars.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Interesting....never heard of anyone using that. It probably works the same as a hand-held tuner, so really, you might as well just get a real tune.
Not necessarily. It can correct through the OBD-2 port or you can connect it as a jumper between the instrument cluster and the wiring harness. So you can by-pass using the ECU altogether.

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
I'm gonna go the budget route, without pulling the heads off, and stay under a grand.

I would personally say you could get away with high flow cats... At first glance when the hood is opened it would appear stock, someone would really have to know what they are looking at to tell they were there. I've read SOLO cats are good for a solid 15hp. $525

LS9 Cam, obviously you can't see a cam, but the LS9 cam is pretty much undetectable from the sound, supposed to be good for 20-25hp. There are also quite a few people that report running the LS9 cam on the stock tune with no issues. $130 (new)

Swap the air filter for the highest flowing unit you can get, which I've determined to be a Green Performance filter. (Drop in filter flow test shoot out) $60. While most filters themselves are untested, I'll be generous and say 5hp.

TSP under drive pulley kit looks **** near stock in the picture, with the belts on, no one would ever know, especially after it gets dirty... TSP claims +9hp, +8 tq. $279

That's appx a 53 hp gain for $994 (~$18.75/hp gain)... Not to shabby.

·
Registered
394 Posts
i wouldnt waste money on mods if your not going to get a tune..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts