Modern Camaro Forums banner

Will high gas prices affect your buying decision?

• No, I'm buying a 5th gen no matter what!

Votes: 45 91.8%
  • Yes, I may buy a V6 model to save gas.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I might stick with what I have.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Yes, I will consider a smaller, more efficient car.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'm not going to buy one either way.

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I fear the more pessimistic question is will GM still try to make it if gas prices are this high in 3 years. Remember that high gas prices were one of the major reasons they started detuning and fazing out the muscle cars back in the 70's. Also, you can't forget that Pres. Bush is looking to get approval to increase the CAFE requirements accross the entire fleet, not just the trucks like he did a couple of months ago. I worry that a combination of public sentiment, government regulation and ugly economic realities may make the Camaro revival seem less viable to the corporate bean counters...

Just my .02 worth.

Greg

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
67 Rally Sport said:
I fear the more pessimistic question is will GM still try to make it if gas prices are this high in 3 years. Remember that high gas prices were one of the major reasons they started detuning and fazing out the muscle cars back in the 70's. Also, you can't forget that Pres. Bush is looking to get approval to increase the CAFE requirements accross the entire fleet, not just the trucks like he did a couple of months ago. I worry that a combination of public sentiment, government regulation and ugly economic realities may make the Camaro revival seem less viable to the corporate bean counters...

Just my .02 worth.

Greg
Vehicles recieve higher HP as well as higher MPG every year :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
i don't care about fuel economy when it comes to a vehicle like the camaro. by the time its out, i should be able to afford a reliable DD and have a fun car for weekends and trips. i would like good mileage in the camaro, but im not worried. with the technology out there, decent mileage and power can go hand in hand. i just don't want them to make it impossible to mod cause of things like DOD

·
Registered
38 Posts
gas and insurance, two things that never crossed my mind when i bought my car

you don't buy these things for their outstanding MPG

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a feeling the Camaro will be suprisingly efficient. With the new 6 speed auto even the automatic cars should be able to get close to 30mpg.

Imagine 400+ hp and 30mpg, courtesy of overdrive transmissions and cylinder deactivation.

Hell there are a lot of V6 cars that don't get 30mpg. My wife's 01 Maxima, for example (27hwy).

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
I have a feeling the Camaro will be suprisingly efficient. With the new 6 speed auto even the automatic cars should be able to get close to 30mpg.

Imagine 400+ hp and 30mpg, courtesy of overdrive transmissions and cylinder deactivation.

Hell there are a lot of V6 cars that don't get 30mpg. My wife's 01 Maxima, for example (27hwy).
:roxor: :gr_patriot:

·
Registered
861 Posts
I would be happy with a ls-7 that gets 25 mpg and besides that you are buying a sports car you really can't expect good gas mileage! If so it is time to wake up Allice:lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi gas prices had nothing to do with detuning and their not building muscle cars in the seventies. emisions and insurance companys and going to unleaded gas were the reasons. (where's spell check when i need it?)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Considering I'm getting about 11.5-12 mpg now, I don't think gas prices will be a concern to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Trying to get by without a 5th Gen will be like trying to get by without air, you just have to have it regardless. I know I'm getting mine, the hard part will be wether or not to wait for the high end models.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts