Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday morning on my way home from IUP (GF's College). I got pulled over by a state boy.

I passed 2 cops while they were doing a traffic stop and didn't move to the other lane.

The ticket is for $185.50. The actual fine is $100 and the rest in costs. I'm tempted to fight it, but the cop said he'd bring in his dash cam...

All I could really say is "I Didn't Know That Was A Law" because I honestly didn't know. I understand it's for the safety of the officer(s) and I know now, but almost $200, c'mon now. I'm told at work, it's a relatively new law.

Theres a little more to the story but nothing that would help in court. I already have a money order filled out and I really don't feel like paying for court costs too.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
you could plead not-guilty and try and at least get it reduced.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just be glad you're not in Georgia. A friend of mine did the same thing there. The fine was around $500 :faint: She ended up having to pay the whole thing. Hopefully you can get it reduced, but nothing worked for her (not exactly sure what she tried). Good luck and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would just pay it you more then likely will lost anyways hard to fight the car cam. Most states that is the law and i bet if you look on some signs along the way it is posted move to the left lane when emergency vechiles are on the shoulder something like that.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Just be glad you're not in Georgia. A friend of mine did the same thing there. The fine was around $500 :faint: She ended up having to pay the whole thing. Hopefully you can get it reduced, but nothing worked for her (not exactly sure what she tried). Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Very true about Georgia. Several people I know have been cited for this. One of them twice! You can try to get the offense reduced. But you will most likely get the full fine. In there cases " I did not know" did not work.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
^ Yeah. Ignorance of the law will not pass as a valid excuse usually. :( sorry bro. That sux

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
id fight it. the odds the cop even comes in is slim, let alone bring in his dash cam. youd be surprised the amount of rules out there you dont know. so yeah he may be able to use that as his case.

on a side note...did you know you cant get pulled over when heading to or from your place of worship? its in the law for ohio atleast.i got a buddy whos a cop and he tells me all kinds of weird laws and ways to get out of stuff.

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
Just pay it and put it behind you

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I would pay it.

But I also would have moved over to the other lane for safety reasons. Law or not....just as a courtesy.

I feel ya though, it would suck to shell out that kind of money.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Pay up, just read not long ago that 47 states passed the move over law..federal law that states you must reduce speed by 20 mph from posted and move over 1 lane or face a fine & ticket of $720.00 if passing on officer on the side of the road performing his duties. $185.50 is not much considering it could be $700+...The US Navy sent out an All Hands E-mail about this about 6 weeks back as a "HeadsUp" thing

·
Registered
145 Posts
Man they post that all over the TV and radio in Georgia, MOVE OVER ITS THE LAW.
Just pay it I'd say. I've got so use to it that if I see a car on the shoulder I move over or slow way down. The state boys here don't play that.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Pay up. They just started that law in SC about a year or so ago. If you can't get over, at least be sure they see your brake lights still lit up as you pass by at a reduced speed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I got pulled over for this same reason a couple of years ago but did not get a ticket. The cop asked me if I was aware of the law; I told him yes but I had slowed down well below the speed limit not only for him but because he was stopped less than 100 yards from my exit off the highway. I asked him if I was expected to miss my exit? he told me no and let me on my way.

·
8,984 Posts
No contest and throw yourself on the mercy of the court and ask him to lower it by 75%.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
I would at least go to court instead of just sending the payment. Most of the time around here if you don't have any other offences in a while, they drop the fine. You pay court costs and go to driving school and nothing on your record. Also its not just police officers that you can get that ticket for.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
sometimes its not always the safest thing to move into the other lane. if your on a crowded highway, switching lanes so quickly isnt always possible and neither is slamming on your brakes to drop 25mph. im torn about this law. sounds good...but not always practical or safe.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I'll agree that it isn't always practical, however, if you're aware of your surrounds, paying attention to things that are in front of you, I would believe that a driver would have enough time to either merge over when it's safe, or slow down drastically. You'd be amazed to know how many officers are either A) killed by someone not paying attention, or B) get seriously hurt.

Really, it's not that hard......

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts