Modern Camaro Forums banner

which oil?

5K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  SC2150 
#1 · (Edited)
I was considering changing my oil for the first time at 1500 miles and was wondering; does everyone start running a full synthetic oil on there first oil change? or staying with that blend GM puts in? I've also done a few burnouts (couldn't help it) starting after 200miles on car how bad do you guys think I have ruined anything?

#2 ·
The V8 is Mobil1 from the factory.

#10 ·
I chose most of my mods before purchasing my SGM last year. So I told the dealership what I wanted, gave them a list and they made it all happen. They subcontracted most of the work out to Quantum Performance and Classic Soft Trim...and it all took over 3 months...but it was all done before I took final delivery.

#8 ·
Please tell me why eveyone had a hard-on for M1??

First it's not a Full Synthetic! It's really a blend. It's aprox 12% synthetic.

It's a PAO III not a POA IV which is a full synthetic. Amsoil is a base IV synthetic oil.

Second M1 5W30, last time I checked doesn't even meets GM's standards. Do some research before you say you're using a full synthetic oil.

And I use royal purple. A FULL SYnTHeTiC.

#11 · (Edited)
FYI:

Mobil1 is FACTORY FILL for the SS. It DOES meet GM's standards. I looked it up.
However, there are no "magic molecules", special dyes or "Mr. G's Super Tough Protectant" additives pushed by has-been racers in it. It just works.

#13 ·
Yeah it just meets the standard. M1 has paid millions to put that M1 logo on our oil caps. It's not because GM thinks it's the best oil, they won the bidding war. Just like BMW won with Castrol SYN.

As for what you just said...Well that's kind of true but what makes a real synthetic oil is polyalphaolefin (PAO) Group IV base stocks. Most oils are now a Group III base stock. Unless you buy IV is not a real synthetic oil.
Amsoil uses group IV and Mobil 1 does not.

There are many oils out there that call themselves synthetic, but not all are created equal, and that's important to know. You do get what you pay for. Group III synthetic oils only use about 12% synthetic base stocks. The rest is hyrdocracked petroleum base stocks. For major oil companies who have their money in crude oil refining, the word "synthetic" is merely a marketing term. It does not mean 100%, but just that a percentage of synthetic base stock goes into their product.

#18 ·
I was told yesterday, that any thing but M1 (DEX) 5-30w will void your Warranty ??

#20 ·
Dexos rated blend is part of the reason the timing chains stretch prematurely on the V6 engines, only use a good full synthetic. M1 full synthetic is full synthetic according to M1 (and what they advertise it as on the bottle) but for a mainstream full syn I prefer Castrol Edge over it. Amsoil will be a top pick for a premium oil along with any of the other premium full synthetics.

The warranty states a grade equal to or exceeding the rating.

The V8 engine that comes with M1 full syn from the factory is far less complex as the V6 with it's overhead cams, 3 timing chains, and oil pressure dependent chain tensioners.

I would never run the Dexos blend in one aside from initial break-in where it does allow better ring seating during the first 400-500 mile window before the cylinder walls galze and the ring seating window has passed.

#22 ·
We wont run RP. Back when they were the title sponsor for the class we ran in IHRA we had to run it. Could not keep it from taking out bearings and cranks/cams. Have had good luck w/redline, Joe Gibbs, Amsoil, etc. Now to give RP some leeway, it has been many years since then and they may have improved it, but at the price of the engines, and the risk of failure during a race we will never risk it again.

#25 ·
...but...but...but it's......PURPLE!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.