Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Carfax doesn't tell you jack!

Have someone at a dealer run a GM report on a used car you're looking at.. they can check just about anything in a car's history. I was able to determine using this that the first owner of the vette i was looking at treated it rather harshly, hubs on all four wheels had been replaced, and the driver's seat has been repaired 3 times... anyways.. carfax was completely clean.. my Dad ran the vin through at his dealer tho, and we deduced it'd been treated rather poorly by first owner... GM dealer info is insanely more helpful than carfax.. still not a bad buy, but i may be able to do better here now that the Grand sport is coming.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Carfax doesn't tell you jack!

Have someone at a dealer run a GM report on a used car you're looking at.. they can check just about anything in a car's history. I was able to determine using this that the first owner of the vette i was looking at treated it rather harshly, hubs on all four wheels had been replaced, and the driver's seat has been repaired 3 times... anyways.. carfax was completely clean.. my Dad ran the vin through at his dealer tho, and we deduced it'd been treated rather poorly by first owner... GM dealer info is insanely more helpful than carfax.. still not a bad buy, but i may be able to do better here now that the Grand sport is coming.
How's a GM dealer going to get that history for a Lexus or a BMW? Carfax is just a history of transfer of ownership and major accidents, including salvage titles if any. I wouldn't expect details like how many times the seat was repaired, but I agree if you want the nitty-gritty get the maintenance history from an appropriate dealer.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How's a GM dealer going to get that history for a Lexus or a BMW? Carfax is just a history of transfer of ownership and major accidents, including salvage titles if any. I wouldn't expect details like how many times the seat was repaired, but I agree if you want the nitty-gritty get the maintenance history from an appropriate dealer.
lol.. i was looking at a vette.. i suppose you would have to go to a lexus or bmw dealer.. or just skip them both and buy domestic:lol:

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
yeah, GMVIS is infinitely more helpful... sorry i didn't tell you about that as usually you have to have a friend at a dealer to hook u up.... but i see you got your dad in on it. ;)

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, i finally mustered it up and called him.. prolly a good thing too, he pointed out that the market will be better for me in about 2 months because of the GS release.. so we'll see, but he's gonna help me at least.

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
the best way to judge a car is to see it in person and look at it yourself..... Thats only if you know what to look for tho

1 - 16 of 16 Posts