Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came out this morning and found a crack in my windshield. I currently have 21st Century Auto insurance and wondering if anyone had any feedback/reviews with 21st Century's choice for Safelite in this kind of repair?

I have a 2011 2LT with remote start and HUD.

Will I be better off going to a dealership to have this done? :(

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
SafeLite uses substandard glass. NOT OEM quality. Thinner. Thinner is weaker. It's cheaper. That's why the ins. co. wants to use it.
I had the windshield on my Silverado replaced twice. Once with Safelite, the last time with GM glass. The safelite people didn't even replace the window properly. I didn't find out until I had another glass co replace it with OEM glass. They fixed it right, and showed me the difference in the glass.

Safelite is a ripoff.

When I had a rock crack the glass in my Camaro, my ins co wanted me to use them, and I said no, I wanted OEM. I paid the difference and got OEM, and had it done RIGHT, replaced using OEM parts and OEM process.

Do it right.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got off the phone with 21st Century. They informed me I could bring my car anywhere I wanted to have it replaced with $0 deductible.

At that point I informed them I wanted to bring it to Chevrolet dealership in Coconut Creek where I purchased the car. They then stated that dealership was not on the list.

At that point they offered Safelite to come to my house to have it repaired. I told them I wanted OEM glass and not aftermarket. They said they could do that with no problems and put down the notes.

I have to contact Safelite tmw for an appointment. They provided two numbers for me to call. The first one is to see if they have the glass I want and the second to make an appointment.

If the guy doesn't have the glass I need then I will pass on the service and look elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
Don't do it, get OEM or nothing...you won't be sorry!

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
...and specify OEM process and adhesives too. DON'T let Safelite touch your car. The Camaro is VERY difficult to change out the windshield on. There's NO ROOM for error.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Safelite called and stated they could get the OEM glass for me. Will take 4-5 day to arrive and I just have to pay the $66 difference that my insurance would not cover towards the OEM glass.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Would you know OEM glass if you saw it? GM isn't in the business of
making glass they contract it out to a supplier.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
GM OEM glass has a GM logo etched into the corner permanently.

Of COURSE it can be recognized!
It's also the right thickness.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GM OEM glass has a GM logo etched into the corner permanently.

Of COURSE it can be recognized!
It's also the right thickness.

Yes they confirmed it would have GM logo etched into the glass. If it doesn't have it.. I will send the installer on his way.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Safelite came by today and replaced the windhshield with OEM glass from the manufacturer. It has the GM etching on the lower right hand passenger side windshield. I have to say that the guy did a fantastic job and was very careful throughout the whole process. You couldn't even tell if the glass was replaced.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
I hope they used GM adhesives and procedures. If so, and they didn't tear up the finish under the glass and leave bare metal exposed, you should be OK.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Not to worry you but is it HUD glass. I also have the HUD and on the glass it states genuine HUD glass.

·
Registered
244 Posts
In addition to everything that was talked about....make sure the OEM glass has that special coating to make the HUD work! Without that your HUD can't project an image on the glass.

Mail Clerk;)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To everyone regarding HUD. Yes I double checked prior to installation and the GM etching included HUD on the glass. As for bar metal being exposed etc.. no. I was there watching the whole process and the guy did a fantastic job!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
To everyone regarding HUD. Yes I double checked prior to installation and the GM etching included HUD on the glass. As for bar metal being exposed etc.. no. I was there watching the whole process and the guy did a fantastic job!
Cool glad it all worked out.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Most dealerships sublet windshield installs anyway. Good for you for fighting for what you want, most folks just let insuance companies do whatever they want, just so it looks good when its finished, those Taiwan parts they like to use dont fit good and dont hold up.

If I remember right GMs glass is made by PPG

1 - 19 of 19 Posts