Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know why the camaro ls3 is only short 8 on hp, but is short 16 on lb/ft of torque (double the hp loss). Did they ever explain why that is?:confused:
corvette= 430hp and 424lb/ft
camaro= 422hp and 408lb/ft
shouldn't camaro = 422hp and about 416lb/ft

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
This happens alot when the same motor is used in different applications. It could be caused by anything from a more restrictive air intake or exhaust system.

EDIT: I assume he's referring to the loss from the 430 HP LS3 in the Corvette.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Considering the 422 rating is rated at 5300 RPMs, I'm thinking it's horribly, horribly under rated for insurance purposes.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
To answer Rizay's original question I would have to say Devryn is correct. When a manufacturer utilizes a particular engine in multiple platforms (Corvette and Camaro in this case) there will be differences in the intake and exhaust systems that will effect the HP/TQ figures.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is the same thing that happened back in 1998 when Chevy said that the LS1 in the Camaro was producing 305hp and the corvette was prouducing 340hp... It was funny that most Camaro were putting down upwards of 290-300rwhp stock or slightly modified. That is around the 340hp mark if you take away drivetrain loss. Who wants to pay $45000 for 340hp when you can get that in a $25000 package (back in 1998)... I'm thinking that they have done the same thing here.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Considering the 422 rating is rated at 5300 RPMs, I'm thinking it's horribly, horribly under rated for insurance purposes.
I'm not sure insurance has anything to do with it - unless it's Chevrolet's insurance that Corvette-dorks (not all owners, just the clueless ones) won't have sandy panties.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I'm not sure insurance has anything to do with it - unless it's Chevrolet's insurance that Corvette-dorks (not all owners, just the clueless ones) won't have sandy panties.
^^^^^ I like this guy's explanation. Nice euphemism, "panties", btw. :lol:

·
Resident GTO nutswinger
148 Posts
I think it's a mix between insurance and just preserving the Corvette's name as the more powerful performance oriented car. GM doesn't want to tarnish that name by creating another performance coupe with more power etc.

Why else would the Corvette LS3 produce 430hp @ 5900 rpm and the Camaro LS3 only 422hp @ 5300 rpm? Betcha the real wheel hp numbers will be very similar.

·
8,984 Posts
Does anyone know why the camaro ls3 is only short 8 on hp, but is short 16 on lb/ft of torque (double the hp loss). Did they ever explain why that is?:confused:
corvette= 430hp and 424lb/ft
camaro= 422hp and 408lb/ft
shouldn't camaro = 422hp and about 416lb/ft
To further answer your question, just because the HP numbers are 8 less does not mean the torque numbers are going to be 8 less.

Torque is a measured value, while Horsepower is a calculated value.

Horespower is a function OF Torque at a given RPM.

You cannot know the horsepower without the torque.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO with all of that said and with everyone's explanation, if the engine bay can not accomodate the height of the engine, then GM will put shorter runners on the intake and therefore this will change the values of torque at different RPMs.

That is the long answer.

The short answer has already been given!:lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts