Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, does anyone know why the ss stick puts out 26 more horsepower than the automatic? someone told me the exhaust is different is that correct. thank you in advance.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The exhaust is a little different but it doesn't have anything to do with why the engine makes less power. There are some obvious differences in the two engines but I think the engineers had to walk a fine line to make sure that the A6 and M6 were almost identical in performance. While the A6 has a few less horsepower it has more aggressive transmission gearing. If the A6 had 26 more factory horsepower it would easily whip the M6.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
In a nutshell, there is less compression on the A6 as it has reliefs for the AFM valve setup to operate. .3 to be exact. The A6 also runs VVT which has a more Torque oriented profile vs HP as they needed the auto to get to a certain MPG (all driven by CAFE standards)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just read the other day that Chevy wanted the manual and auto camaros to be almost identical in performance.. so while the manual might have a bit more HP, the automatics have more aggressive gearing.. I believe I read it in my owners manual but can't remember for sure..

·
Registered
6 Posts
All you need is a Torque Converter, a custom tune to get rid of the fuel De activation and bump up your timing, then you will be beating up all them six speeds all day long....at the track and Automatic car always has the advantage.

I have three toys...
1-06 GTO A4... 556RWHP 508 RWTQ. high 10's 1/4 mile....CCW Drag Pack.
2-09 Z06 6 speed.. with just headers and a halltech CAI custom tune..508RWHP 492 RWTQ. high 10's 1/4 mile. CCW Drag Pack.
3-11 CTS-V Coupe 6 speed super charged.... custom tune and a pulley swap, 550RWHP 600RWTQ. Low 11's 1/4 mile. Drag Radials.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
+1^ different cam in the L99 vs ls3. The afm is most of the reason for the hp drop. But stock vs stock the auto is a bit quicker in the 1/4.

Here's some good info:

http://www.superchevy.com/features/camaro/sucp_0904w_2010_camaro_engines_transmissions/index.html

"The LS3 develops 426 horsepower (318 kW) at 5,900 rpm and 420 lb.-ft. (569 Nm) at 4,600 rpm (all numbers are SAE certified). Output on the L99 is lower than the LS3 because of a slighter lower compression ratio (10.4:1 vs. 10.7:1) and design features of the Active Fuel Management System. The L99 is paired exclusively with an automatic transmission."

·
8,984 Posts
OMG.

·
Registered
115 Posts
All you need is a Torque Converter, a custom tune to get rid of the fuel De activation and bump up your timing, then you will be beating up all them six speeds all day long....at the track and Automatic car always has the advantage.

I have three toys...
1-06 GTO A4... 556RWHP 508 RWTQ. high 10's 1/4 mile....CCW Drag Pack.
2-09 Z06 6 speed.. with just headers and a halltech CAI custom tune..508RWHP 492 RWTQ. high 10's 1/4 mile. CCW Drag Pack.
3-11 CTS-V Coupe 6 speed super charged.... custom tune and a pulley swap, 550RWHP 600RWTQ. Low 11's 1/4 mile. Drag Radials.

You do not need a Torque Converter to get rid of the AFM system. Just have your tuner deactivate it and its gone. Mine has been gone for a month now and I love it.

The tranny tune is the real kicker its like having a whole new car. If you really want to smoke the manual put 3:73 gears in the rear end. The manual's come with 3:45's and the auto's come with 3:27's. They purposely did that so the auto wouldn't embarrass the manual.

·
Registered
115 Posts
What's a good gear to install in the auto without getting horrific mpg?
3:70 or 3:73 some people put in 3:45's but I think its a waste of money

3:73 is what 99% of the shops will tell you is ideal. If you have an automatic transmission.

·
Registered
115 Posts
hi, does anyone know why the ss stick puts out 26 more horsepower than the automatic? someone told me the exhaust is different is that correct. thank you in advance.
The Manual LS3 cam has more lift and duration than the L99 auto due to the AMF system. It makes up for it with the VVT system that gives it more TQ at lower RPMs

·
Registered
99 Posts
That article said the automatic is rated for 25 mpg on the freeway. I have to toss the BS flag. I just finished a 900 mile interstate run and the best I could pull from my auto SS was 21 mpg. Now, I found the DIY article about resetting the fuel maps in the ECM to gain a few horses back...will the lower octane fuel maps also lower mpg's?

·
Registered
115 Posts
That article said the automatic is rated for 25 mpg on the freeway. I have to toss the BS flag. I just finished a 900 mile interstate run and the best I could pull from my auto SS was 21 mpg. Now, I found the DIY article about resetting the fuel maps in the ECM to gain a few horses back...will the lower octane fuel maps also lower mpg's?

When I bought mine I went on a trip that was 2000 miles total. I got 25 mpg. When I put on headers, exhaust and air intake I was getting 27 mpg, all highway.

After I had it tuned I get 22 mpg on the highway. The strange thing is my city mpg went up with the tune by 2 mpg.

Every car is different, you might have a higher Dyno base than I did and thats why your mpg wasn't as good

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
If you are worried about mpg then you should of bought the V6. My car could get 10 mpg and too be honest I really could careless. I swear most of us don't even get pissed at filling her up compared to a guy who's driving a 98 Civic and spending money to gas that pos up. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I can't wait for mine to get 13 MPG with the Head and Cam install. So much time goes into researching Head flow and Cam specs. It will be worth it when I'm in the 10's

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
When I reset my fuel maps with the fuse pull trick it helps with mileage and performance probably because it is much more efficent. I have to do this about one time every month or so because I live in a county that is classified as "non-attainment" on air quality and our fuels are classified as "reformulated" which means it has a 10 % ethinol mix.

If I drive to the next county that is not in the same class then I purchase the normal fuel and it is much better still and I do not have to do the fuse pull. Even my '99 K1500 4wd suburban get much better mileage with the regular fuels.

I found that buying the octaine boost for 4.99 per tank is better than driving 45 miles to the next county unless of course I'm already heading that way.

Still use Shell V power premium as always but it is much better in other counties.

·
Registered
115 Posts
When I reset my fuel maps with the fuse pull trick it helps with mileage and performance probably because it is much more efficent. I have to do this about one time every month or so because I live in a county that is classified as "non-attainment" on air quality and our fuels are classified as "reformulated" which means it has a 10 % ethinol mix.

If I drive to the next county that is not in the same class then I purchase the normal fuel and it is much better still and I do not have to do the fuse pull. Even my '99 K1500 4wd suburban get much better mileage with the regular fuels.

I found that buying the octaine boost for 4.99 per tank is better than driving 45 miles to the next county unless of course I'm already heading that way.

Still use Shell V power premium as always but it is much better in other counties.

Have the car Dyno tuned and ask the tuner to write over the low octane map with the high octane map. Your knock sensor will still retard your timing if it senses a knock. No more pulling fuses

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you are worried about mpg then you should of bought the V6. My car could get 10 mpg and too be honest I really could careless. I swear most of us don't even get pissed at filling her up compared to a guy who's driving a 98 Civic and spending money to gas that pos up. :)
I'm worried about my mpg if it is supposed to be getting 5 more mpg than it is. Loss of mpgs can be attibuted to mechanical issues, and in a new car that is significant. Loss of mpg indicates a loss of efficiency in the engine. I want to know is it a real loss, or is it that everyone here on this forum is getting the same mpg that I'm getting, meaning there is nothing wrong with my car (or everyone is having the same problem!).

Forums like this help me know my car is doing what it is supposed to. This Camaro is very different from my Vette, and has a different sound and feel (as it should). But you can't tell me that if your mildly modified Camaro SS suddenly started getting 10mpg, you could care less...

·
Registered
99 Posts
LOL

1 - 20 of 25 Posts