Modern Camaro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Probably not. 4th Gens will probably see a huge drop in value. HUGE. The older Camaros (1st and 2nd Gens) have seen a huge drop in value lately because the economy is so terrible. 3rd gens are pretty flat.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
I agree. I think they will drop. They have been dropping all along anyway though. The LS1 cars are still holding on pretty well, but still dropping.

·
Registered
318 Posts
In 30 years I may be able to afford a ZR1, too! Good news for me! But really, I'll be looking for a 3rd gen Camaro as soon as I get my 5th gen. My very first car was a 1982, Black on Black, automatic turbo-6 Camaro, and I'd really like to do that again. Let's just say the obsession started young? :p

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Yeah, I'm actually hoping to get what I paid for my Corvette when I sell it next year. It's got a new clutch and rebuilt engine, and it's solid. I'll have had it for 3 years.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Probably not. 4th Gens will probably see a huge drop in value. HUGE. The older Camaros (1st and 2nd Gens) have seen a huge drop in value lately because the economy is so terrible. 3rd gens are pretty flat.
Thanks for that update oh guru. I don't know where you pluck your info from, or if you just make it up, but NADA states the following for a 1969 (1st GEN) Camaro Z28: Low retail (daily driver) $23,175. Average retail (well cared for original or older restored driver) $ 40, 750. High retail (immaculate restoration or show car) $ 66,275. These values are about the same as last year, and unlike Mr. Guru's assumption, 1st generation Camaros HAVE NOT SEEN A HUGE DROP. I even called a local classic car dealer here, and he laughed when I told him that Guru Devryn stated the 1st gen Camaros have seen a "HUGE DROP". Why not do some research before opening your piehole first, Devryn? I will now await the eventual scathing response and slanderous put-downs from our beloved know-it-all and resident expert on all things in the Universe.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
You're right. The turbo charged V6 was the 89 Trans Am "20th Anniversary" edition, which had the same wheels and other goodies from the GTA.
:hello:Don't forget the 1980-81 Turbo Trans Am (301ci).

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
:hello:Don't forget the 1980-81 Turbo Trans Am (301ci).
Just what I was going to say

The 301 Turdblow....made the top 10 worst engines of all time. I think on Domestic only. Almost all of them had severe timing issues with engine fuel knock, whatever the technical term is. (engine pinging, predetination)

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Just what I was going to say

The 301 Turdblow....made the top 10 worst engines of all time. I think on Domestic only. Almost all of them had severe timing issues with engine fuel knock, whatever the technical term is. (engine pinging, predetination)
I think the technical term is "piece of crap". I think the "turbo" was sort of a gimmick on these cars, hoping to sell more...GM really didn't figure out the turbo until the GN.

From 1979 to 1980 they downsized from 400ci to 301ci. Neither had much power, but at least the 400 had some torque. Those were some rough times for engines.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Thanks for that update oh guru. I don't know where you pluck your info from, or if you just make it up, but NADA states the following for a 1969 (1st GEN) Camaro Z28: Low retail (daily driver) $23,175. Average retail (well cared for original or older restored driver) $ 40, 750. High retail (immaculate restoration or show car) $ 66,275. These values are about the same as last year, and unlike Mr. Guru's assumption, 1st generation Camaros HAVE NOT SEEN A HUGE DROP. I even called a local classic car dealer here, and he laughed when I told him that Guru Devryn stated the 1st gen Camaros have seen a "HUGE DROP". Why not do some research before opening your piehole first, Devryn? I will now await the eventual scathing response and slanderous put-downs from our beloved know-it-all and resident expert on all things in the Universe.
What's with all the name calling? I do not bother with NADA because I cannot afford any of those prices...

As far as "plucking my info", I visit camaros.net twice per day. I have been doing this since June of 2000 looking for a 69. I have seen a steady rise since 2000 (I should have struck then :BangHead:), but over the course of the last six months, I have seen the cars come down in price. Now I will let the "Senior Member" and his so named "guru" define huge, but I have to agree with Devryn that the price of the first gens have come down. Daily drivers are going for around 18-20, and I think 3k less is HUGE.

Sure, there are cars there that are well within the NADA price range, but I think that I have enough experience (LT16SPEED let me know if you want an exact number of visits over the last 7 years and I will call my guru to calculate it for you) to say that as the economy goes, so goes the price (at least) of the first gen. Unfortunately, I would need the second great depression to have it come back to reality. Two cars and saving for the daughter's college is not in the plan ... unless that older gentlemen in my city is willing to sell his numbers matching, all original, hasn't been out of the driveway since March 22, 1998, don't know if it even runs but would gladly push it home, wants to take me up on my cash offer:roxor:

Oh LT - is that your picture in the cyber dictionary next to pompous or bully?

Stop the name calling!

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I wouldn't think NADA prices would take into account current economic times...the best guide is to see what cars are selling for. With the current crappy economy and gas prices, it just may be a good time to look for that 1st gen.

That said, the original question of this thread was when the 5th gen comes out will other Camaro's increase in value...plain and simple, only collectors cars (special editions or classics) can ever be expected to go up in value. If you're holding on to your 4th gen, hoping it will go up in value, you'll probably be waiting for a long time.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
What's with all the name calling? I do not bother with NADA because I cannot afford any of those prices...

As far as "plucking my info", I visit camaros.net twice per day. I have been doing this since June of 2000 looking for a 69. I have seen a steady rise since 2000 (I should have struck then :BangHead:), but over the course of the last six months, I have seen the cars come down in price. Now I will let the "Senior Member" and his so named "guru" define huge, but I have to agree with Devryn that the price of the first gens have come down. Daily drivers are going for around 18-20, and I think 3k less is HUGE.

Sure, there are cars there that are well within the NADA price range, but I think that I have enough experience (LT16SPEED let me know if you want an exact number of visits over the last 7 years and I will call my guru to calculate it for you) to say that as the economy goes, so goes the price (at least) of the first gen. Unfortunately, I would need the second great depression to have it come back to reality. Two cars and saving for the daughter's college is not in the plan ... unless that older gentlemen in my city is willing to sell his numbers matching, all original, hasn't been out of the driveway since March 22, 1998, don't know if it even runs but would gladly push it home, wants to take me up on my cash offer:roxor:

Oh LT - is that your picture in the cyber dictionary next to pompous or bully?

Stop the name calling!
The racist there was name calling to me. He wasn't trying to insult you, on purpose anyway. You see, he and I don't like each other, but since I was the mature one, I put him on my ignore list (I can't see his posts unless someone quotes them). Of course, he didn't bother to return the favor.

To answer you (and don't bother replying to me, since I can't see your posts and don't give a fvck what you have to say anyway), I watch the craigslist in my area literally every day to see what first and second gen Camaros are going for. I've noticed a much larger drop that SK here has. Car in Scotsdale that were listed before the recession were going for $30K I have see relisted lately for $20K or under. That's where I get my info. Real world asking prices. NADA is only good for seeing what the bank will lend you. If you didn't know, and I suspect you don't, banks typically will only lend 30% more than the NADA value.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
wow i wish i could find low priced 1 st gens. i guess someone forgot to tell my area that the prices need to drop.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.