Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at getting a new laptop recently, and have it narrowed down between Dell and HP. I'm not a hardcore gamer or anything like that so I dont need any crazy video card or huge HD. Just an everyday use laptop for music, pictures etc. I tried pricing these out on each site and it looks like best buy is actually cheaper then the main sites are, if thats possible, and I would be able to pick it up that day. The 2 I have it down to are similar, with just a few things that I am unsure about as far as whats better or practical. Things like Intel or AMD, 6 cell battery vs 9 cell etc... I have a Dell right now that is 3.5 yrs old, it still works pretty good,but its getting slower and I think its time to upgrade. If some of you computer guys, even people that have personal exprience with these models would take a look at what I am considering, I would greatly appreciate any and all input. After you go into the link, just click on the highlight differences. Thats where im stuck, they both have pros and cons. If you can take a couple mins and vote on which u think is better that would be great. Thanks a lot in advance

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat13504&type=page&pageIdentity=searchDriven&useProductString=true&productString=1218231024657*1218243758022&unProductString=1218240959370*1218240959170*1218242192022*1218246222297*1218243227128*1218240381935*1218240956241*1218268436255&catId=

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
HP definitely. Mine has been quite the workhorse. I even use it as a HD media center PC in my living room connected to my 55" LCD.

I've been a sys admin, and supported just about everything. We've had very few problems with HP, and I just can't say the same thing about Dells.

Remember that annoying stoner kid Steven in the Dell commercials?

"Dude, you've got a Dell." is a term of derision where I work, used when yet another Dell goes belly up during an important project.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Interesting that HP seems to be the industrial choice (we have them at work too). At home, we've had no issues with any of our Dell's, which is what I'm on right now. We also have 2 HP's. Haven't had any issues with any of them, either. My old Compaq, however...different story.

If I were going to be doing the "family photo" thing mainly, besides an occasional movie or serious work, then I'd choose HP over the Dell. It's mainly the software piece of it anyway for the photo gallery thing, not necessarily performance. The wife likes to print out pictures and such and once the picture paper is loaded in the printer, just a few clicks and presto. Instant picture. Just an opinion.

I'm not any sort of IT system admin, but computers usually don't get slower unless there's some major fragmentation of the hard drive, running too many tasks at once, or you have some sort of virus.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Dell. In my hands on experience they are built better. Go and actually get your hands on them before you buy. You most likely will find the case/LCD stiffer/stronger with less "flex" on the Dell. Their parts are more available and less "proprietary" than HP. Have been using and professionally supporting Dell's for 10 years at work. Had HP's before that and they were a nightmare... YRMV.

·
Registered
720 Posts
imo, i got a $250 Emachines laptop from walmart last year, and that thing is running strong and can play most games i throw at it....Emachines is the best bang for the buck out there

·
Registered
588 Posts
All my Dell's overheated. I maintained 300 at SC Johnson...HP for desktops, and Thinkpads were my choice for laptops ever since.
Have you had to deal with Lenovo since they took over for IBM?

What a nightmare. Not only do they cost more, I wound up getting a Lenovo without wireless I guess because it was "my fault" and not a fault of their website.

I buy the recommended model card and it didn't work. Lenovo chips the components so that only their 2x the price cards will work in their systems. Even though I got an Intel Pro 6500 wireless card it still wouldn't work.

I seriously despise Lenovo after the way I was treated and how picky they are on their systems.

I still prefer Dell, specially if anyone asks me because I can submit the warranty claims and get the parts if needed.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Dell Studio's are pretty nice...I own a 17' version and my wife has the 15'. Dell XPS's for both the boys and they've never had an issue from them. I've owned Dell exclusively since 2000 and have been happy with them as well as the warranties they come with.

I'm a brand loyalist as you can see...much like with Chevy and my Camaro!

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
Have you had to deal with Lenovo since they took over for IBM?

What a nightmare. Not only do they cost more, I wound up getting a Lenovo without wireless I guess because it was "my fault" and not a fault of their website.

I buy the recommended model card and it didn't work. Lenovo chips the components so that only their 2x the price cards will work in their systems. Even though I got an Intel Pro 6500 wireless card it still wouldn't work.

I seriously despise Lenovo after the way I was treated and how picky they are on their systems.

I still prefer Dell, specially if anyone asks me because I can submit the warranty claims and get the parts if needed.
Lenovo also had a worm embedded that would "phone home" to PRC on all their notebooks awhile back. DOD found out and banned use of them in their facilities.

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
Dell is Great and HP is great it all comes down to preference and what you need and want.... Currently im using a Sony Vaio

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have had both Dell and HP thru the years and both have pros and cons. The two that you are comparing was an easy choice. The Dell has a faster processor and 2 more gigs of memory for $100 more. The i5 is a real nice processor and should serve your needs for years to come. Memory is usually the reason that computers act slow. The more memory usually the faster it will work and teamed with a faster processor and everything else being relatively equal, go with the Dell.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the input everyone. Nothing against HP, but I was leaning towards Dell from the start. It was kind of hard not to considering that is what I am using now. They both seem pretty good, but more then likely i am going to stick with Dell. Once again thanks everyone, and have a great holiday

1 - 20 of 27 Posts