Modern Camaro Forums banner

Solid Axle or IRS

• Solid Axle (I plan on hitin the local drag way)

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • IRS (Im going to take some curves)

Votes: 22 73.3%
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IF it were possible which from what I understand its not.
But if it were possibe that u could chose a solid axle in your Camaro or a IRS which would u guys chose and why?

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
I chose solid axle.
reasons:
-I never race anyone in the curves
-less hp loss

I am fine with the Camaro having a IRS though I guess. I think it will probley be a big good point on the car as far as reveiws go and you had to replace the rear anyway in the 4th gen if you were laying down some good numbers so it won't be much different if you have to swap the IRS out for live axle for the hardcore straitline folks. The only thing I am concerned about is that most of the time the mags compare 1/4 mile times and with Mustang having the live axle it will probley take a little more HP than would be needed using a live alxe and I don't want Camaro owners to have to have an excuse like "if I had a solid axle I would have won" As long as they make the car beat the Mustang WITH the IRS it won't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Well a IRS can be built to take the abuse of a drag launch, also suspension to make it perform a very good launch. As for power loss, it cant be much worst than a Dana 60 and I rather have a car thats overall performer. If I wanted a full blown drag car I would have a stripped car with bare essentials.
IRS for me.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
I am having trouble figuring out how you adjust things like anti-squat on a IRS. How do you get more or less anti-squat with IRS? How is COG adjusted? How is the IC adjusted?

From what I understand you can only get 25% max anti-squat out of IRS and over 100% out of a live axle.

From what I understand when a high powered car launchs hard with IRS the IRS becomes somewhat like a go cart suspension(kinda like no supsension at all)

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Drag Bags and making Peddlers my new best friend is my answer. That and I hope Octane is right about GM doing more R&D on anti-squat.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
You want a solid axle, go buy a Challenger. What's the purpose of this question when it's one of the few things we actually KNOW about the new Camaro?

This thread is pointless.
Down boy, down. Its ok. Crude, but I agree.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I have a low tolerance for stupid questions and false speculation.

"My Camaro better beat a GT500! Who cares that the GT500 is a $70K specialty car. GM better make all of my ludicrous dreams come true or I'll get a pig Challenger!"

Pfff.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Meet my little friends, Lulu with his steel pipe and Dev with his heavy BS crushing skills.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I have to say the Zeta front suspension looks much lighter than the 4th gen
That's a plus; as long as it doesnt mean as weak or weaker.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I hope to see G8 or Commodores put down good power soon; so we can see the strength and 60fts of the IRS.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I got a feeling the Camaro will have a bit more tuned suspension than the G8. The G8 may be powerful..but it's still a 'family sedan' of sorts. While the Camaro is a pure-bred sportcar. So they'll be SOME difference in the numbers...but it'd still be a good idea of what's going to happen.
Isn't there one guy on this forum with a Commodore that said the IRS is awesome?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You want a solid axle, go buy a Challenger. What's the purpose of this question when it's one of the few things we actually KNOW about the new Camaro?

This thread is pointless.
Your comment is pointless.
Tell me how in the hell u even get the Challenger out of this thread.
O are u still bitter about the last thread i made?
Last I checked the the Challenger has a IRS.
But anyways this thread was to see what people perfer I well aware of what the Camaro has in it.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.