Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's the only reason the mustang is comparing favorably. yeah, take the mustang's track pack away and it's not even close. the track pack option is what the car magazines are all over, without it they would not be so complimentary.
in a most recent comparo they remark that on the straights the camaro is gone, and under braking it's no contest the camaro wins, but in the twisties the camaro was referred to as a "Pig". they said it pushed terribly NO balance, yet the track pack mustang was almost effortless by comparison. these comments were made by professional drivers.
and the kicker; on the road course the times were almost identical. this led them to conclude the the cars performed comparably. say what!:eek:

Pedders do a deal with gm to offer us a factory track pack (look at what the mustang's includes) if you must leave off the 3.73 gearing for mileage sake, but balance this thing out.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
That, my friend, is why we have Pedders here to help those of us who care enough to upgrade our nice, new loveable, roaring beasts we call "The Camaro". Most of the people who buy a Camaro won't care about the slalom times, or that the car may lean a bit in a good hard turn. That's why I'm sure that GM won't make any deals with any company to add an option for a "Trak Pak" equivalent. We can hope they do, but please don't hold your breath until it shows up as an option, you'll just pass out and we'll have to wait for you to wake up again :D

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yeah i think its pretty lame how Ford Only would let the Stang with trak pak for testing , it does make the camaro seem worse for having alot more power but then again with the trak pack the mustang was 2 or 3g more then the camaro and its not actually better for performance so for cheaper the camaro is still better

·
Registered
402 Posts
The Mustang with the "Trak Pak" is Ford's attempt to stay somewhat competitive with the new Camaro. The Camaro is an awesome starting point, as far as an four wheel independent chassis goes. :) Keep in mind, it is a "regular production" vehicle that has been formulated for the masses. With the right tweaks (swaybars, shocks, springs, brakes, performance tuning, etc.), it becomes an extreme driving machine for "driving enthusiasts". GM's product is many levels above the Ford product, and Ford has to pull out the stops to keep pace and not lose too much ground. I'd say give the Camaro the equal dollar amount of upgrades, then compare them and let the chips fall where they may. I'd bet that the Camaro would out perform the Mustang by a huge margin! ;)

·
8,984 Posts
Dude....seriously....the 2010 Camaro has a built in "track pack". It's called the IRS. The Mustang doesn't have it. Ask me how I know (check my sig). :eek:
Amen.:D

·
Registered
472 Posts
I finally did some pushing of my car today.
Totally thrilled.
Backed off some traffic to give myself some room on a two lane road, and was doing 90 in seconds.
Just a fantastic car.
90 felt like 40.

As far as bogging down, I'm already getting the reaction time in competitive mode that I want, and I know it's going to get better.

:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no doubt the camaro is better engineered and built.;)
its a very rigid platform which provides for a better handling car, however the rest of the suspension does not let the chassis perform to its capabilities.
so why not add a suspension package option from the factory (ala WS6 in the TA). remember the mags typically only compare stock vehicles camaro/mustang. I want the camaro to kick the mustang's butt no questions!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
219 Posts
We're out at Portland International Raceway as I type this with the Rose City Corvette Club. The goal of some of the Z06 guys out here is to try to catch up and pass Steve da Wrench in the 5TH GEN!

The 5TH GEN did great at autocross yesterday, with several different drivers trying it. The feedback was very positive, and again, times were being turned by people who had never driven a 5TH GEN that were right there with the times turned in the Corvettes.

·
THE FBODFATHER
487 Posts
oh ye of little faith!.......

........what makes you think we're 'done'?????

We are NEVER "Done" --

*insert evil grin here*

*insert woman's scream here*

*insert mustang scream here*

·
8,984 Posts
muhahahahahaha!

·
Registered
100 Posts
We're out at Portland International Raceway as I type this with the Rose City Corvette Club. The goal of some of the Z06 guys out here is to try to catch up and pass Steve da Wrench in the 5TH GEN!

The 5TH GEN did great at autocross yesterday, with several different drivers trying it. The feedback was very positive, and again, times were being turned by people who had never driven a 5TH GEN that were right there with the times turned in the Corvettes.
The Z06 guys need to be more concerned about not making sustained 1+g left turns for 4 seconds...BOOOM. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I finally did some pushing of my car today.
Totally thrilled.
Backed off some traffic to give myself some room on a two lane road, and was doing 90 in seconds.
Just a fantastic car.
90 felt like 40.

As far as bogging down, I'm already getting the reaction time in competitive mode that I want, and I know it's going to get better.

:)
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Sweet!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh ye of little faith!.......

........what makes you think we're 'done'?????

We are NEVER "Done" --

*insert evil grin here*

*insert woman's scream here*

*insert mustang scream here*
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
74 Posts
no doubt the camaro is better engineered and built.;)
its a very rigid platform which provides for a better handling car, however the rest of the suspension does not let the chassis perform to its capabilities.
so why not add a suspension package option from the factory (ala WS6 in the TA). remember the mags typically only compare stock vehicles camaro/mustang. I want the camaro to kick the mustang's butt no questions!:thumbsup:
Relax man, if the aftermarket stuff isn't out yet, it will be soon. ;) Throw some new springs, stiffer anti-roll bars and maybe beefier rear control arms at the new Camaro and it'll have no problems. After seeing the IRS setup I have no doubt it'll kick some serious arse with very few mods.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
hmm.. just read an edmunds review.. said the mustang's "track pack" cost more than the camaro (1ss with rs pack, sunroof, and boston acoustics), and that it still felt squirrely through corners, so maybe the couple hundredths of a G the mustang pulls on a skidpad aren't all that important..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts