Modern Camaro Forums banner

Do you wax your powder coated with clear coat wheels?

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions....

Powder coated gloss black rims. Brembo brakes. Do you wax rims for easier cleaning or never let wax touch them?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I posted this poll as I was told something new to me. I was picking my newly powder coated gloss black rims. They come with a clear coat on top. The techs at this business looked horrified that i mentioned waxing my wheels twice a year. They stated to never do that.

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
Wax will wear off rims fast. I either use a sealant with more durability and easy application or opti-coat for years of protection. With the amount of brake dust generated from the OEM brakes, I applied opti-coat and most of the dust rinses off with a jet stream of water. Then a good washing removes the rest.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man i feel old some days lol.

I ordered some Z-CS from the link you provided. I see to only use AT MOST 1/4 ounce. Not sure how the pad has enough to do all four wheels but I am game :).

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Wax will wear off rims fast. I either use a sealant with more durability and easy application or opti-coat for years of protection. With the amount of brake dust generated from the OEM brakes, I applied opti-coat and most of the dust rinses off with a jet stream of water. Then a good washing removes the rest.
i always thought regular wax that u can apply to the cars clear coat is safe for the rims as well?? ive been doing it for awhile now

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
Man i feel old some days lol.

I ordered some Z-CS from the link you provided. I see to only use AT MOST 1/4 ounce. Not sure how the pad has enough to do all four wheels but I am game :).
LOL - I am with you on the felling old part. The detailing world has changed much in the last 4-5 years and there is some really good products out there.

That Zaino sealant is good for just about all the exterior surfaces of your car (except windows). Use very sparingly. Should last a good 4-8 months depending on weather and location. Wipe Z-CS on a clean surface and let it dry.

The Zaino line allows for product layering, so every layer of wax on top of Z-CS is like adding another coat of protection. Some Corvette enthusiast friends of mine got me hooked on the line of products years ago. The Zaino blonde detailing towels, while expensive, are the best and softest I've ever owned.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I have never waxed my polished aluminum rims. They still look as good as new.
wow, mine always need to be cleaned or waxed or they look like crap

1 - 12 of 12 Posts