Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just curious, why are the slight body changes on the higher level models (SS)? I'm talking about the extar lips that come off the front. I may get the SS, but I'm not to thrilled with the small body changes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's a subtle way to differentiate the SS. Some may argue, ...the changes are too subtle (ie. why no hoodscoop, etc.), ...but seeing that car in person, ...it does indeed stand out. The integral 'chin spoiler' may seem minor, ...but it makes a world of differnce in the cars appearance )pictures don't do it justice)
There are other SS only features, ...which I'm sure have been mentioned, ...but off the top of my head,
Brembo brakes, 20" wheels, chin spoiler, larger front lower grill opening, larger tailpipes, upper fascia scoop, SS embroidered headrests, etc.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Whoa whoa. Are you complaining about the chin spoiler? You know it's there for a reason, correct? It keeps the front end from lifting at higher speeds and hard launches. As you can see, the front end of the SS model, as well as the entire range of Camaro's, has a very open front end. Much like the Mustang's massive maw, this allows a lot of air to just hit it flat, and cause drag. The front spoiler is there to angle the air down and away from the vehicle, preventing lift. I think. :D On top of that, I agree with the above poster. Expect to see various changes in both exhaust, styling, and breaks.

This makes me wonder, though, if the Brembo's are part of the SS/RS package, or if they're standard across the board on all SS models.

·
Registered
63 Posts
...Brembos are standard on the SS.

...and to revisit the 'chin spoiler', ...in Tom Peter's own words, ..."purposeful design"...

(...UNlike those huge wings on the rear decks of some (many) imports, ....that are front wheel drive :confused::lol: )

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
The 4th gen SS was never much different. Wheels, hood, wing... ok, so those are pretty substantial. :)

I do dislike that the RS V6 will get the same wheels and spoiler as the SS.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I kind of agree, Demonspeed. It's a bit disappointing that the only difference will be exhaust note and badging. And the hood, too ,I suppose. I was really hoping that those of us with our RS/SS Camaro's would stand out a bit from the V6's. But, I suppose it also makes the V6 a good 'sleeper' of sorts.

·
I paid $5 for this title!
645 Posts
(...UNlike those huge wings on the rear decks of some (many) imports, ....that are front wheel drive :confused::lol: )
Imports, you say? ;)

I don't mind that the V6s and V8s are all going to look quite a bit alike - when the big daddies take off there's going to be a bit of an element of surprised. I've always liked that about the current Mustangs, though at this point it takes me about half a second to tell them apart.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Chin spoilers accomplish a few things...

1) Down force at high speeds, but does nothing for launching (doesn't apply here)
2) Direct more air into the radiator for more efficient cooling when used in conjunction with larger openings in the lower fascia (applies here)
3) Aesthetics (also applies here)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I kind of agree, Demonspeed. It's a bit disappointing that the only difference will be exhaust note and badging. And the hood, too ,I suppose. I was really hoping that those of us with our RS/SS Camaro's would stand out a bit from the V6's. But, I suppose it also makes the V6 a good 'sleeper' of sorts.
Now don't forget the mail slot.... KITT would be mad at you!

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I just realized: we don't even know the price of the RS package. If it comes with Brembos (rumor) the price could be high. I'd say around 4K.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I was hopeful for an SS only hood. Oh well, I still want an SS

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
I just realized: we don't even know the price of the RS package. If it comes with Brembos (rumor) the price could be high. I'd say around 4K.
The SS will have Brembos standard. It's not very likely they will offer Brembos in an optional package. There are quite a few components that differentiate a Brembo brake system from a 'standard' brake sytem. Priced individually, the cost of the components would easily be over $4000. Yet another reason why the SS is a bargain.;)

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
Whoa whoa. Are you complaining about the chin spoiler? You know it's there for a reason, correct? It keeps the front end from lifting at higher speeds and hard launches. As you can see, the front end of the SS model, as well as the entire range of Camaro's, has a very open front end. Much like the Mustang's massive maw, this allows a lot of air to just hit it flat, and cause drag. The front spoiler is there to angle the air down and away from the vehicle, preventing lift. I think. :D On top of that, I agree with the above poster. Expect to see various changes in both exhaust, styling, and breaks.

This makes me wonder, though, if the Brembo's are part of the SS/RS package, or if they're standard across the board on all SS models.
Uh, this car won't be lifting off the ground that much and that is not for 'hard launches' ;)

Those are usually there to deflect air for a reason from the factory. Some people have always liked how they look, some not so much :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Side scoops

I can't tell on the black car in this thread, but are there moldings over the side scoops? I know on the 6 cyl at the reveal there isn't any. I know they won't be functional but I like the black plastic moldings on the concept. If the car is supposed to be retro and this is styling from 69, the 69 had chrome moldings over the side scoop indents. At least on the RS package.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I dont see why the Brembo's would be offered in the RS since it's designated as an "Appearance only" package....

·
Registered
82 Posts
since there will be three distinct models; ls, lt, and the ss, not including the rs package, the content of the option packages might not be critical as some other gm products, but the price and content of the option packages might make it difficult to trim out your camaro they way you want it.

jackg
06 sts6

·
Registered
523 Posts
I can't tell on the black car in this thread, but are there moldings over the side scoops? I know on the 6 cyl at the reveal there isn't any. I know they won't be functional but I like the black plastic moldings on the concept. If the car is supposed to be retro and this is styling from 69, the 69 had chrome moldings over the side scoop indents. At least on the RS package.
YOU ARE CORRECT

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts