Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So all of us here are Camaro fans (or addicts lol)....

My question is:
What started you on being a Camaro fan? Where'd you get the "bug"?

For me...
I've loved Camaros since being a small child.
When I was 4-5 a guy from my church would pick me up for Sunday School in his 1969 Camaro. Man was that ever a cool car.
I knew squat about it other than it was awesome looking and made a loud noise. :D
But the memory stuck. That car was blue with white stripes, chrome rallys, spoiler, and I didn't know then, but I would now guess it was a Z/28.

After that, when riding with the parents somewhere, my dad would always point out Camaros and Firebirds to me on the road, and I'd always go "WOAH COOOOOL!!!!" :D

So from that point on I was pretty much hooked, and the design of the car has always kept me hooked.
So in 1994 I bought a 1994 Z28 new, and it's been nothing but Camaros since! :cool:

So let's hear your story!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mine started with the 5th gen - In 2000 I got my PT Cruiser due to the retro look. Then I was slightly interested in the newest mustang but it was not exactly what I was looking for. Once I saw this beast I was HOOKED! I WILL have that vert when it comes out.....

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
My first car was a '81 Camaro. I had so much fun in that car. I sold it when I went to college.

I've owned a cross-fire injected Z28 and later a 25th Aniv.

I regret selling evey one of those cars now.

·
8,984 Posts
I got ot from my step-brother and my step-dad.

When my brother was almost 16 my parents found him a 1969 Vert 396/4spd. MOM said NO. Hell, I cried.

He got a 71 Chevelle.

A few years later I could not find a camaro that I wanted.

I ended up with a 1974 Type LT, then a 68 RS/SS, the a 1992 B4C/1LE/FE2.......

·
Registered
330 Posts
my first car was a 68SS/RS it was one bad mo-flogger. had a 383 stroker, a roll cage, 18" wide tires in the back, need i say more. it was the first (and only) car i drove 160 mph. ...friends mom's stealth did 158, but would not keep up. difference is, i paid 1500 for mine, she paid prolly about 30,000.(?)

i sacraficed that car (because i was a dumb 15yr old) that thought "since it is SOOOO FASSST.... and has all this power, and NEVER gave me a problem before...... while going down a 4 lane highway at 110, cruising, and a white 5.slow pulls up beside me, i HAVE TO stomp it and show this chicken head how things be done round here!! haha needless to say, he had n2o but was no problem passing him when he topped out at 130, ...i hit 160 (9000RPM) and just stayed that way, while he dissapearred in my mirror. had i not been 15, stupid, and had 3 people in the car screaming HELL YEA!!!, then i might have backed off and teased him about handing over his title so i can sell his junk....

but nooooo, i had to keep on going... the race was over, i SSMOKED his *SS haha, but just kept on going 160. after a mile or so (if that) i hear BOOM! squeek squeek squeek, the smoke poured out of my hood, oil got all over my windsheild. not a good thing at 160. i rolled to a stop. he went by laughing, pointing. what a prick. couldnt help the 15-18yr olds on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere...

this is where my CAMARO fetish... and HATRED for all things m*st*ng come from. since then i have had 7 camaros, loved every one of them! will have more. starting with the 5th gen. i never did buy a new one. i had the one 1st gen, and 6 3rd gen's. passed up some offers on 4th gens a few times, because they just dont appeal to me. especially with a v6. i guess nowdays, a 98SS would be nice, but still not my favorite body style, and too expensive for what it is. for the same money i could have a 3rd gen way faster, and nicer, and with the better body style (in my opinion).

so far i am in love with the 5th gen. but since they are being so secretive and taking 3 yrs to launch the d*mn thing, im kind of living in a dream, fabricating my own idea of what its going to be, fitting that in with what all of you think it will be. its like a fantasy car.

i just hope we all arent giving it 'too much' credit and end up dissapointed. i know we all have a VERY high image of it in our heads. but in all reality, NONE of us. (well very few of us)... have seen it. and we know very little about the final product which seems to be still in experimental stage. if they were finished with it, then they wouldnt need the focus group, right??? or better yet, if they wanted to do that, they should have done that in the beginning, then released the "prototype"

sorry to put so much into one message, just rambling on.

thoughts anyone??

·
Registered
742 Posts
i just straight up can't stand FORD or their Stangs and the Camaro was just always it's competitor. and plus, my whole family is into chevy's so i kinda fell into it.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Was always a chevy nut. Started with Novas (still a Nova addict though its just easier to finance a new Camaro though). When driving around in my 406 powered Nova. My sis in law just bought a New Ford at the local dealer and I had to drive her there to pick it up. On the used lot was my baby. I test drove it and saw that it had the same power, got waaay better gas mileage, had air conditioner and was new. Well my DD took a crap later that day so I went down and said I'll take it. What sealed the deal was the first week I had it I beat a Lightning, a Cobra, and the fastest car in my little town the first week 100% stock. I've been a LS1/Camaro addict since.

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good stories so far, keep 'em coming! :)

It's a little strange that I became a Chevy nut, because my whole family drove Fords hehe. When I bought my 1994 Camaro Z28, my dad had a 1994 Lincoln Town Car, my mom had a 1989 Ford Taurus, and my sister had a 1990 Ford Probe.
So I guess I was the "black sheep" of the family. :D

But over time I'm rubbing off on them....
My dad has a 2006 Corvette now, and my mom just got a 2007 SRX.
My dad's daily car is still a Lincoln Town Car (a 2006), but I'm working on that one yet. :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well my addiction came from SPEED. serious speed.
My Dad had a 1997 VETTEsince it was new. It was his baby and he had probbaly 12k into the motor alone. well a month or 2 after i got my licence they went on vacation..... and i went on a road trip at 195 MPH.... after that day i was bit by the Chevy bug. My First Car Was A Saturn SL2. and i complained that i wanted a Camaro almost Every Day After School. My Dad Asked Me Why and i told him speed. so the day after my graduation i walked out of the house and in the drive way was a GT.... i almost cried. he told me they where faster and plus it was Vert Like his. I Explained to him i wanted a Camaro and he got mad and told me to buy one then. so after i saw a concept of the new camaro i vowed to buy my own... i Still Love My Stang Though..

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well, when I was a kid my uncle had several Z28's....both 2nd & 3rd gen cars so I guess that started it. After high school I had a couple of 5.0 Mustangs and really liked both cars. My first was a '85 GT then I sold it for a brand new '92 LX 5.0 coupe model. I sold the LX in '96 to buy a truck but was laid off before I could close the deal on the truck. It was the summer of '96 when my cousin gave me a R&T mag with a 2 page add for the new Camaro SS.........I was hooked.

In Oct. of '96 I started my current job & started planning my next purchase. I was going to get a Z 'cause I was certain I could not afford the SS. I held out until April of '97 when I ordered my SS, took delivery on June 25 and the rest is history.

I always was a Chevy fan but in the early 90's the Mustangs were cheap and easy to modify.....plus they were pretty quick back in those days. I have no plans to ever get rid of my SS, we have been through alot together. I do look forward to owning more Camaro's in the future, including a 5th gen one day.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got hooked on Camaro's when I was about 3 or 4 years old. My aunt was attending beauty school here in Baton Rouge, and one day she dropped by our house for a visit before heading home. I remember looking out of our front window and seeing this really cool looking car in the driveway. It was her 1968 Camaro. I have been hooked on first gen's ever since. It was white, with a red interior, automatic transmission with the stirrup style shifter, not sure about the engine, though. To top it off, how about an 8-track tape player with Tom Jones on tap!!! She eventually sold it to my cousin and bought a Cutless Supreme, which was equally a nice car, but nothing like the Camaro. My cousin had problems with the Camaro and towed it up behind his Mom's house. We were over for Thanksgiving (around 1977) and being bored, I went wandering about and discovered it. My aunt and cousin offered the car to me - free of charge, no strings attached. Being about 12 at the time, I had no clue who would help me with the car, where I would keep it, that sort of stuff - my dad and brother were not into cars or very mechanical. I will forever kick and berate myself for turning it down....... Ah, to go back in time, just for that moment again. What an awesome car..... :sigh:

·
A New Camaro, Excellent!
529 Posts
My dad is a dodge/mopar guy and my grandfather worked at the ford motor company so some one had to represent gm!

When i was a young-in my sister's friend used to give us a ride home from school in her dad's 3rd gen trans-am just like the one in Knight Rider! I thought it was so awesome.

Then one of my friends in high school had a bad azz candy apple red 3rd gen camaro with ram-air hood, that looked super sweet!

I got my first brand new black v6 convertible camaro in 98 when they re-designed the front fascia and loved it. Until i went to the race track and realized i needed an LS1 so i traded it for my current vette. I love my vette, but it's very refined and well manered. I still missed my camaro, so bought another one with a v8. I love the rough rawness about it. It just feels more aggressive.

Then gas prices went through the roof, so i got the buick.

I think i will always have to have at least one camaro with me at all times.

:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well I HATE Ford and the first camaro that stood out in my perspective was the '69 SS and i've always like the design of them ecspecially the 3rd gens I don't know why its prolly something to do with the T-Tops or the aggressive look that kind of died in my opinion after they rounded everything off to created the 4th gens

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
i really dont know where mine came from, i just love my car

·
Registered
3 Posts
my favorite was the 3rd gen, two of my friends had them in high school. One had a red rs the other a teal green z28. When it came time to get mine I test drove a 81 that was garage kept, grey z28 in great condition but being 16 could not afford the insurance on a V-8 and most of the used 3rd gens I found were a little worse for wear. So I ended up with what I'm still driving today, a 94' 3.4L V-6 plain jane base model maro.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm 16 and my first car was a 95 Nissan Sentra. A real POS! :ricesmiley: Well a few months after I wanted a new car and my dad wanted me to get a Camaro. He's a 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen in his day so I figured sure I'll see if I like one. Well being on a weak budget and him being a parent he figured a 6 Cylinder was good enough. I thought so too when I bought it now I would die for a Z28!!! But anyways for now I'm driving a 95 Camaro 3.4L, auto, Firetruck Red with T-Tops. But going from a Sentra to a V6 Camaro is a huge difference in torque and feels nice I can peel out when I get on the gas. This is just the beginning though I'm going to have plenty of Camaros (5th gen on the list:D) when I get older and get a good career for myself.

Sorry this was so long I can talk for days lol.

·
Registered
742 Posts
welcome aboard man.... yea we all want that good career to get ourselves in a nice car. haha. hope you enjoy this forum... we got mad peeps so far and they keep coming.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Ever since I was in middle school I'd wanted a 3rd Gen Camaro. I was also deeply in love with 3rd Gen Formula 350s (and Knight Rider LOL). Dad used to always tell me about the F-Bodies he'd owned (mostly TAs). When I was able to buy my first car I bought a 78 Camaro and fixed it up in about 2 years:

Since then I've had a 1986 IROC I sold and bought a truck. I've had a love affair with the 2002 35th SS (the real deal, Victory Red with the Checkered stripes). I was ready to buy one when they announced the 5th Gen, and I figured I'd wait. :)

1 - 20 of 74 Posts