Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd prefer the LS3 rather than an L99, but I don't really want stick... the tap shift is cool, I like that...but I'd like to be in auto sometimes... so cal traffic sucks balls and I had a stick once....

as a DD, stick isn't what I personally want... but I don't care for AFM either... I think it's a hassle to go through a tune to disable AFM as well.

what's the deal?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I'd prefer the LS3 rather than an L99, but I don't really want stick... the tap shift is cool, I like that...but I'd like to be in auto sometimes... so cal traffic sucks balls and I had a stick once....

as a DD, stick isn't what I personally want... but I don't care for AFM either... I think it's a hassle to go through a tune to disable AFM as well.

what's the deal?
^^^ Why?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... because I just don't. I'd prefer the LS3, but I don't want stick. Also AFM imo is a marketing gimick for the most part... I think the gain in MPG is really minor. .. personally that's my thought. Besides, I'm buying a V8 Camaro, I'm not buying this car because I'm worried about MPG to much. I realize that a V8 will never get the mpg that a 4-cylinder does...

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
3 words...gas guzzler tax. AFM helps enough to avoid it.

it's basically the same motor...get a tune and disable the AFM if you really don't want it.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Can't please everyone., right?

:(
nope. it really is basically the same motor...with the right tune, the auto can be made fun and the L99 can make up the little HP difference.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Is there a difference on models? LS3 or the L99 other than the HP

Sorry if my first post sounds ignorant

welcome to the site.

only big difference is the LS3 is a manual and L99 is an auto...and the rear-end gears are slightly different because of the different gearing in the trans. The auto gets a 3.27, and manual gets 3.45.

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts
If you think AFM is a marketing gimmick, you need to think again and try it out. :)

AFM out of the box will return 10-15% better MPG in real world conditions.
By virtue of a tune, it can also be cranked up to return even better MPG.

Why is it in the auto?
Automatic transmissions are less fuel efficient than manuals.
It has to do with gear ratios, manuals have that low-geared 6th gear for optimum MPG.
Without AFM, the automatic may have had a gas guzzler tax.... the EPA ratings would've came in around 14 city / 22 hwy (my "guesstimate").

It would not shock me in the least to see a tuned L99-equipped Camaro get 28-29MPG highway... with no other modifications other than a tune.

Is the tune necessary? Absolutely not.
Even out of the box it's rated at 25MPG, which is darn impressive! :thumbsup:

Additionally, the operation of AFM is seamless and silent.
You won't even notice it turning on or off. :)

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
My next question is whats a AFM?

Active Fuel Management (formerly known as Displacement on Demand) is a trademarked name for the automobile variable displacement technology from General Motors. It allows a V6 or V8 engine to "turn off" half of the cylinders under light-load conditions to improve fuel economy. Estimated performance on EPA tests show a 5.5%-7.5% improvement in fuel economy.[1]

GM's current Active Fuel Management technology uses a solenoid to deactivate the lifters on selected cylinders of a pushrod V-layout engine.

3 words...gas guzzler tax. AFM helps enough to avoid it.

it's basically the same motor...get a tune and disable the AFM if you really don't want it.

couldnt have said it any better and just as it has been said before
A L99 is a LS3 it just has AFM.
Get a Tune and its Gone or Turned down which ever you want :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
So what the AFM then a tune?
Well, sort of...

It's a combination of hardware and software that allows the car's computer to essentially "turn off" fuel and spark on half the cylinders under a very specific set of circumstances (basically "cruise mode".) It's currently only available on the automatic version because GM is able to take advantage of the electronic linkage between the computer-controlled engine and the computer-controlled transmission to gently modify torque delivery during the transitions into & out of AFM-mode in order to make the transitions invisible. AFM is a good thing and we'll see more of it in the future. Personally, I think people are making it sound like a bad thing primarily because they either don't understand or they have experience with (or heard anecdotal stories about) earlier incarnations (dating back to the Cadillac foray about 20 years ago, I guess...)

I've been torn because I WANT the AFM & VVT on the L99 but prefer the manual transmission for its more twisty-friendly gear spacing!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for so much good information, that helps me make a smart decision and get the Automatic. I will have to go to Dallas or San Antonio to order one, because the dealers in my area are small (FORT HOOD / KILLEEN TX) and all of the 2 in my area are asking $3,000 up front to place the order but they have ZERO allocations.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Thanks for so much good information, that helps me make a smart decision and get the Automatic. I will have to go to Dallas or San Antonio to order one, because the dealers in my area are small (FORT HOOD / KILLEEN TX) and all of the 2 in my area are asking $3,000 up front to place the order but they have ZERO allocations.

if you're near Classic Chevy...go see Eric (sponsor here).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Will the LS3 get hit with the Gas Guzzler tax? From what I have seen, no, does anyone know?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts