Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say hypothetically that we have an RS 3.9, a Z/28 5.3, and an SS 6.0. Which would you buy? I would choose the Z/28 because it's the perfect blend between performance and economy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
I'll be buying the biggest engine they have available. I don't care if it's in a Z28 or an SS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
863 Posts
Well first of all its already decided Z28 will be the top model, not SS, and further its looking like this at the moment

Base Pushrod V6
3.6L Multicam V6 "RS"
6.2L LS3 SS
7.0L or blown 6.2L Z28.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris 96 WS6 said:
Well first of all its already decided Z28 will be the top model, not SS, and further its looking like this at the moment

Base Pushrod V6
3.6L Multicam V6 "RS"
6.2L LS3 SS
7.0L or blown 6.2L Z28.
This is certainly news to me...last I heard the common conensus was that the Camaro would be 3.9/5.3/6.0/7.0. I did however, propose on another forum that they make the lineup look like this.
RS 3.9 (240 HP)
Z/28 5.3 (303 HP)
SS 366 6.0 (400 HP)
SS 383 6.2 (450 HP)
ZL1 7.0 (505 HP)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dead in the water? That's very disappointing. The 5.3 is a great motor. They need a midsize V8. Now we'll go from what, 255 in the V6 to 400 HP in the V8 with nothing in between? They need the 5.3 to fill in the gap for buyers that want affordable performance. A competitor to the Mustang GT.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,152 Posts
ChevroletMan said:
This is certainly news to me...last I heard the common conensus was that the Camaro would be 3.9/5.3/6.0/7.0. I did however, propose on another forum that they make the lineup look like this.
RS 3.9 (240 HP)
Z/28 5.3 (303 HP)
SS 366 6.0 (400 HP)
SS 383 6.2 (450 HP)
ZL1 7.0 (505 HP)
Common Consensus? From where, internet speculation?

No way the 5.3l will be around, hell, they should have never even had it in the Chevy SSR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
863 Posts
ChevroletMan said:
They need a midsize V8.
I know, but you're preaching to the choir. I've been jumping up and down about a modest V8 for months but its falling on deaf ears. They're moving ahead with the V6/HFV6/SS 6.2L/Z28 7.0L lineup.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,152 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
I know, but you're preaching to the choir. I've been jumping up and down about a modest V8 for months but its falling on deaf ears. They're moving ahead with the V6/HFV6/SS 6.2L/Z28 7.0L lineup.
Where doest this information come from?

Don't get me wrong, the 6.2l / 7.0l combo would be awesome, no need for any other V8 IMO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
861 Posts
7.0 the only way to go! a midsized v-8 would not be a good seller because all the people that would be buying them would be wasting their time trying to keep up with a 7.0 anyway. A v-6 will fit the bill fine because if you could upgrade a v-6 and smoke a stang that would be sweet!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
863 Posts
Gonna be a 5th gen owner said:
7.0 the only way to go! a midsized v-8 would not be a good seller because all the people that would be buying them would be wasting their time trying to keep up with a 7.0 anyway. A v-6 will fit the bill fine because if you could upgrade a v-6 and smoke a stang that would be sweet!
That's all fine if the pricing is right. If the HiPo V6 costs as much as a Mustang GT who wouldn't buy a V8 GT instead?

The SS has to be priced close to a Mustang GT if this lineup is going to work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chris 96 WS6 said:
That's all fine if the pricing is right. If the HiPo V6 costs as much as a Mustang GT who wouldn't buy a V8 GT instead?

The SS has to be priced close to a Mustang GT if this lineup is going to work.
Exactly. I'm concerned that this Camaro lineup will cost significantly more than the Mustang. If that's the case, than they aren't going to sell many. And enthusiasts like us appreciate the 3.6/6.2/7.0, but what about young kids and chicks, who will most likely make up a large part of Camaro sales, who want a cheap V6 Camaro to tool around in that won't kill them on insurance? Chevy would be losing an awful lot of sales if they didn't market a Camaro for that group.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,152 Posts
ChevroletMan said:
Exactly. I'm concerned that this Camaro lineup will cost significantly more than the Mustang. If that's the case, than they aren't going to sell many. And enthusiasts like us appreciate the 3.6/6.2/7.0, but what about young kids and chicks, who will most likely make up a large part of Camaro sales, who want a cheap V6 Camaro to tool around in that won't kill them on insurance? Chevy would be losing an awful lot of sales if they didn't market a Camaro for that group.
The 3.6 would be that V6 market :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
861 Posts
why worry about a hi-po v-6 because the camaro has never been a multicam car I think that the camaro will have to cost more the mustang because of the independant suspension and the fact that this car is more modern than any mustang before!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
863 Posts
Lets remember the V6 car can't be a stripped down boring econobox...because nobody will buy it.

They have to make a V6 people WANT. I think the HFV6 is a good idea for that segment as long as its priced right. My 5.3L argument was that it was probably cheaper to produce than the HFV6 and probably lighter too...with cylinder deactivation it would probably get better MPG too.
 
1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Top