Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://blogs.gmhightechperformance....t-rear-hold-up-one-gm-man-says-yes/index.html

Would I have loved to be a fly on the wall during recent General Motors meetings about the Camaro drivetrain: the general consensus was that the new Camaro has to have IRS––and the corresponding smooth ride––to ensure that it appeals to the non-hardcore performance buyers. Or in other words, the majority of the market!

However, a small yet vocal minority was very concerned about this decision: simply put, these internal enthusiasts had no idea if the IRS could cope with the stresses of "hard" driving in stock form––much less hard driving when it is modded.

When I was in Detroit, I got a chance to sit down with a senior manager who had done development work on IRS cars from the early CTS-V to the current ZR1/CTS-V, and he had some very interesting things to say.

"Some of the older cars did have a power hop problem––some of the early IRS cars were let out of the factory with big power levels with these IRS systems simply because we didn't want to limit their performance. And some, like the Corvettes, had an inherently good IRS design that held up great.
"However, especially in the last year or so, we've learned so much regarding how to mitigate power hop––so much in fact that we're patenting some of our findings. The trick is to get the resonance out of the system."
While he couldn't tell us if the new asymmetrical axle technology found in ZR1 would be in the new Camaro's IRS, he left off with "All of the right testing is going on right now."

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Yeah, as much time and energy that has gone into this car, they're not about to leave something like this in there if it's not up to par.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Maybe they should give each of us one to see if we can break them:eek:.........I mean for testing. :cool: No I mean to see if we can break 'em!:roxor:

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
^badass. squat and go.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I wish they had figured that out on the GTOs, mine hops like a bunny rabbit :(
It was happening when the 4th gens were out and they never addressed the issue for us. I busted 2 rears with a reletively stock Camaro.

My GTO hops, but hasn't busted... yet. It's those CTS-V guys you have to feel bad about.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
My GTO wheel hops under hard acceleration and limited traction. When it hooks good the car just squats and goes. Drag bags are in my GTO's future and I bet they would be a good idea for hard launching 5th Gens unless they have some kind of stop already designed in.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My 70 Camaro wheel hops everytime I run over a mustang in my way ;)
I had to throw that in the post for a good laugh.

SF
Rick

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^badass. squat and go.
Wheel hop is often caused by squating. As the car is falling down the car doesn't have weight on the tire. That's why you want anti squat in drag racing to push the tires into the ground.

squat is not always bad though because I believe road racers like a little squat, but I am not completley sure about that. From what I understand it helps the car coner though.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
it's good to see that someone is on top of this now...rather than a year from now.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Wheel hop is often caused by squating. As the car is falling down the car doesn't have weight on the tire. That's why you want anti squat in drag racing to push the tires into the ground.

squat is not always bad though because I believe road racers like a little squat, but I am not completley sure about that. From what I understand it helps the car coner though.
Well I cant see them 100% eliminating squat, but I cant see them controlling the wheel hop. I would love to see the rear squat about an inch or so and jet without the chatter of wheel hop. I little transfer and go, how about that. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts