Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will people buy the new Camaro?

Source: The American Spectator - Eric Peters

Automotive journalists, bloggers and others have expressed great enthusiasm for the revived Camaro sports couple that GM plans to bring back to market sometime in mid-late 2008. Packing at least 400 horses in Z28 form and with hunky-looking retro-'60s sheetmetal, it's easy enough to understand the excitement.

But liking the car and buying the car are two very different things. GM may be in for a rude surprise -- and left holding the bag (again).

Consider it. I very much like Ferraris. But unless my financial situation changes for the better considerably, all my lust will never translate into an F430 parked in my driveway.

Now granted, the new Camaro is no six-figure Ferrari. But it is a double-digit gas pig. That comes with the big V-8 (and big V-6, in base models) under its hood. With gas cresting $3 per gallon, topping off the 20-something gallon tank of a V-8 muscle car will run you about $70. And that will last you about a week, maybe. So $300 bucks per month for fuel.

Click HERE for the entire article

·
Registered
742 Posts
this article only explains it's gas issue... hey, if i worried about gas, i would get a 4 cylinder. there's a reason why the aftermarket industry is a multibillion dollar business, because as many people who care about gas, also dont care about gas and gringe when they see that filling a car hits 40$ but come on. yes, gas is a issue, but when u go to the track, you see plently of ppl lines of for the 10$/gallon race fuel that will only be used to travel 5 miles ( 1/4 at a time :D). the only thing i agree with is that once u start reaching certain price marks, you start to consider other cars, like with 30k you can get a nice g35, but that's a luxury coupe. i want raw power.

personally, i can see people at the chevy dealerships, scracthing their heads while they look at the camaro and across the steet see a ford dealership seeing the less expensive stang, but im sure there's a guy at the ford dealership scracthing his head while he see the new and hot looking camaro across the street. everyone is different. some people need the new, up and up toys and some people rather just want to treat themselves.

it's all on how GM markets this camaro.... which hopefully in 3-4 years ill be part of :roxor: dream job is to be part of the marketing team of any gm company.

long but it's my opinion....

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
That author is so wrong.:screwy: There is a difference between sporty cars like the Camaro and mundane, 4 cylinder people movers and the people who buy them. Gas mileage has very little to do with it.

The G8 makes 362hp on 87 octane I believe and will have DOD/afm on the V8 models. The v6 models will be getting decent mileage as well.

I don't see why v6 Camaros shouldn't be getting 30+ mpg and looking good while doing it. Making them on par with ricer cracker boxes. The author's statement about 4 cyl cars having V8 performance is living in a fantasy world.

I read some of his other articles..he's a domestic and definitely a GM hater. He has several fallacies in his other articles as well. He's very uninformed or a writer with an anti domestic car agenda.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I haven't done a search for it yet, but I think this guy wrote an article soon after the first Camaro prototype hit the NAIAS in 2006 stating that the Camaro was a bad idea because the Mustang owned the marketplace for muscle cars and GM will never catch up. It may not have been this guy, but I'm pretty sure it was in the American Spectator as well. I'll try to find it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ha! Found it on the Wall Street Journal's website. It was dated June 21, 2006. I call "Shenanigans." on this guy. He hates the Camaro for whatever reason and nothing will ever be able to convince him otherwise.

Although I give him credit for selling basically the same article to two different magazines.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/federation/feature/?id=110008543

After rereading the first article, it appears that it was also first published on the American Spectator's site as well. So maybe Mr. Peters didn't get paid twice.

·
Registered
170 Posts
what a wiener. his artical is quite off base. i drive 2 Fair size v8s everyday. truthfully im not rich but $68 dollars is worth every penny to me for a fill up. it beats walking. And my 2 cars combined dont cost 300 a month in gas.....

·
Registered
455 Posts
....gas is a big deal too me.....my brother has a Silverado SS 2003 AWD and when i borrowed it the other week i was moving some furniture i went to fill the beast up and it costed me 110$ canadian...... in alberta here we pay 1.05-1.10 per liter i wanted to cry when i seen the price!..-_-

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
That guy does not know WTH he is talking about. With Suv's still selling I'm quite sure the gas binge will not put too much of a hurting on the Camaro. And if the Camaro makes as comfortable of a car in V6 form as it does in V8 form it will probably dominate the musclecar market.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
If any of you decide to send him a message post it and his reply, I think I might post this article on another board that once blasted a guy who called 4th gens junk.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Granted, with the cost of gas going up, it's not great timing, but people have been buying HUGE SUVs and trucks for years now with high gas prices. There are people out there that commute in a full size SUV by themselves. Why? It's what they want to drive. Nothing stops people from driving what they want. You just have to make sure that you make a car that people want. They'll find a way to put gas in the car.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
That guy is just a total tard. With the new LS3 (which I would gamble the price of my new Camaro that it will reside in the fenders) being classified as a ULEV and more efficient than the outgoing LS engines I'm sure even in V8 form it will get upper 20's which for a standard V8 is phenominal and more than likely it will feature DOD. Will people buy it? I'm pretty sure. Will I buy it? 250% yes and I will drive the doors off it just like I did my last one and with it being my "race" car major mods will not be an issue to me just a few bolt-ons here and there :roxor: . Just make mine S/c'd from the factory.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If driving a fuel sipping Honda Civic will save me $100 a month in gas over a new Camaro, I'd rather walk!!! It's like anything else, if you want it badly enough, you'll find a way. Cut out the morning coffee at Dunkin' Donuts and you just saved half towards your fuel bill. I think crusin' in your new Camaro will be more exciting than drinkin' weak coffee!! IMHO

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im sure Im not alone on this, but even if I didnt always have the $ to just cruise around, Id rather sit in my garage staring at it, cleaning it, sitting in it with the radio on, etc, than see some pos import or gutless/soul-less car that i can cruise all day..... Like everybody else is sayin, We'll find a way to keep gas in our babys. WE DONT CARE if it gets 400million to the gallon, we want the car for what it is.

and ya, forget the cheap tasteing cold coffee. we can make our own and get it how we like it lmao.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Im sure Im not alone on this, but even if I didnt always have the $ to just cruise around, Id rather sit in my garage staring at it, cleaning it, sitting in it with the radio on, etc, than see some pos import or gutless/soul-less car that i can cruise all day..... Like everybody else is sayin, We'll find a way to keep gas in our babys. WE DONT CARE if it gets 400million to the gallon, we want the car for what it is.

and ya, forget the cheap tasteing cold coffee. we can make our own and get it how we like it lmao.
:cool:
I'm going to be obsessed for the first few weeks and will more than likely put 1k miles in the first week or more. Like I said I will drive the doors off mine reguardless of MPG. I plan to put the car to its intended purpose, to look good going down the road, and hopefully eat a few competitors along the way *Cough* Mustang *Cough* Challenger *Cough* Ricers. It will get its share of garage time however mine will stay quite busy I'm sure for the first month or so acclimating all others to what she looks and runs like.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.