Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
A New Camaro, Excellent!
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious.

The LS2 began with the 2005 vette and is scheduled to end this year with the '07 vette. That's a total of 3 years. Not sure what the trailblazer SS or cadillac CTS-V will do next year??

Whereas the LS1 began with the 1997 vette and continued until 2004. That's 7 years.

I'm not sure on LT1 for vettes, but i know GM started dropping them in F-bodys in 1993 through '97. So that's at least 5 years.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have wondered the same thing myself. The only reason I can think of is for marketing reasons. Since the LSx engines are all built on the same architecture, it is fairly inexpensive for them to make minor adjustments like increasing displacement. Perhaps up-ing the displacement and getting a few more HP out of the block is a way for them to increase sales on the Corvette as well as get it ready for the Camaro so that is can better compete with the Challenger and Mustang...

That is the only logic I could come up with to justify the short lifecycle of the LS2... especially since it is really a great engine.

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
I think the 2008 Trailblazer SS will still get an LS2.
But you never know it just might get an LS3 too.

2008 CTS-V is likely to not exist since the CTS is redesigned and the new V won't be ready until next summer for MY2009.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
COMPETITION BABY!! When the LS1 came out everything was leagues behind, they had time to rest on their laurels. Hell it took Ford till 03 to match it (03-04 Cobra) and Dodge didn't catch up until recently. Now they have caught up some so its time to up the ante. With 425 HP hemis and 500 HP sc stangs 400 just doesn't seem that magical anymore. My guess anyway. I have been known to be wrong though from time to time. But whenever I see a GM competitor hit high numbers (600 hp viper) I smile knowing that ol GM will pull the hat trick and match or beat it. It's 1970 and the HP wars are here again and no matter who wins Dodge Ford or GM (is there any doubt?) we the consumer win!! Oh well guess we all will have an intimate relationship with our tire suppliers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
COMPETITION BABY!! When the LS1 came out everything was leagues behind, they had time to rest on their laurels. Hell it took Ford till 03 to match it (03-04 Cobra) and Dodge didn't catch up until recently. Now they have caught up some so its time to up the ante. With 425 HP hemis and 500 HP sc stangs 400 just doesn't seem that magical anymore. My guess anyway. I have been known to be wrong though from time to time. But whenever I see a GM competitor hit high numbers (600 hp viper) I smile knowing that ol GM will pull the hat trick and match or beat it. It's 1970 and the HP wars are here again and no matter who wins Dodge Ford or GM (is there any doubt?) we the consumer win!! Oh well guess we all will have an intimate relationship with our tire suppliers.
I don't think Ford has even yet caught up to the LS1... my LT1 maybe! ford just doesn't have a motor worth a crap without a supercharger. Now the Hemi is respectable, but the only thing slowing them down is the wieght they have to lug around on there back. As for GM, I have always felt GM products has been a leader in blending quality and power with efficiency, something I haven't seen from Ford or Dodge

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Tis true however but it seems more people nowadays (the uninformed) just want the numbers and dont care about the weight. The SRT vehicles have 425 and the ford SC motors are now in the 500 range. Now we all know that a 3500 car with 400 hp should trounce a 4300 car with 425 and keep up with a 4000 car with almost 500, but its the other numbers that alot of novices don't realize. We know that since the LT1 the mustang has seen nothing but taillights. But it seems now people just want the number which i think is one reason you dont see vehicles with 317 or 264 or some odd number they are all rounded out and nowadays the bigger ones 425 450 500 550 600 650 etc will sell better im sure to those looking for status car who know nothing about racing whatsoever. Appease us all give them the numbers to brag about and we'll brag about the timeslips :lol: .

·
Registered
28 Posts
that is true as well, people only care about the numbers. People don't realize sometimes that weight has all to do with things. You can maybe make a car faster by adding more power, but you can also do this by weight reduction. Weight reduction also has the benefit of making a car run more efficent.

But as for the LS2, by the time the 5th gen comes out it will be time for a newer motor, one that is as fresh as the fresh new 5th gen camaro. So by going the route of maybe punching the LS2 out and giving it variable valve timing, it will ultimately achieve this objective. plus newer technology is always nicer to have. So the LS2 won't really be replaced. Its still and LS motor, still using the same architecture as the original LS1, it just sounds newer by changing the name to LS3. I want to know are they going to keep up using the LS name for much longer? They have and LS1, LS2, soon an LS3, LS4, LS6, LS7, and maybe the LS9. Maybe a few others I forgot, but are they going to continue with the LS? it probabaly wont be long before the GEN V motor comes out, boasting two in-block cams will come out. What do you suppose they will call that?

·
Registered
154 Posts
that is true as well, people only care about the numbers. People don't realize sometimes that wieght has all to do with things. You can maybe make a care faster by adding more power, but you can also do this by weight reduction. Weight reduction also has the benefit of making a car run more efficent.

But as for the LS2, by the time the 5th gen comes out it will be time for a newer motor, one that is as fresh as the fresh new 5th gen camaro. So by going the route of maybe punching the LS2 out and giving it variable valve timing, it will ultimately achieve this objective. plus newer technology is always nicer to have. So the LS2 won't really be replaced. Its still and LS motor, still using the same architecture as the original LS1, it just sounds newer by changing the name to LS3. I want to know are they going to keep up using the LS name for much longer? They have and LS1, LS2, soon an LS3, LS4, LS6, LS7, and maybe the LS9. Maybe a few others I forgot, but are they going to continue with the LS? it probabaly wont be long before the GEN V motor comes out, boasting two in-block cams will come out. What do you suppose they will call that?

Dunno why but something just came to mind but, would be a disaster for them to name it this, LSD ( D for Dual Cam lol )

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tis true however but it seems more people nowadays (the uninformed) just want the numbers and dont care about the weight. The SRT vehicles have 425 and the ford SC motors are now in the 500 range. Now we all know that a 3500 car with 400 hp should trounce a 4300 car with 425 and keep up with a 4000 car with almost 500, but its the other numbers that alot of novices don't realize. We know that since the LT1 the mustang has seen nothing but taillights. But it seems now people just want the number which i think is one reason you dont see vehicles with 317 or 264 or some odd number they are all rounded out and nowadays the bigger ones 425 450 500 550 600 650 etc will sell better im sure to those looking for status car who know nothing about racing whatsoever. Appease us all give them the numbers to brag about and we'll brag about the timeslips :lol: .
HP sells the car, but torque gets you home.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Necro'd right out of the box! That's digging deep!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Best thread necro ever~
It's almost always the newbs that resurrect these threads. :twak:

(looks like the guy did his damage and moved on eh)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts