Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help with what kind of exhaust to put on the Camaro. I would like to stay with a cat back. Not sure whether to go with long tube or shorty headers. I'm thinking of stainless works exhaust systems. I have an exhaust on the car, I am not sure which one(came with the car, bought it slightly used) and want to start over.
I am somewhat sure that its a GM performance exhaust, but not sure on how to tell. Thanks, any input would be greatly appreciated,

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
try and hear as many as you can in person....hard to tell from youtube clips.

Shorty headers wont get you all that much in terms of performance gain, but wont require a tune like LT's do.

Not sure, but I think the GM perf exhaust says GM Perf Parts on the mufflers or tips?? It's made by borla (the same as the borla "touring system")...probably a nice system, but tame in terms of loudness.

It really depends on what you're looking for....do you just want it as loud as possible? do you want a deep tone or more raspy? Keep in mind a lot of systems w/ the LT headers will drone. I have the complete American Racing system (LT's hi-flow cats & mufflers). It's not loud at idle, but comes to life when you get on it...and has no drone at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course as I would like it to sound great, I would rather have the performance. Thats more important to me.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
For performance...definitely go with 1-7/8" LT headers & high-flow cats...you can't go wrong with one of the complete systems from ARH, Kooks or Stainless Works. I think Stainless Works is the loudest of the 3, not sure about drone though.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The GMPP exhaust is a nice piece, but overpriced and really not what a lot of people are after, performance wise and sound wise. We've removed and thrown away several GMPP kits, due to their owners getting tired of them.

Your goals, emissions, and warranty thoughts/requirements, will determine what headers to use.
Long tubes will give more sound and a lot more power, but require a tune, often voiding warranty, and sometimes going against strict emissions regulations.
Shorties will have some more power, a little more sound, but do not require a tune, do not effect emissions, and usually don't effect warranty (depending on dealer).
However, down the road, you'll most likely be wishing you had just gone for the long tubes.

Our most common setup is the Kooks long tube headers, Kooks high flow cats, and the Magnaflow Comp Series cat back exhaust.
It has excellent power gains, sounds great at idle and normal driving (not too loud), then when you get on it, it sounds amazing, with just the right amount of "look at me" volume. This setup also has no drone.

Call us for the best prices!
- Jeremy

·
Registered
387 Posts
don't forget to look at Texas Speed Systems also. They have nice systems and very reasonably priced.

·
Registered
387 Posts
You wont be disappointed. I recently purchased their 1 7/8 LT's, High Flow Cats and 3 inch Cat back. I have not installed it yet as I am in Afghanistan but I will be home to do it in October.

My shop actually recommended them to me.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I like the OBX but I got a deal on the Texas Speed Full System. My shop recommended I go to a 3 inch system with my future upgrades in mind.

I am Former Army. I am actually a contractor now but thank you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts