Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if chevy plans to start production in feb. how many cars could they build everyday. when i ordered my ss my salesmen said i should have it by march but with gm's money problems and the large amount of ss's getting ordered i think i should have my baby by june. what does anyone else think?:BangHead:

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
As long as it is before my birthday in May, I'll be happy... :party:

·
Registered
3 Posts
No one knows for sure yet. Doesn't mean I can't speculate:D

If everything proceeds as planned, production will start on the 16th, slowly. It will ramp up over a couple of weeks time. Some of the line operators have said they can do 500 cars per shift.

As for the overwhelming amount of SS's ordered the first few weeks... Fbodfather has said that should not be an issue, the only issue would have been if the percentage of SS cars stayed at +75% for the duration. Initially GM had figured on a 50/50 split for the first few quarters, knowing full well that early pre-orders would go in favor of the SS cars.

As far as when... we have started to compare order numbers on some of the other sites, and it looks as though the alpha numeric order numbers are going in sequence. Whether or not you get your car before someone who ordered a few days before you, is anybody's guess. Orders could go in sequence, by trim level, color, region, just no way of knowing.

I ordered a 2SS/RS on Oct. 20th, again assuming that GM's money issues don't get any worse, with my above reasoning I am guessing I will take delivery sometime in April.

Hope that helps a little;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i ordered a 1ss in orange on oct 16th. so if everything goes like you stated then late march early april would be great.

ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS AN EARLY DELIVERY!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ordered on OCT.13, but now my dealer is closing. He tells me the car will be built, but he does not know where it will go. My garage sounds good to me. We are trying to have it transfered to another local dealer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thumpmaster I hope you don't have a money deposit with these folks...or I hope they will give it back.

When are they closing?

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Thumpmaster I hope you don't have a money deposit with these folks...or I hope they will give it back.

When are they closing?
X2! Any deposits made towards a Camaro order are the property of that specific dealership. It will not be refunded by GM if your dealership closes their doors before delivery. I would survey the options in getting your money back, Thumpmaster.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Just my opinions based on all the info I've been able to collect from various Camaro Boards but the following are excerpts from another thread...

Correct. If your dealer had 50 cars allotted, basically he will get 10 a month over 5 months; March-July. IMO, they have extra time allotted till September just in case something needs to be changed or some components are modified and/or delayed being it's a new model...

Divide your dealer's allocation by 5 or 6 (months) and expect that many over the course of any given month. Reference your priority number to that. What is not quite correct in your statement is that when the sold orders are pulled to GM, they will all be pulled and prioritized, not 1 or 2 a month in the case of the dealer with 10 units allocated. If your order is in at that time, you will get "slotted"...

What's so hard to understand? It's the same formula as the allocation itself. You get 30 cars total over 6 months is 5 cars per month. If you have priority 12, you're in for a 3 month wait. Problem will be with the dealer that got 5. He may get no cars months 1 and 2, 3 cars month 3, etc...

There is no way that these are going to come off the assembly line at full-bore production levels. IT'S NEW. There are bugs to work out and there will be inherent delays in getting component parts at startup (especially if you can't pay for them). It'll take IMO 3 months to even begin getting up to full capacity, not one month as mentioned in the thread quoted above. Think about the current economic conditions and tell me with a straight face that you think they can smoothly launch this car. Allocation was set up through/to September for a reason. It's a SAFE number. It will probably be better. However there is no way you can multiply 400 cars a day x 5 days=2000 units a week at this point. It's just not real given what's going on with the Big 3 now....

The following is JUST MY OPINION based on all the info I could gather from the various Camaro Boards. Just an FYI. Don't confuse submitted with pulled. In layman's terms, GM has acknowledged that they have a "copy" of the pre-order you placed at the dealer, hence your 6-digit alpha-numeric confirmation number. December (whatever) the GM computer will go back to all the dealer's computer systems and pull the orders into its database as "finals" and then slot/prioritize production. Unfortunately, what people didn't/don't understand is that just because you placed your order day one, on 10/13, doesn't mean your "slot" will be with everyone who ordered on the 13th vs the 20th vs the 26th... That probably should be the way it's done but it won't be. It'll be by percentage allocation.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The Camaro will be delivered on time.
????:confused: I think this is the point of the thread. Answering your question which seems to be more of a statement.

What is considered on time?

Unrealistically, I think most people's point of view is that at the end of March 09 they will be picking up their car. Obviously this is not accurate and I applaud OP for asking a relevant question.

Here is another question and I haven't seen it answered definitively. What exact date in December do I need to have my "Final" Sold Order set in stone? Reportedly, the ordering system is expected to be ready by the end of November. This will allow me to make the necessary color & wheel changes to my order. How many days does that give me to get with my dealer before the "Final" Sold Order is pulled?

·
Registered
913 Posts
????:confused: I think this is the point of the thread. Answering your question which seems to be more of a statement.

What is considered on time?

Unrealistically, I think most people's point of view is that at the end of March 09 they will be picking up their car. Obviously this is not accurate and I applaud OP for asking a relevant question.

Here is another question and I haven't seen it answered definitively. What exact date in December do I need to have my "Final" Sold Order set in stone? Reportedly, the ordering system is expected to be ready by the end of November. This will allow me to make the necessary color & wheel changes to my order. How many days does that give me to get with my dealer before the "Final" Sold Order is pulled?
And there is the "smack-you-in-the-face" truth to the matter. So far as the exact December date, I haven't seen it anywhere yet. I'm sure the mods will sticky it when they know.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my salesmen said that the day before the your order is submitted the dealer is suppose to call me and see if i have any changes that i would like to make and then your order is submitted and your assigned a vin number.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It should be fun watching everyone track the progress of their cars on line. It's always a hoot to see where they go and how long it takes. The times really vary and depend on so many uncontrolable factors. I have custom ordered 3 vehicles over the years and it's always so different. Wish I could get a camaro too but alas, no $$$$$$$$$$ left, but I would not rule one out in the near future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts