Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first time you bought a third gen, why did you do it?

I was pretty broke, but needed a car, It had to be RWD, Manual, and v8. Noto to many options out there for 1000. So I looked on craigslist for Months, I went and looked at some pretty ratty cars, v6's even. Until one day a car was posted without a picture, 1986 firebird, 305, 5 spd, body in great shape, hardtop, and good interior. So I went to look at it and sure enough it was everything the guy told me, it wouldnt start so I went and bought a battery, he took that out of the asking price and I drove it home.
So anyway I got the car for $950. I put some different wheels on it, and some t/a tail lights. It was pretty gutless, as most 305's are, but it was a fun car, felt faster than it was.

its long gone now, but Ive had a third gen ever since :D

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Loooooooooooooooon story short, I couldn't find a Fox Body Mustang that was reasonably priced. I grew up wanting a v8, 5 speed muscle car and I when I bought my Z28 I knew I wasn't going to keep it long. I put a lot of money into it, and I actually regret buying it.... I outgrew the 305/auto is about a month or 2. All I did after that was dump money into a car that didn't look like it needed any!

After that I bought a '88 T/A GTA. A 355tpi and some other goodies, but it ended up being a fluke and I sold it for about $1000. I used that money to get my Z28's tranny fixed and I was so fed up with the Fbodies that I almost took a loan out for a Fox. :eek:

I had a lot of fun with the fbodies in highschool. Snow drifting in the school lots and practicing my burnouts on back roads. I'll be buying another one soon enough, or 2 or 3. :D

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I simply wanted a new car. My dad had shown me pre-pro pics of the new 82 Camaro when I was home on leave and as soon as I could, I ordered one sight unseen. Dark metallic blue Z28 with T-tops, velour, loaded out. Only thing I hated about it was the goofy console analog clock. Besides it not having very much power. I had the dealer put on the metal "shadow" louvers in the back before I picked it up. At the time it was cool. Super expensive for me at $13K and change out the door, but by God, I was going to own it. And own it I did.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was looking for a fox at the time too.

Loooooooooooooooon story short, I couldn't find a Fox Body Mustang that was reasonably priced. I grew up wanting a v8, 5 speed muscle car and I when I bought my Z28 I knew I wasn't going to keep it long. I put a lot of money into it, and I actually regret buying it.... I outgrew the 305/auto is about a month or 2. All I did after that was dump money into a car that didn't look like it needed any!

After that I bought a '88 T/A GTA. A 355tpi and some other goodies, but it ended up being a fluke and I sold it for about $1000. I used that money to get my Z28's tranny fixed and I was so fed up with the Fbodies that I almost took a loan out for a Fox. :eek:

I had a lot of fun with the fbodies in highschool. Snow drifting in the school lots and practicing my burnouts on back roads. I'll be buying another one soon enough, or 2 or 3. :D

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Since I've had both a Camaro and T/A, I'm not sure that this time around I want to buy a nice one or buy a Fox, I can't decide. I've been wanting a fox for almost 5 years now, and pretty soon I'm going to splurge.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since I've had both a Camaro and T/A, I'm not sure that this time around I want to buy a nice one or buy a Fox, I can't decide. I've been wanting a fox for almost 5 years now, and pretty soon I'm going to splurge.
Go fox body with an LSX :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
The first time you bought a third gen, why did you do it?

I was pretty broke, but needed a car, It had to be RWD, Manual, and v8. Noto to many options out there for 1000. So I looked on craigslist for Months, I went and looked at some pretty ratty cars, v6's even. Until one day a car was posted without a picture, 1986 firebird, 305, 5 spd, body in great shape, hardtop, and good interior. So I went to look at it and sure enough it was everything the guy told me, it wouldnt start so I went and bought a battery, he took that out of the asking price and I drove it home.
So anyway I got the car for $950. I put some different wheels on it, and some t/a tail lights. It was pretty gutless, as most 305's are, but it was a fun car, felt faster than it was.

its long gone now, but Ive had a third gen ever since :D

For less then $1000? Looks like you got an awesome ride for the price.

I've never owned a 3rd gen, but I will some day. Growing up watching Knight Rider, I always what to build Kit. When I was a senior in HS, I used to go to dealers and test drive cars for fun. I drove an 88 Iroc that had a 305 in it. Loved the looks, the handling, but was very disappointed in the power. I felt like my Lumina Euro could have dusted it.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
For less then $1000? Looks like you got an awesome ride for the price.

I've never owned a 3rd gen, but I will some day. Growing up watching Knight Rider, I always what to build Kit. When I was a senior in HS, I used to go to dealers and test drive cars for fun. I drove an 88 Iroc that had a 305 in it. Loved the looks, the handling, but was very disappointed in the power. I felt like my Lumina Euro could have dusted it.
I'm the same. Currently looking and might pick one up before the year is out of things go my way. At first I was always a 2nd Gener, until I actually drove an 88 Base Firebird Coupe with a 383 TPI transplant. Whole car literally shook.

If it wasn't for the poor overall condition of the electronics; I'd have picked it up. Since then I've always loved me those "Turd Gens". Such simplistic and capable starter vehicles.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Not that anyone cares what I think lol...

I'd wanted a Thirdgen since I was 10. There were a bunch of highschoolers that had them when I was in third and fourth grade and I sat out by the road everyday to watch them go by. One was a '91 Z28 hardtop, it was repainted a yellowish "cream" color and it had black GTA rims on it. That car was mint, and a 350tpi. It was a really cool ride and sounded amazing. There was a blue '87 Iroc-z with T-tops and a 350tpi that was there too, thing sounded like crap (exhaust was rusted through) but I thought it was the coolest car in the world. Another guy had a '89 RS, burgundy, hardtop, 305 5-speed with louvers... I loved that car too lol. One of my favorites was the black '92 RS, t-tops, 5-speed, mint condition. I fell for that car lol. I think I remember seeing a white 91-92 RS as well going in and out of the parking lot. Then there was a guy with a light blue Formula 350 with a 5-speed. The last Thirdgen I remember seeing there was a early 80's Z28. White with purple and blue stripes down the side and modded to hell. I later found out that that the girl who owned it had found it in a reposessed car lot and was taken from drug dealers who had suped it up to use it to run from the police. In later years, there was a '90 RS, white with the grey bottom and a 5-speed that was driven by a chick. Most of those cars were beat to hell, crashed, sold, not sure what all happened to them, but the only one that I think is still around here is the '90 RS and that was repainted and bought by a guy last year that I met. I'd love to see all those cars again, if they are still around, I grew up drooling over them all.

So the years went by, I went through so many fazes. First I wanted and Iroc-z, then a 91-92 RS, the list went on.

Finally in 2007 after working for a year I found a '91 teal RS with T-tops and 100k miles that I fell for. Tried to pry it from the owner, but she wouldn't budge. I eventually found my current car on eBay Motors, in Orlando, Florida, the price seemed too good to be true and it was. I paid $2,000 for it and shipped it to my house. It had tons of problems but I loved it to death and it's still in my possession lol. I was the ONLY person with a Thirdgen in my highschool. It's all hicks with trucks now. Wish I had been around with my car in the mid to late 90's when half the high school parking lot was Thirdgens.

I love the styling, powerplants, everything about Thirdgens! I was kind of late to the party with mine, actually the party had already ended lol. But it was still a pretty cool car and it got a lot of looks!

Went to a highschool basketball game the other night ago (my bro plays varsity) and there are now two Thirdgens there. I red '84 Z with a 4 bolt main, and a black '86 Iroc-z with the red gfx stripes with a 305tpi and T-tops.

Funny thing is even when I was little, I found out all the names of the people who owned those cars and I still remember them... I should facebook them and ask where the hell those cars went lol.

·
Registered
359 Posts
So I actually got in touch with the previous owner of the cream Z! He was amazed that I remembered his car! We talked at length (I did not tell him that LO3 > L98 btw) lol. He even attached some old pictures of the car... someday I'll build one just like this :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
when i was much younger i admired 3rd gens for the most part the 89-92 camaros were the ones i favored. and like the saying goes never meet your childhood superhero. i ended up buying a 89 tpi 5 speed iroc when i turned 18 needless to say the car had to go shortly thereafter:angry:. to me the cars are piles of **** and it always reminded me of why family and freinds warned me against buying one. everyone that i knew who owned one had pretty much the same opinion as well.:thumbsup: apologies to anyone who loves one but thats just how it went for me.:(

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
when i was much younger i admired 3rd gens for the most part the 89-92 camaros were the ones i favored. and like the saying goes never meet your childhood superhero. i ended up buying a 89 tpi 5 speed iroc when i turned 18 needless to say the car had to go shortly thereafter:angry:. to me the cars are piles of **** and it always reminded me of why family and freinds warned me against buying one. everyone that i knew who owned one had pretty much the same opinion as well.:thumbsup: apologies to anyone who loves one but thats just how it went for me.:(
Yeah, seems the story du jure of second/third/umpteenth hand third gens. Fun to mod and use; but generally get abused after all that time and turn into rust buckets. The lucky ones find a little old granny car; like I did. Still waiting, but if I do end up with it I know I'm going to enjoy it.

Otherwise I'd just hold out for a 5th gen in 3-5 years (used w/ 40Kish miles). Though a Pontiac 455/TH400 setup in a 3100lb-ish car just seems... funner. :D

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, seems the story du jure of second/third/umpteenth hand third gens. Fun to mod and use; but generally get abused after all that time and turn into rust buckets. The lucky ones find a little old granny car; like I did. Still waiting, but if I do end up with it I know I'm going to enjoy it.

Otherwise I'd just hold out for a 5th gen in 3-5 years (used w/ 40Kish miles). Though a Pontiac 455/TH400 setup in a 3100lb-ish car just seems... funner. :D
I met a guy at the track this summer who had a 4th gen, shaker hood, white with a blue stripe ( like the early 70's) and a 455 in it.

I dont see third gen with a 455 in it being 3100, those are heavy motors, almost as heavy as a big block chevy. My car with an ls1 in it weighs 3200, ls1 is lighter than a gen 1 small block, which is lighter than a big block.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts