Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered at 11.00am on 10/13/08. I ordered a 1SS. I have been on the phone with Chevrolet about six times already and no one will give me any information about when or if they are going to start building my car. I am so sick of their answers that I am seriously considering cancelling and getting an SRT8 Challenger. I now know why they are going bankrupt. All I want is a build date confirmation and they say that my car is in the system but that they cannot tell me that. I am standing here money in hand and they refuse to give me any info. They were not very shy about going to Washington for our tax dollars. What gives? This will be my fourth Camaro. I have been a loyal Chevy customer. This is my reward?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I ordered at 11.00am on 10/13/08. I ordered a 1SS. I have been on the phone with Chevrolet about six times already and no one will give me any information about when or if they are going to start building my car. I am so sick of their answers that I am seriously considering cancelling and getting an SRT8 Challenger. I now know why they are going bankrupt. All I want is a build date confirmation and they say that my car is in the system but that they cannot tell me that. I am standing here money in hand and they refuse to give me any info. They were not very shy about going to Washington for our tax dollars. What gives? This will be my fourth Camaro. I have been a loyal Chevy customer. This is my reward?

did you call your dealer???

the waiting is pissin' me off too, but I'm not gonna rush off and do anything crazy like buy a Challenger.;)

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
They've said all along that cars can be built any time through Q3 2009 (September) - and your dealer plays a BIG role in when it gets submitted. Your dealer is in a better position to give an estimate than 1-800 Customer assistance.

Oh, and if you DO go get a Challenger - don't take a corner too fast....(and watch the resale - Dodge gets beat up good since there's no second owner warranty)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have called my dealer and talked to him a bunch of times in the last week and he cannot get any info either. He told me that he was allocated 5 cars and told to prioritze them and that he prioritized me number 1 because I was the first one to order from him. It's not the wait that is pissing me off, it is the lack of any kind of answer. If they said that my car would be built on a certain target date, that would be OK. What they are doing is "I don't know nuthin". I am here money in hand looking for an answer. I don't want the car at the beginning of our winter. That is why I ordered sight unseen in good faith on the 13th of October.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
They've said all along that cars can be built any time through Q3 2009 (September) - and your dealer plays a BIG role in when it gets submitted. Your dealer is in a better position to give an estimate than 1-800 Customer assistance.
What if there is a constraint (CGM paint)? Can the order get submitted before the constraint is lifted and what influence does the dealer have on that happening?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have called my dealer and talked to him a bunch of times in the last week and he cannot get any info either. He told me that he was allocated 5 cars and told to prioritze them and that he prioritized me number 1 because I was the first one to order from him. It's not the wait that is pissing me off, it is the lack of any kind of answer. If they said that my car would be built on a certain target date, that would be OK. What they are doing is "I don't know nuthin". I am here money in hand looking for an answer. I don't want the car at the beginning of our winter. That is why I ordered sight unseen in good faith on the 13th of October.
did your dealer give you your 6 alpha-numeric code (nyhten <---example) if he did then he can look up that number and be able to tell you where you stand at code wise. like code 1100,3000,3800 etc...the dealer has all that info, if you never got that code then it is possible they didn't order your car

·
Registered
262 Posts
Waiting

I ordered a 2SS/RS in January and my dealer just can't tell me anything. I've received a nice letter and picture from GM thanking me for my order, so I know at least they have the order. They should be able to at least tell you something. My dealer is saying July 09.

2SS/RS A6 Blk stripes.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I think GM has mis-handled this. They handled it like any other order/pre-order, but with the quantity of orders, they should have set up something special. My interpretation of this is the following-

HOW THEY ARE HANDLING IT
1. They are letting the dealer determine the order in which that particular dealer's order are entered.
2. They are giving dealers their allocations only as they get a slot for a build.
3. They have no understandable logical pattern for how they give out dealer allocations and they don't tell dealers when they are going to get an allocation.

HOW THEY SHOULD HAVE HANDLED IT
1. Accept in a larger batch of pre-orders rather than just at 2 week intervals (or even take them all in). Arrange those orders in what ever way they want (preferrably by date ordered) to build them and then inform the dealer of their spot in line.
2. Maintain that list so it is easy for someone to see where they are in line and dealers can give their customers an accurate feel for it. I know they wouldn't want to give dates, but even things like "as of today, there are 520 people ahead of you" would be good enough. We could see progress.

WHAT THEY SHOULD DO NOW
1. Get the dealers an estimate of when they will receive allocations rather than this "By September 2009" line. Then the dealer will at least be able to say to hddan or anyone else "We expect our first allocation to come the first week of April, and that is yours".

I FEEL it is the DEALERS who should be COMPLAINING to GM on our behalf. Maybe there is nothing they can do, but your DEALER CANNOT DO ANYTHING if they have not received an allocation. There must be someone at GM they can call and say "Hey, when are we gonna get an allocation?"

I am completely content to wait. I like to be the first with new things, but I am ok with seeing other Camaros on the street before I have mine. A month or 2 isn't going to kill me.

-Brad

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
what is your status code? i find it helps to just track your status code and at least you can see when it updates. if you don't have your status code, get it from your dealer.

GM has to build 14,000 pre-sold camaros and everyone wants their car NOW! just relax a little bit. until your car reaches 3300/3400 status, they really can't tell you when it will be produced. i'm not sure how they pull orders for production, but i'm sure they have their hands full juggling orders into the queue... like i know they spray paint colors in batches so then they have to decide which orders to pull in the color batch... etc.

there are a lot of people who ordered on 10/13 that don't have a production date on their cars yet. there are a TON of factors that determine when your order gets pulled and i don't even know all of them...

so just take some deep breaths and stock up on some beer cuz we'll all celebrate with you when your order gets a TPW!

:cheers:

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you want to see how things are developing, go to the below site and get the spreadsheet of info on the VIN progression. Once on your computer, sort the columns and look at what it tells you. Such as, sort A-Z on the Dealer column and see which dealers are getting more than others. Sort by state and see the same thing, etc. Absolutely sort the trim level column and you will see that a GREAT majority of the Camaros made, thus far, are 2SS.

All of this, of course, is depending upon the accuracy of the data presented.

You will need Microsoft Excel 97-2003 (or newer) to open, or have a spreadsheet program that can convert it to the other.

http://home.earthlink.net/~heinzd01/Camaro/2010_Camaro_VINS.xls

·
Registered
395 Posts
If you want to see how things are developing, go to the below site and get the spreadsheet of info on the VIN progression. Once on your computer, sort the columns and look at what it tells you. Such as, sort A-Z on the Dealer column and see which dealers are getting more than others. Sort by state and see the same thing, etc. Absolutely sort the trim level column and you will see that a GREAT majority of the Camaros made, thus far, are 2SS.

All of this, of course, is depending upon the accuracy of the data presented.

http://home.earthlink.net/~heinzd01/Camaro/2010_Camaro_VINS.xls
hmmm couldnt open the file

·
Registered
21 Posts
JC Dawson Jr- that site is either BS or way the hell off. You can't me that in the first 1000 there are only 4 Inferno Oranges made. Get with the program Jr.

·
Registered
913 Posts
JC Dawson Jr- that site is either BS or way the hell off. You can't me that in the first 1000 there are only 4 Inferno Oranges made. Get with the program Jr.
I'll vouch for that spreadsheet. Keep in mind you're not seeing any Canadian cars nor any of the dealer V6's. You're only seeing roughly 1/4 of the cars that have been produced.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You will note that the spreadsheet, with the current data, represents only 301 of the 1050 vins issued. It tells me that the data and info is still being acquired and added to the spreadsheet.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I believe those are only cars that dealers have had moved into there inventory, no? And sadly the only mention of cyber grey is the striping :0(

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what is your status code? i find it helps to just track your status code and at least you can see when it updates. if you don't have your status code, get it from your dealer.

GM has to build 14,000 pre-sold camaros and everyone wants their car NOW! just relax a little bit. until your car reaches 3300/3400 status, they really can't tell you when it will be produced. i'm not sure how they pull orders for production, but i'm sure they have their hands full juggling orders into the queue... like i know they spray paint colors in batches so then they have to decide which orders to pull in the color batch... etc.

there are a lot of people who ordered on 10/13 that don't have a production date on their cars yet. there are a TON of factors that determine when your order gets pulled and i don't even know all of them...

so just take some deep breaths and stock up on some beer cuz we'll all celebrate with you when your order gets a TPW!

:cheers:
I am not one of the "I want it right now" people. I have patience for the wait. What I want is an approximate when. I ordered on 10/13/08 @ 11am. I think that it is reasonable that they should be able to telll me something. You already have a VIN. When did you order? I got my 2 form letters and picture with some other number that says order # on it. If I am waiting for them to decide to pick my order for some magical code to be put on it, they should tell me so I can cancel. I came close to buying a 2007 Vette with 4921 miles on it for the same money as the SS last week. It is the lack of any answer that is really agravating me. This is a poor way to do buisness.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
HdDan sounds like to me your dealer is dragging his A$$ !!!!
I sure hope you get the info you have been waiting for soon.
I wouldnt make the mistake of running off and getting a challenger
however if you do so good luck with whatever choice you make.

I think this is a good prime example why we sold so many cars to the public here in the DFW area. Every Dealer Me , My Family and Friends have all dealed with have ordered what we wanted and got us our info with in a few days to a week if posible. If nothing was there we got legit answers not " I dont know "
A good dealer keeps a Customer HAPPY. Sounds like to me your Dealer isnt so into selling cars and keeping his customer.

Hang in there and think positive the first year for production for any car better yet a much wanted car is going to be hectic.

But I do agree GM could do things a lot better than they are doing in the sales department.

GOOD LUCK :thumbsup:

·
Registered
470 Posts
I am not one of the "I want it right now" people. I have patience for the wait. What I want is an approximate when. I ordered on 10/13/08 @ 11am. I think that it is reasonable that they should be able to telll me something. You already have a VIN. When did you order?
Salena is a Diciple, like Tim (Octane5GO). They are amoung a group of (I think) 15 Camaro enthusiasts who have been involved in the Production of the 5th Gen. I don't know too much about it, but I know they have been consulted over the past few years, been allowed to view and drive early pre-production versions, etc. They were included and involved with GM from very early on in the Camaro development process and I'm sure their input is part of what has made this such a great car!

-Brad

·
Registered
470 Posts
HdDan sounds like to me your dealer is dragging his A$$ !!!!
If GM isn't giving the dealer any allocation, then they will not be able to do anything. The question you should be giving you dealer is "Who can you call at GM to find out why they haven't given you any Camaro allocations yet and when are you going to get one?"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts