Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are plenty of us here who do not yet own a new Camaro. Some are posting because they simply love Camaros, but do not yet have the means to purchase one. Others are waiting in hopes of the next "big thing" to become available like the convertible and Z28. Maybe others are hoping for some changes to the car before making the commitment.

So, for those who haven't pulled the trigger, why not?

Several reasons why I have not yet purchased a Black/black 1SS 6 speed with polished wheels:

#1 - My fiance would kill me! Ok, really, it's more considering that we haven't purchased a house yet. I don't want to screw anything up with getting a mortgage in the next 6 months, and if I purchased a car and it came down to my decision holding us back, I'd never hear the end of it (rightfully so!).

#2 - I still struggle with the whole "save $15k and buy a 4th gen" scenario. I didn't really fall in love with my 5th gen drive at Carlisle this past summer, so I figured another 4th gen would suit my tastes better. I graduated HS in 2001, and my dream car was a brand new black SS, 6 speed with t-tops. Then again, it is the 5th gen, and I just want one!

#3 - I hate the placement of the OnStar/XM antenna, and the reverse lights. I *hope* they have at least considered doing the integrated antenna like the C6, as well as doing something with the reverse lights so they do not look like they were an afterthought. I keep saying Chevrolet had no problem adding those reverse sensors and passing the cost to the consumer, so why not do something about the antenna/reverse lights?

#4 - The Z28 has to be coming, right?! :D Why not save some more money and hold out for 550hp? That might just make me forget of my 4th gen dreams! Not to mention, purchasing a 2012 would be pretty neat as it would be the 45th anniversary.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
Why buy used? Unless your paying for it cash it really doesn't make sense. You can never get 0% financing on a used car.
Why should I eat the depreciation? There are plenty of other people willing to do that for me :D

It'll be a few years for me anyway. Can't see shelling out + $30K for a car anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Why should I eat the depreciation? There are plenty of other people willing to do that for me :D

It'll be a few years for me anyway. Can't see shelling out + $30K for a car anyway.

Buying used it the best. I would do that with a Camaro, but I would have to be extremely anal on the inspection and service records.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Divorce almost final. Decided on a 1SS/M6 and will upgrade to the Halo's through Advanced (Sponsor here).

Now finding a 1SS in the color I want - (ABM - found one 200 miles away and the local dealerships have no interest in a trade since the the dealer with the car is at MSRP).

Finding one at MSRP that will take the CU discount, GM loyalty cash, and GM Points.

Picking a color when I don't find ABM.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I don't have a job, my wife doesn't have a job, an we're both in college. We also don't have anyone supporting us.

So, money is mainly the issue. Plus my Mustang is faster! :p

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
If I had the money, your number 3 explains it perfectly.
Your post had me respond to #3.

#3 - I hate the placement of the OnStar/XM antenna, and the reverse lights. I *hope* they have at least considered doing the integrated antenna like the C6, as well as doing something with the reverse lights so they do not look like they were an afterthought. I keep saying Chevrolet had no problem adding those reverse sensors and passing the cost to the consumer, so why not do something about the antenna/reverse lights?
Many vehicles have the antenna in or near that location. I'm sure it looks better than off to the side than the fullsize GM trucks had for many years. Comparing the antenna to a safety feature like backup sensors is like comparing apples to oranges. Automakers cannot please everyone with things like that, if they did not have the backup sensors, they would be criticized. If they were an option, the cost of the car would go up even more being there would be two versions of the rear bumper and electrical system and more.

When it comes to the backup lamps - Where would you guys prefer the reverse lamps and backup sensors were located?

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your post had me respond to #3.

Many vehicles have the antenna in or near that location. I'm sure it looks better than off to the side than the fullsize GM trucks had for many years. Comparing the antenna to a safety feature like backup sensors is like comparing apples to oranges. Automakers cannot please everyone with things like that, if they did not have the backup sensors, they would be criticized. If they were an option, the cost of the car would go up even more being there would be two versions of the rear bumper and electrical system and more.

When it comes to the backup lamps - Where would you guys prefer the reverse lamps and backup sensors were located?

Fair enough, Joe. :cool:

I realize that many other GM cars have the O/X antenna just like the Camaro, but, IMO, it looks just as ugly. It looks ugly on our G6, it looks ugly on all the trucks and SUV's, it looks ugly on the Cobalt my soon-to-be inlaws have, etc. Why is it that the C6 guys say they don't like it, and GM makes the adjustment accordingly by placing it in a mirror? Is it because those consumers have more money? More clout? With the success of the Camaro, especially their profit-building SS, this seems like an easy request.

I do not see how this could be a significant cost to pass on to the consumer, especially if they made this engineering for ALL vehicles across the board, especially since they've done for a low-volume, niche car. How long did it take them to integrate the AM/FM antennas into the glass? Now most all cars have it.

Furthermore, there was so much pride in the "reverse-mohawk," yet they throw that fin on there to disrupt it. Again, it's poor execution. It is a minor detail that solutions exist for. How much money could that modification really cost?

Onto the reverse lights:
It's so very obvious that someone forgot that reverse lights will be required. I propose two solutions: 1) placement on each side of the license plate similar to that of the C5. 2) placement in the lower fascia like that of the C6. Actually, I'll propose a third which would be something similar to what BMW is doing with the tiny slits in the taillights.

Reverse sensors:
I'm really not sure that there is anything else that they could do for them; they at least made them body color. I suppose my gripe would be that they should be OPTIONAL because not everyone needs them or wants them (plus they're ugly).

Just because there is a monolithic rear bumper cover, doesn't mean it should be used to house everything that GM wants to throw at it. If all it comes down to is "how much will it cost?" then figure it out and pass it on! Money is money, no matter which way you look at it, and someone has to pay for it, regardless if it is for safety or aesthetics.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts