Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some cars have a heavy as hell clutch... How's the trend in GM's clutches lately? I'd have to put buying an aftermarket clutch and accessories into consideration.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about in the Z06? Anyone?

I'd like to know if I'll break my ankle going to work or wherever I take the car... I'm used to lightish clutches :p like in a Honda...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'm sure it's not that bad. We're talking about a car years and years ahead of the 1st generation Camaros. I drove a manual 1st gen for almost 2 years until I sold it to my cousin... talk about a calve work out!

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'd be curious about this as well. I'm actually learning to drive a standard just for the new Camaro. I've never had the need to drive a stick before (don't make fun, I get enough crap about this just from my gf:BangHead:), but I figured that there is no better reason than to bang the gears in a new V8 Camaro. So I've been learning on the gf's Celica, which has a pretty light clutch.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The clutch in the first gen cars use linkage to engage/disengage the clutch while new cars use hydraulics. So, it is very likely that the 5th gen will have an easier clutch. I image that GM will make sure of that. Unless of course they don't want to sell any manual cars. :lol:

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Im thinking the Z clutch and the 5th Gen clutch arent the same so comparing isnt gonna work But the late Model GM Vehicles ive driven have Had light Clutches Due in Part to the hydraulics Used now...Even My Z with 650 Plus HP the Clutch is Still on the lighter side Compared to 1st Gens.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
So where IS the Camaro clutch being used? GTO? Vette?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Its a fully hydraulic clutch setup with a concentric slave cylinder, so I imagine it won't be any heavier than the stock 4th gen clutch, which uses the same setup. Take a C6 Vette out for a ride, that will probably give you a pretty accurate feel for what the Camaro's clutch will be like.

If there's one thing I can't stand though its featherweight clutches (Hondas, ect). They just don't have any feel, I want to at least know I'm pushing the pedal in without it just dropping to the floor from the weight of my foot.

If you want to feel a stiff clutch try driving a 03-04 Mustang Cobra, its a heavy duty cable clutch, requires somewhere around 40lbs of effort to release. The tradeoff is no hydraulics to go bad, cheaper to manufacture and service, and the clutch feel (engagement point) is dead on. You can get in one of those cars and drive it like a pro even if you've never driven a Ford in your life because the feel is so accurate and its so easy to modulate. Thats the biggest advantage of a manual/cable style clutch, I wish they still used them.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Only manual I've driven..friend's saturn with no power steering. I hate that thing's clutch with immense hatred. :O
I have to shove my leg against the floorpan, and **** near pull myself up on the steering wheel to make sure the **** thing is good to go.
And it stalls hella easy. :p

So I hope the V6 clutch is lighter than that.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Vette LS3 and LS7 clutches are quite light although the flywheel is rather heavy.
The Vette clutches have unique heat problems and the ZR1 with LS9 has a new twin disc clutch. I suspect the 5th G clutch will be fine as it should not have the C5-C6 heat failure issues.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The clutch on the V6 that I drove in Milford was very easy - light with a progressive take-up. Very similar to the clutch in my '98 SS so Ididn't even have to get used to it. It wouldn't be a problem at all for me in traffic.
There were no V8 manuals for us to drive that day... but there actually was a C6 Z06 to play with as well! I've driven a few Z06s and the clutches have all been very pleasant to work with.

Best regardSS,

Elie

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would expect it to be like the Corvette

I would expect it to be like a Corvette with the LS3 engine and same manual transmission since they are using many similar components.

Tha being said I love the feel of the clutch in my 08 Vette. Firm but not stiff and also not so soft that it is mushy like many imports.

The Z06 and ZR1 clutchs feels very similar to the Coupe and Convertible so I would hope GM makes the Camaro comparable to those excellent vehicles!

Ron

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.