Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done reading a thread on another site talking about engine oil. I was wondering what does everyone here use or plan to use? The thread I read pretty much trashed Mobile 1 Synthetic.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have stayed with the Castrol product line so I will probably be using the new Castrol Edge product after the breakin period. I have used the Castrol line in my Silverado for 250,000 miles and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The reason some people like to trash Mobil is because they run a profitable business. They have a great product & besides, there are only two chemical companies that make the synthetic base stock, the oil companies just add their own additives to fit what they are marketing the oil for.
I would stick with what the factory fill is at least until the powertrain warranty is up & that is to 100,000 miles.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I'm comfortable sticking with Mobil 1.

I've see tons of bashing on Fram oil filters...I'd never buy one just in case it's true.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used to use Mobil1 in my Jetta (I know its not a Camaro), but noticed some metal flakes. So I put in a magnetic plug and the next oil change confirmed the metal flakes. I switched to royal purple and havent had any issues and much less metal metal floating around. Next thing I started using was the Fram Tough Guard filters and now there are no metal flakes on the drain plug. I am thinking of trying out Castrol, my friend interns for them and has done the comparison testing. It may be bias but Castrol always does well.
Anyway, check with the warranty, if you do not want to risk voiding it, make sure you can use a different oil.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I will be switching to Royal Purple for all the fluids.

I have been running it for the past 10 yrs in pretty much everything I own.. yes even my lawn mower without any problems.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
I have stayed with the Castrol product line so I will probably be using the new Castrol Edge product after the breakin period. I have used the Castrol line in my Silverado for 250,000 miles and have never had a problem.
Me too, but I've only got 193K on my Silverado. Syntec WORKS!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've been a Penzoil guy most of my automotive life, but I'll stick with Mobile-1 in this car. If GM saw fit to put it in the car in the first place, that's good enough for me.

:5go:
Yep. No chance they can void your warranty for using an oil not approved by them. I am going to tell the dealer Mobil 1 and if they put something else in it then the engine damage is on them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 in everything I own since I spun the rod bearings in my '69 Buick Gran Sport in 1994. I have not had an e oil-related engine since. I will stick with Mobil 1 in my '10 Camaro.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Yep. No chance they can void your warranty for using an oil not approved by them. I am going to tell the dealer Mobil 1 and if they put something else in it then the engine damage is on them.

if you take your Gm vehicle to the dealership and have the oil change I believe they put mobil 1 in it anyways. Especially Sports car....its what comes in the car.

·
Registered
127 Posts
240,000+ miles, on my 98 Z28 on Castrol SYNTEC, so I'll probably go to the new EDGE when I get my 2010.

·
Registered
523 Posts
i worked/managed a 10 min oil change for 15 years.im confident in saying mobil 1 and castrol syntec 5w50 are thee best oils you can buy.royal purple is for extreme heat / above 10,000*f but also a very good oil.

change your oil w/ sythetic every 10,000miles= max. and every 2,500 to 3,000 miles with conventional oil you should never have a problem.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts