Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Smart cars are all over Europe...I was surprised by how many.

The US does need to wise up to it's excessive fuel usage...ie people driving large gas guzzling SUV's all by themselves. Better yet...we need to kick the oil habit and find alternative energy.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I keep saying that we need to figure out more effective ways to produce ethanol. It burns cleaner and can be had domestically. I just can't understand why they keep growing Maise to produce ethanol. It's yield is 1.5 to 1. (1.5 produced units to every 1 used to produce it). Switch grass supposedly produces a yield 10x higher than that and can be harvested more often.

Either way, it's sad that our emissions controls have caused a 55 mpg car to drop to 40 mpg.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think after a few of them get crushed by H2's, Suburbans, Navigators, etc. and the media gets ahold of it, they will dissappear.

They belong on golf courses, not American highways.
We'll see how long those Burbs, navigators etc will last when gas reaches $6 a gallon...

Anyone have a good argument why the average person NEEDS an oversized vehicle? Aside from families and tradesmen. Though, it seems people live just fine without behemoth vehicles in Europe.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Oversized everthing is the American way.:patriot: And in that same vien the Samrt should succeed. :confused: Did you see the pricing???:BangHead:

·
Registered
101 Posts
We'll see how long those Burbs, navigators etc will last when gas reaches $6 a gallon...

Anyone have a good argument why the average person NEEDS an oversized vehicle? Aside from families and tradesmen. Though, it seems people live just fine without behemoth vehicles in Europe.
I don't know, but alot of people keep driving these things regardless of gas prices. I think owning one if you do not actually need the space is stupid.

The reasons why these giant SUV's are not popular in Europe is because gasoline is hideously expensive and also not enough space. Roads are not very wide and parking spaces are pretty small.

A Honda Civic is considered to be a really big car in Europe!

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Oversized everthing is the American way.:patriot: And in that same vien the Samrt should succeed. :confused: Did you see the pricing???:BangHead:
I personally don't think the pricing is all that great. If I were starting a business that required me to drive alot, I'd plaster my name and phone number all over the side of one because it would be SURE to get noticed, however, my 03 Corolla get's 40mpg highway, has a helluva lot more HP, a 5 star crash rating, 4 doors, and I guarantee a more comfortable ride. (It was $14,500 fully loaded in Dec 02).

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
I think that they would be great for congested areas. People in the big cities may end up liking them. I don't think you would want to drive them any place where it rains, snows, or the wind blows hard.

The price of the little go cart is a no deal for me.

We are happy to announce that pricing for the smart fortwo has been determined. The smart fortwo pure will start at $11,590, the smart fortwo passion couple will start at $13,590 and the smart fortwo passion cabriolet will start at $16,590.

I'd rather buy a H-D motorcycle with the funds. :patriot: Which is what I want to do hopefully next year. I keep reminding my wife how 'Good' I've been on not buying mods for my car this last year. She knows I'm scheming.:lol:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think that they would be great for congested areas. People on the big cities may end up liking them.
I think so also. Kinda like a Scooter with 4 wheels and a roof. I'd ride a Vespas before driving one of these things. I have seen a few of them in Chicago. Seems to be popular with those metro-sexual-trendy-treehuggers...

I really do not see them being popular in say, rural Texas.

"What the hell is THAT thing, Jethro?"

"It's a SMART car, boy! Gotta watch m'gas mileage while coverin' the ranch!"

:patriot:

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
I don't think a rancher or cowboy from Texas would bother wasting a bullet. Probably grab a rope and flip it over and tie up the wheels.

·
I paid $5 for this title!
645 Posts
I think that they would be great for congested areas. People in the big cities may end up liking them.
Not in LA they won't. People around here like their status cars, and I think the Prius is green enough of a status car for those who swing that way, while Smart is rather inconvenient.

If I lived in Europe, I'd buy one in a second (the 'vert, 'course :D), but American roads are huge enough to call for an actual car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nobody who need to do regular highway commutes would buy that thing, I'd think.

Maybe in major cities where our Suburbans don't fit in to nicely. But they can't be any good for shopping, they can't be any good for speed, and they can't be any good for safety ratings...'Smart' car is dumb is an understatement Octane...

for 15k...go get a Cobalt, or Aveo if you want 'green'...:patriot:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not in LA they won't. People around here like their status cars, and I think the Prius is green enough of a status car for those who swing that way, while Smart is rather inconvenient..
No kidding. It will be interesting to see who is the first Celeb to pull up to a red carpet or get snapped by the Papparazzi in a SMART car.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Anyone that needs a vehicle for recreational things like boats/4wheelers/etc would rather just have a truck or SUV to dd instead of buying a truck or suv and a car.

I see this car being popular in big inner city commuting but thats it.

MGP does not really bother me much even if gas was to go to $6 a gallon. What will hurt worse is price of products/food if it does go that high. I don't car how many mpg your getting I don't think that will be the problem for everyday person not doing business with there car.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts