Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Challenger will be a failure because it is not sticking to the original reasons why muscle cars where so popular back in the 60’s & 70’s. In the early muscle days, auto manufacturers targeted the youth market to sell these awesome cars and it worked but there are a few things to remember when selling to America’s youth. 1.) The car must be affordable because young most young people don’t have a lot of money to purchase a car. 2.) The car must perform out of this world, providing the best bang for the buck, and must be able to be modded for more power. 3.) Not only does the car have a good price and power to match, it must also have very aggressive styling. A prime example failure is the GTO, which lacked #1 and #3, making it easy to quickly fade out of existence.

Dodge is trying to recapture the people of the original muscle car era in hopes of providing them with a way to relive their youth……terrible idea. Although there are many hobbyist in this age group who can afford the 35k-45k for the Challenger, they be won’t be able to solely provide the sales numbers Dodge will need to keep the Challenger afloat. Case in point, the Thunderbird. If a muscle car is offered at the right price, today’s youth market will be there to snap it up like candy. Why do you think so many people have the newer Mustangs? I really hope the brass at Chevy don’t drop the ball like Dodge is doing. Car dealers share this blame as well for adding 20K-30K markups on Challengers all while car sales in a slump, the economy is bad, and gas prices are high. Way to go guys, you just scared away any potential customers you may have had.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I think there Trying to Target the PPl who loved and Bout THe challenger in the 70s And those are the PPl with the Money now.....Its hard to make a Muscle Car affordable For a Teenager Now..Thats why the Ricer Markets are Aimed more at the Youth of Today.And Besides Theres only a Few Just a handfull of The youngins I trust to be Driving around a 400 plus HP hot Rod...Kinda scary.

·
Registered
455 Posts
WOW thats so true i just picked up a 03 Z24 and people are telling me its tuner car and im like its domestic but w/e..... i honestly still dont know what it is domestic tuner? but i plan on modding it ... probably supercharge it the reason i have it now cause its what i can afford at the moment and i wanna make it fast etc ...... in a year or so ill be bale 2 buy a Camaro SS but my Z24 will keep me happy for now :)

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Another reason: The Challenger is on the Magnum/Charger/300C Platform. Designers said it's just a 2 door Charger with a different body. You don't see the Camaro being just a 2 door Impala or the Mustang being just a 2 door Taurus. They are original. Like in the 70's- Unlike being based off of another car like every Chrysler LLC car is to date.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Another reason: The Challenger is on the Magnum/Charger/300C Platform. Designers said it's just a 2 door Charger with a different body. You don't see the Camaro being just a 2 door Impala or the Mustang being just a 2 door Taurus. They are original. Like in the 70's- Unlike being based off of another car like every Chrysler LLC car is to date.
Well said. Although the Charger is no Taurus/Impala. Unless you say that Barry Bonds is like Greg Maddux or Derek Jeter. :D

The new "muscle cars" (aka cheap, moddable, stylish) are the ricer cars. The young guns these days can't start with V8s like our parents did. There are no more "cheap" V8s. Even the Mustang/Camaro V8 isn't cheap by any means.

But yeah, the Challenger market is the Baby Boomer hobbyist market. I hope the Camaro gets the marke the Mustang has enjoyed over the past few years, and doesn't just get the reputation of being a muscle car only.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Well said. Although the Charger is no Taurus/Impala. Unless you say that Barry Bonds is like Greg Maddux or Derek Jeter. :D

The new "muscle cars" (aka cheap, moddable, stylish) are the ricer cars. The young guns these days can't start with V8s like our parents did. There are no more "cheap" V8s. Even the Mustang/Camaro V8 isn't cheap by any means.

But yeah, the Challenger market is the Baby Boomer hobbyist market. I hope the Camaro gets the marke the Mustang has enjoyed over the past few years, and doesn't just get the reputation of being a muscle car only.
Well said.

I've been making that argument for years; the little tuner type cars are muscle cars to the younger people nowadays (cheap cars that can make good horsepower to weight ratios, that's really how muscle cars began as well). I guess I am of the younger crowd (I'm 24), but I never fell into that tuner type of performance vehicle because I was brought up with the original muscle cars (GTOs, Chevelles, Camaros, Modded Novas, etc.). I guess I'm more like one of the kids who liked hot rods in the days of muscle cars if that makes any sense :screwy:, I'm a generation off I guess.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well said.

I've been making that argument for years; the little tuner type cars are muscle cars to the younger people nowadays (cheap cars that can make good horsepower to weight ratios, that's really how muscle cars began as well). I guess I am of the younger crowd (I'm 24), but I never fell into that tuner type of performance vehicle because I was brought up with the original muscle cars (GTOs, Chevelles, Camaros, Modded Novas, etc.). I guess I'm more like one of the kids who liked hot rods in the days of muscle cars if that makes any sense :screwy:, I'm a generation off I guess.

i know what u mean, altho i drive a civic now, its not what i want. my dad had a AMC AMX, my uncle had monte carlo's and built race engines, my dad also had a 350 bored out to a 383 in his mud truck back in the day. ive grown up on the v8. this little 1.8l 4 banger just aint enough (im pretty sure ive drank more water than this can displace already today). ive never had a 'muscle' car, mostly trucks, but ive always wanted a camaro, hell, my mom had 2 back in the 70s

·
Registered
318 Posts
I disagree. The Challenger in base V6 trim, providing 250hp out of a 4-speed auto, is priced at 21,990. The local Dodge dealership sold two SE's for that price. Not above. I've got my R/T ordered through him, and my RT is sitting right at 32,890. Supposedly, pricing on the Camaro will be similar, but with more hp. I don't really mind either way, though. I love both of the cars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I disagree. The Challenger in base V6 trim, providing 250hp out of a 4-speed auto, is priced at 21,990. The local Dodge dealership sold two SE's for that price. Not above. I've got my R/T ordered through him, and my RT is sitting right at 32,890. Supposedly, pricing on the Camaro will be similar, but with more hp. I don't really mind either way, though. I love both of the cars.
If the SS Camaro sells for $33k I will **** myself. Honestly, I doubt GM will release the SS for a penny under $38k. If its around $33k I AM SOLD!! Plain and simple. Because I am planning on driving the Challenger SRT-8 and the SS first to make my decision. Remember, back in 02 WS6 Trans Am's were stickered around $32k. So to me $33k for the new Camaro seems impossible. I can only hope......

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Prepare to **** yourself. Twice. :lol:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not saying this will happen but if Chevy really wants to make a BOLD statement, they would make the Camaro affordable to the common man. I agree that V8s are not cheap cars to get into but by the time a guy mods his import up to the level of a V8, he's already spent enough to buy one. I used to have a Mitsubishi Eclipse AWD turbo that I was always modding, trying to make faster and I'll never forget what my Asian mechanic told me. He said I would have been better off with a V8 because it would 've been a lot cheaper to mod, holds up better to the power adders, and creates more HP.

·
Registered
61 Posts

I'm not so sure that a new Camaro/Challenger/Mustang would be that far out of reach for today's 18-22 year olds. My first car at 16 years old was a used full size Ford V-8 that cost me around $300, I traded that in on a used '62 Corvair (but don't remember the price), at 18 years old I bought a new '67 RS Camaro 327cid for around $2,800, at 20 years old I bought a new '69 Z/28 for $3,500. That $3,500 1967 dollars is worth today between $21,727.46 to $24,432.13 depending on which one of three methods you use to calculate it (consumer price index, unskilled wage index, or consumer bundle index), and it will be worth more than that over the next couple of years pushing it closer to the 32-33K that I think the low end Camaro SS will be. When I bought the Z/28, I certainly didn't have the highest paying job around, I worked at a grocery distribution center. If someone in the 18-20 year old age bracket in 2010 has a decent job and decent credit, I think they'll be able to finance a new SS (or Challenger/Mustang) without too many issues.
Clyde

·
Registered
166 Posts
I to ordered a new car at 21 years old, an '87 IROC 5.7 loaded. Stickered at **** near $20g back then. With a discount it was $17g plus tax. There were not to many young dudes like me back then buying new Camaros/IROC's. And I think the same will be true this time around, prices will weed out almost ALL of the younger folks (ages 18 - 25).

I honestly look for a new SS to start at around $32g, add options (and there will be quite a few) and I'll bet the farm a loaded one will be knockin' on $40g. The convertible will add another $5g to that price in '11.

You will have VERY FEW younger guys driving these cars, it's just not gonna happen. And the insurance cost....................................it's not gonna be pretty either.

·
Registered
318 Posts
FH, Drive the SRT8. Not to slam GM, but not even the Z06 I drove felt like the SRT-8. Such raw, open, insane power.

·
Registered
82 Posts
forget about muscle cars and the past....the present is what is important and when chrysler produces an overweight two door car as big as a truck and weighs as much with a 4 speed automatic behind a v6.....

most people don't buy v8's, whether gas is 4/gallon or 2.50.

jackg
06 sts6

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
For someone who owns a " Muscle Car " let me add that the days of the Muscle car ERA are GONE , OVER DONE WITH and with that we have memories of how great those cars were and how well they did with the technology we had then......There are some of us who gets to enjoy those cars still on weekends.
This is the present GM retroed the Camaro to a certain extent but moved into the future by showing us yes our Car can resemble the 69 but buy adding some future to the rearend view and a few other places on the car they are showing us We are moving on... not trying to relive the past
The 69 did its job and with the help of Sports car lovers so will the 2010 and other in years to come.

Just as they said it was in 1967......GM is building a Car that will be a proven winner on the track and on the street.

IMO you pay for what you get...the STang will always be a little cheaper however it will always be one step below a Camaro. :patriot:

Mustang was put on the road for Daddies little girl to drive to school in :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thought I should let you guys know, they Challenger made an appearance at our Open Road Challenge and ran in the half mile shootout. there were three runs and the challenger ran 122.5, 124, and 123 in the halfmile. It sounded like he was pretty much all out too....meaning he didn't hold back.

Just thought you might wanna know what it runs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts