Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have some specifications or detailed information about this two-piece driveshaft? Seems like it could be a possibly downfall for the more higher horsepower applications which may lead to this being the first to go? How is this thing constructed? Is it similar to any other current production cars?

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
I haven't seen the Camaro's 2-piece drive shaft in person to comment on it's construction, but I'm active with the LX line of Chrysler/Dodge vehicles which all have 2-piece drive shafts. Several of them are running 600+rwhp on the stock driveshaft for a couple of years now without any problems. The joint is a very long, heavy duty spline section. I personally don't think it will be a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
I'm curious how much the engineers thought about how people mod their cars. I know certain mods can take you out of warranty and such, but I wonder if they built the car with a certain "max hp" in mind. This would be one of those parts. Did they build it to handle 422-ish just fine, or maybe all the way up to 500-550?

Again, I just wonder how much they thought about this from the beginning.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I'm curious how much the engineers thought about how people mod their cars. I know certain mods can take you out of warranty and such, but I wonder if they built the car with a certain "max hp" in mind. This would be one of those parts. Did they build it to handle 422-ish just fine, or maybe all the way up to 500-550?

Again, I just wonder how much they thought about this from the beginning.
I would assume that it's all about NVH anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
That's why there should be a factory option for exhaust. Regular, and ours. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Anyone have some specifications or detailed information about this two-piece driveshaft? Seems like it could be a possibly downfall for the more higher horsepower applications which may lead to this being the first to go? How is this thing constructed? Is it similar to any other current production cars?
I don't have any specs on the drive shaft. However, I am not particularly concerned about a 2 piece shaft on this vehicle. My buddy has a 'race Jeep' build for mud drags. It is a four wheel drive (could impact force on shafts???) and it is running two stock 2 piece drive shafts. The motor dyno'd at around 800 HP. He drives this Jeep hard, and has not yet blown a drive shaft but has blown numerous hardened chromolly axles (Front at the U-joint) as well as rears (twisted apart just inside of the inner splines)

I realize that is all a different vehicle, and totally different application, but it does make me less concerned about relative strength of multi-piece shafts.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Well, there is an upgraded driveshaft for the G8. It looks good and I'm sure that a decent upgrade for the 5th Gen won't be far behind.

·
8,984 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Reading those last couple pages of that link 54, I couldn't tell it was about a drive shaft. Looks like it needs about 2 pages shaved off. :)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
We've got 2 peice ds's on the GTO's. They hold up, but you'd want to upgrade to a large single aluminum unit with more hp.
yeah believe it or not the current gen stang has a 2 peice drive shaft and if you want more power just like demon said go with a one peice:lol:

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
What engineering problem does a 2 piece driveshaft solve (as opposed to a solid one)? Is it desirable to add flex, or does it reduce the chance of failure?

·
Registered
15 Posts
HI

We are the first and only company to sale the heavy duty 2 piece drive shaft for the GTO,we have had great results ,it will hold tons of power ,1350 u joints the same as the 1 piece.We will be building a heavy duty shaft for the new camaro as well,as soon as we find someone that wants to lend us a hand in devolpment :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts