Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have 2600 miles on it and the thing still says i have 72% oil life left what the hell they did not put royal purple in it did they ?? lol wtf when should i change the oil and also what oil do you guys reccomend mobil 1 or royal purple !??

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
best thing for extra insurance is to do it after "break-in" period, which is 1500 miles. and after that just change it once the oil life indicator reaches 10%.

i just changed mine yesterday for the first time with 5900 miles. i decided to do mine at 50% oil life since i don't drive it everyday and it was mostly highway miles... and i just brought her outta storage from winter!

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I did my first one at 1100...and will change it every spring from now on (car doesn't see winter).

Since you're at 2600 now, I'd recommend getting it changed. IMO, stick w/ Mobil1 and for your filter...Mobil1, Wix (napa gold) or AC Delco.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
ok so i have 2600 miles on it and the thing still says i have 72% oil life left what the hell they did not put royal purple in it did they ?? lol wtf when should i change the oil and also what oil do you guys reccomend mobil 1 or royal purple !??
Mobil 1 5W30 is the factory fill.

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts
At the advice of the Camaro development and engineering team...

The computer calculations are there for a reason. :)
Break-in oil changes are no longer required in modern powertrains.

My first oil change was done at 8400 miles, when the car told me it needed it. :)

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Negative, you might want to re-research that :D

Camaro SS gets Mobil 1 from the factory :thumbsup:
Seriously where do these people come from. I suppose that's a Mobil 1 mineral oil filler cap under the hood. :rolleyes:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Factory_Fill/Vehicles_Filled_Mobil_1.aspx

And from the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro Owner Manual, page 9-12, Vehicle Care - What Kind of Engine Oil to Use (V8 Engines):
SAE 5W-30 is best for the
vehicle. These numbers on an
oil container show its viscosity,
or thickness. Do not use
other viscosity oils such
as SAE 20W-50.
This vehicle’s engine was filled at
the factory with a Mobil 1® synthetic
oil meeting all requirements for
this vehicle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oil

ok so i did my oil change today and i did it at 2700 with mobile 1 . they tried to put a sticker on my car lol . I said what the hell dude i have a computer this is 2010 man also i am a camaro owner i think i will rember when to change my oil .. **** im going to change it my self from now on ...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fyi

fyi i found out by a well known source that they run the cars for the break in then reset the odomiter . so your car comes broke in properly . dont know if i belive it due to the odomer law but might be true ..any thoughts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
fyi i found out by a well known source that they run the cars for the break in then reset the odomiter . so your car comes broke in properly . dont know if i belive it due to the odomer law but might be true ..any thoughts
Resetting the odometer would be highly illegal. Not that I doubt your well known source, but, I don't think so. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Resetting the odometer would be highly illegal. Not that I doubt your well known source, but, I don't think so. :thumbsup:
I've heard they do run them...but I would think they run them before they are even in the car...I doubt they are run enough the fully break them in...probably just run for a little bit to break in the cam and check for leaks.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Changed oil at a about 1000 miles. 97% left on the incidator. May not be required, but it's not going to kill anything. Makes me feel better, plus I'm the one that paid for it. I'm going to use the OLM for subsequent changes, if I don't hit 12 months first.

I'm going to pick a Wix(napa gold) over ACDelco. Nothing WRONG with Delco, per se, but the Wix filter has better construction and larger surface area.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No it doesn't. The Cadillac CTS gets Mobil 1 and the Camaro gets regular mineral oil. Check out "GM Powertrain" for the specs.
The reference was to the V6 which has the same engine as the CTS. The original poster didn't indicate which engine he had.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
The reference was to the V6 which has the same engine as the CTS. The original poster didn't indicate which engine he had.
The OP's profile says he has the 2010 Camaro 2SS Transformers edition. I can't speak for the V6 owners, but I'll take your word for it on the V6 oil type.

·
Registered
43 Posts
From the manual:

Engine Oil (V6 Engine)
Engine oil which meets GM Standard GM6094M and displays the
American Petroleum Institute Certified for Gasoline Engines starburst
symbol. To determine the proper viscosity for the vehicle’s engine, see
Engine Oil on page 9-10.
Engine Oil (V8 Engines)
The engine requires a special engine oil meeting GM Standard GM4718M.
Oils meeting this standard can be identified with the American Petroleum
Institute (API) Certified for Gasoline Engines starburst symbol. However,
not all synthetic API oils with the starburst symbol will meet this GM
standard. Look for and use only an oil that meets GM Standard GM4718M.
For the proper viscosity, see Engine Oil on page 9-10.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts