Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 2SS automatic, when does this AFM rubbish actually kick in ?

At 60mph or above?

If so , how long do you have to be maintaining 60mph for it to engage? I assume it disengages in a downshift.

I only have a few hundred miles on her , mostly county miles.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's based more on engine load and transmission gear with engine load being determined using the Throttle position sensor and the MAP sensor to determine engine vacuum (or manifold pressure since they are just inverses of each other). Vehicle speed really doesn't factor in that much other than a lower threashhold that might be set in the VCM. If you know someone with a tuning package that can hook up the scanner to your VCM while your driving you'll be able to monitor the call for AFM and see exactly when it's kicking in and when it's kicking out.

·
ユキヒョウ
1,442 Posts
I know when I had my '08 Avalanche, there's was display choice on the DIC for "instant mileage" or something to that effect and it would show your "instantaneous" gas mileage and you could see when it switched between V8 and 4cyl mode. I'm sure some knowledgeable with an automatic will be able to help you out.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
No it's normal. I think it's a crock to be honest. I'm getting 13-14 mpg around town. Good quality gas always and not heavy on the throttle. It's annoying more than anything.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I heard right, tuning the AFM out will require a 'flash' , thus voiding the warranty?

Please ,please tell me I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
If I heard right, tuning the AFM out will require a 'flash' , thus voiding the warranty?

Please ,please tell me I am wrong.
If you buy the tuner, set it up... not too radical!! and have a problem, prior to taking Her back to the dealership. Hook the tuner back up and re-set to original settings. The first thing a good unit does is copies the original settings.
NOW..... if you set a crazy tune and shove a piston out the side, THE DEALERSHIP WILL KNOW AND YOUR SCREWED.
Make sure you have the "strong MAF". The guys at Performance: Airaid - American Racing - K&N - Kooks Headers - Magnaflow - Pfadt Racing | JDP Motorsports Helped me totally figure it out.

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
I never noticed mine, and I've got >35,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you buy the tuner, set it up... not too radical!! and have a problem, prior to taking Her back to the dealership. Hook the tuner back up and re-set to original settings. The first thing a good unit does is copies the original settings.
NOW..... if you set a crazy tune and shove a piston out the side, THE DEALERSHIP WILL KNOW AND YOUR SCREWED.
Make sure you have the "strong MAF". The guys at Performance: Airaid - American Racing - K&N - Kooks Headers - Magnaflow - Pfadt Racing | JDP Motorsports Helped me totally figure it out.
I believe that the computer "remembers" that it has been flashed twice if you do this and the dealer can tell that you have "tuned" your car. I could be wrong about this but I am not betting my warranty on it. I am waiting for the warranty to expire before doing mine. 2 1/2 more years. I can tell when mine is engaged only if I haver the windows down (stock exhaust). When the AFM kicks out it feels like a downshift.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I believe that the computer "remembers" that it has been flashed twice if you do this and the dealer can tell that you have "tuned" your car. I could be wrong about this but I am not betting my warranty on it. I am waiting for the warranty to expire before doing mine. 2 1/2 more years. I can tell when mine is engaged only if I haver the windows down (stock exhaust). When the AFM kicks out it feels like a downshift.
You are correct. Even if the settings are returned to original, the service department can see the history of what has been altered previously.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts