Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping Scotty, Eric, or Anna will be able to chime in and tell me if this quote sounds reasonable or not.

I had a weak moment yesterday and let my girlfriend drive my car (first mistake I made) to the local Sam's Club. We were just about to pull into the parking lot when I heard a loud noise. I look up just in time to see the rear tires on the passenger side of the Wal-Mart/Sam's Club tractor trailer up on the curb as he cut the corner too sharp and kicked up some rocks. Well, one of those rocks decided to jump over the car in front of us and hit the passenger side of my windshield, causing pretty substantial damage. We pulled in behind him and waited for him to park before I confronted him. He was oblivious (or at least pretended to be) to the fact that he hit the curb with his rear tires. I asked him to follow me to the corner of the curb and even after seeing the fresh damage, he still claimed that he didn't hit it. We took a walk to the rear tires of his trailer and found that the two outer tires on the passenger side were both blown, much to his "surprise." We exchanged information and on I went.

I took my car in to the dealership today to get a quote for the windshield to be replaced and it came to $971.43! I'm not paying a penny of this, but I still found that quote shocking. $809.43 was for the actual windshield and the rest was labor and taxes.

Does a windshield for these cars really cost $809? or is the dealership trying to get the most out of the insurance company?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
WOW!! It seems like a lot of money to me.

We don't install glass here, we use a couple of local auto-glass companies, so I don't know how much the windshields cost.

Can you call one to get a 2nd opinion?

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
be sure to get a GM windshield, and not aftermarket!

when i bought my truck, the passenger door window was scratched underneath the tint, so i made them replace it. they said they could order one and it take a few days, but they couldn't guarantee it wasn't OEM. i suggested they swap the windows out of one of their trucks on the lot while THEY wait for the window to come in.

the things sales people will go through to make a sell ;)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
be sure to get a GM windshield, and not aftermarket!
Aftermarket is not an option. I called Safelite for a 2nd quote and it was nearly half of what the dealership came in at ($470 + tax), but I want to stick with an OEM windshield...especially since it is at someone else's expense.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Aftermarket is not an option. I called Safelite for a 2nd quote and it was nearly half of what the dealership came in at ($470 + tax), but I want to stick with an OEM windshield...especially since it is at someone else's expense.
you will probably get a call from the insurance adjuster trying to convince you to take the cheaper windshield... they're always trying to save money :rolleyes:

but you have the right to pick which one you want :thumbsup:

happened to me on my old truck, they said either replace the bedside with a used one or they would total the truck... i didn't have much of a choice since it was my only mode of transportation!

·
Premium Member
8,645 Posts
I had to have mine replaced (rock hit it on interstate and cracked it) Mine cost $509.00 got to love insurance :thumbsup:

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
OEM parts are often aftermarket parts in a different box - GM does not make windshields :)

Regarding the incident, most of us have been there. Not sure why you would confront the other driver, most of the time that can lead only to a negative experience, sounds like yours did not, thankfully.

This will probably go through your insurance company (in Michigan it would for sure) don't expect the trucking company to come up with a penny, sounds like an unfortunate case of bad timing and I wouldn't expect them to pay any of it.

Good luck with the repairs :cool:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OEM parts are often aftermarket parts in a different box - GM does not make windshields :)

Regarding the incident, most of us have been there. Not sure why you would confront the other driver, most of the time that can lead only to a negative experience, sounds like yours did not, thankfully.

This will probably go through your insurance company (in Michigan it would for sure) don't expect the trucking company to come up with a penny, sounds like an unfortunate case of bad timing and I wouldn't expect them to pay any of it.
If it were a rock in the road that a tire just happened to kick up, that's a different story. In my particular situation, the driver made a mistake, took too sharp of a turn, went up on the curb, blew two tires, and kicked up a rock that hit my windshield. He was at fault.

As far as the confrontation...a .45 cal semi-auto + concealed permit always makes that a bit easier. Also, his insurance company has already made the claim and the windshield will be replaced on wednesday, no questions asked by them. It actually went pretty smoothly.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts

Good luck with the repairs :cool:
Ditto. I had safelite replace a windshield on my last car (SLK320) and they replaced with the exact same windshield, same manufacturer for a little over a third of what the dealer wanted to charge. It's just another huge markup item IMHO, and under warranty it won't cost them any $900.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
If it were a rock in the road that a tire just happened to kick up, that's a different story. In my particular situation, the driver made a mistake, took too sharp of a turn, went up on the curb, blew two tires, and kicked up a rock that hit my windshield. He was at fault.

As far as the confrontation...a .45 cal semi-auto + concealed permit always makes that a bit easier. Also, his insurance company has already made the claim and the windshield will be replaced on wednesday, no questions asked by them. It actually went pretty smoothly.
I'm glad they are taking care of the repair, you are in the minority for sure :cool:

Carrying and having the CPL doesn't make it a bit easier, would it be worth shooting someone over a rock chipped windshield? Hope not :cool:

Again, I'm glad it worked out well this time :cool:

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
windshields are just as good from safelite or other glass places as they are at the dealership..the glass all comes from the same place and they all use OEM..why isn't your insurance paying for it..is your state a no fault state?

Michigan if a tractor trailer throws up a rock,stone, salt, gravel pretty much anything and damages your windshield or body the truck isn't responsible..and honestly a truck hitting the curb and throwing up a rock isn't unheard of..ever drive a big truck it looks hard..how close were u following? he mustve been driving fast to blow out his tires...if i had been the trucker i wouldn't have stopped...that's why the company's numbers are on the trucks...and the fact your carrying overkill as a CCW **** a .45 are you urban hunting too?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ditto. I had safelite replace a windshield on my last car (SLK320) and they replaced with the exact same windshield, same manufacturer for a little over a third of what the dealer wanted to charge. It's just another huge markup item IMHO, and under warranty it won't cost them any $900.
I just feel a little safer with the dealership working on my car than safelite.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Carrying and having the CPL doesn't make it a bit easier, would it be worth shooting someone over a rock chipped windshield? Hope not :cool:
I carry all the time...it's not as if I loaded a clip in my gun, threw the holster on my belt, got out of my car and confronted him. It's definitely an added sense of security and safety.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
windshields are just as good from safelite or other glass places as they are at the dealership..the glass all comes from the same place and they all use OEM..why isn't your insurance paying for it..is your state a no fault state?
No, Maine is not a no-fault state. My insurance company isn't paying for it because the driver of the truck was at-fault. If he had made the proper turn, this never would have happened...simple as that. Part of Wal-Mart's policy is to call the police for any kind of incident and the cop that showed up on the scene claimed it a civil case due to the damage being under $1,000...but he stated on the report that the other driver was at fault.

Michigan if a tractor trailer throws up a rock,stone, salt, gravel pretty much anything and damages your windshield or body the truck isn't responsible..and honestly a truck hitting the curb and throwing up a rock isn't unheard of..ever drive a big truck it looks hard..how close were u following? he mustve been driving fast to blow out his tires...if i had been the trucker i wouldn't have stopped...that's why the company's numbers are on the trucks...and the fact your carrying overkill as a CCW **** a .45 are you urban hunting too?
As I stated in my original post, I was the second car behind the truck, so probably 30-40 feet behind. He didn't just hit a curb...he drove up over the curb, onto the grass and probably caused an additional $200 in landscaping damage as well as the damage to my windshield. The driver was at his destination (Sam's Club) and was backing up to the bay while I waited for him to shut his truck off. I acquired the .45 through a trade. I agree it is a bit overkill for a concealed carry gun, but it's the concealed series so it's very compact for being a .45

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
With less than 500 miles on my car, had to have the windshield replaced because of a rock from a semi.But that was back in June 09. Safelite had to get one from the manufacturer and before they installed it, they ground the GM logo off. Said it was a GM warranty issue but Safelite warranted it. They do good work.

·
Registered
588 Posts
You can go to the trademotion catalog (master parts database) and quote the dealer price for an OEM windshield. The cost dealer $573.61 without remote start and $566.53 with. The database cost is $389.19 and $384.39

www.parts.com

You can pretty much do all makes and models of vehicles that way.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Had mine replaced about a month after getting my car. Was driving down the road and a guy mowing toward the road kicked up a rock and hit passenger side of my windshield...he was on the driver's side and other side of the road. My insurance covered it...$50 out of pocket.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I just feel a little safer with the dealership working on my car than safelite.
You'd be one of the few... dealerships seldom have glass install experts. Not saying every glass shop employs experts, but since most of the time that's all they do and they depend on getting it done right, I'd lean toward trusting their work vs. the dealer.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts