Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never traded in a car before, so I really have no idea what I'm doing.

I've owned my 2LT for about a month now, and I really want to upgrade to a 2SS new or used, i don't care.

Would it be possible to make a swap with a dealer? or would I just have to sell mine and buy another Camaro all together..

This has to be the dumbest question asked, but I'm honestly clueless.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
because you have registered your 2LT in your name it is now a used vehicle. which means that depreciation has already hit your car as it can't be sold as a new vehicle again. you always have the option to trade a vehicle in no matter how long you've owned it, just be aware the trade in value is not going to be what you are expecting it to be. you could already be in a situation where you owe more on the car then they will give you on trade

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm pretty sure I got ripped off for my car anyway.
I wound up paying 39,000 for it before it was finally in my driveway. It's completely payed off and only has 400 miles on it.

Think id have any kind of a chance to trade for even a 1SS? I might call up the dealer in a bit..

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
like i said you can trade it. it's just what they are gonna give you for trade. i don't know what area you are in, but my opinion is that you'll see 30k at best for it. so were those 400 work 10 grand to you?

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
you can check kbb.com and build your cars trade in value....You'll likely get between fair & good - not because of condition, but because those numbers are about what they are going through auctions for.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, I'm pretty sure I got ripped off for my car anyway.
I wound up paying 39,000 for it before it was finally in my driveway. It's completely payed off and only has 400 miles on it.

Think id have any kind of a chance to trade for even a 1SS? I might call up the dealer in a bit..

You paid $39,000 for your car? Isn't that a bit high for a 2LT? One more grand and you have a fully loaded 2SS/taxes/tags etc... At least out here in souther IL you could.

·
Premium Member
8,645 Posts
Yep. I got about every single option I could, though.
So I guess i got ripped off a little bit.

If thats your Camaro in your signature you didnt get every option they make 21's and with every option i dont think it still would have been 39 grand so yes i think you over paid alot......sorry:(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yep. I got about every single option I could, though.
So I guess i got ripped off a little bit.
Wow, sorry man you got hosed. I have a loaded 2SS with RS, IOM paint, Sunroof, Paint matched engine cover and Cargo Net and only paid $37,760. Even if you got every possible option with your 2LT you shouldnt of paid more then $34k.

Next time you buy a NEW car, build it online before you even think about going to the dealer so you know exactly what MSRP is. That is the absolute most you should ever pay for a car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Everone I think he has the point now that he over paid. Go to kbb.com to get an idea of what kind of trade in you might be looking at. I was at a car cruise yesterday and there was a guy there that had the ZL 575. He said he traded his 2SS in after one month to get it and lost $8k from what he originally paid for the 2SS.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Had you done this, say, 8 or 9 months ago, you could have probably named your price on a trade in. Now, with market saturation, they're soon going to be discounting them if not already, especially now that the '11s are coming out. While we may think the car is made of gold, the general buying public only sees it as another used car.

Know going in you're going to "lose money" but if you're willing to suck that up to get what you really want, then it's all good.

Advice on model though: if you got all the options on your 2LT, then move to a 2SS, not a 1SS. Otherwise, you'll STILL be disappointed. You may can get a better deal on a leftover 2010 than ordering a new 2011 though. Just some ideas.

·
Registered
37 Posts
kbb.com doesnt even have the 2010 Camaro listed in its used car section so its hard to know what the trade-in value is.

You may want to try posting it on cars.com and craigslist just to see if you can sell it for $30k. It is free and you never know what the result might be. Who know what the market value will be as no one really knows what they are worth used.

Especially if you advertise it as fully loaded, paid $38k, must sell $31k or best offer.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Think on the bright side: At least you lost money on an investment you got to enjoy every moment. This is unlike many of us who lost money during the stock downturn over the past couple of years in which we never enjoyed it other than some pie charts on paper.

Advice going forward would be to ask a lot of questions on this site before making your next move. Everyone has each others' best interests in mind. Best of luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Are there any car dealers on the site that can possibly step in to give him an idea of what he is looking at?

Just a thought.

·
Registered
181 Posts
checked with a little birdie.

trade-in $25g - $26.5g

unless your absolutely loaded with $$$$ and it doesn't matter, your going to get murdered on trade-in.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
oh i really hope that you aren't wanting to trade it in becuase of what other people are saying about owning a V6.

do you like your car?

if you answer yes to that question then what anyone else thinks means absolutely f*ck all

your car looks great moose. there's no reason to go for the bigger engine because others think you should have it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Trade in value is on the dealer. They will take it but the big question is if you are confertable with it. I was lucky with mine I traded my 1LT in 2 weeks ago for a 2SS. I made part of the trade in was the dealer transfering the ground effects and lowering springs to my new car. Best of luck on your trade in. I hope you have as good as luck as I did.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Your best option is to sell it because they will give you less than MSRP of your car. At least selling it you will get a little more money out of it and should sell fairly easy with only 400 miles on it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts