Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone has seen this on line anywhere but...
My friend who works at the local dealer tells me there has been a problem with color matching between the bumper covers and the rest of the car. They have one currently sitting in thier back lot waiting for Chevy to pick up and take back to find the problem. It is only a yellow problem. This car has been repainted by the crew sent down from Canada, but the guy was not happy because it was repainted.....This car was loaded to the hilt! I don't know what else could be wrong but there was talk of giving up on that peticular yellow and change it to something else. Anyone else with a view on this? There has been mention of color mismatching on this site in the past but this is the first I heard something this direct.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Eric ? You know anything about this ? Thats it I want DaytonaYellow Dammit lol ;)

But no seriously is this true or has anyone heard of any problems ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nothing here and have been through several of the forums as well as owning a Bumble Bee I never noticed any thing on mine

·
Registered
77 Posts
the last dealer i was at had 2 yellow ss sitting on the lot and i was able to see some varience on the color betwen the plastic and and the actual body, heard somewhere that it has to do w/ the difference in the 2 materials, any truth idk but just what ive seen/heard

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
This is the same ol' story like the RJT and IOM. Search and ye shall find.

·
Registered
472 Posts
It's about the angle of the painted material.
Every panel was painted at the same time. The color is not different.

Some people are having them do blending. I'm glad I'm happy with mine.
Saw these pictures on line somewhere.
The same color sample at different angles.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts

Some people are having them do blending. I'm glad I'm happy with mine.
Saw these pictures on line somewhere.
The same color sample at different angles.

That's nice and all but that doesn't explain the visible difference from the hood to the top of the nose; those surfaces flow along the same lines (in the same plane, well almost), but their reflective properties are different. The pigment may be the same, but the materials used in the paint aren't... at least that's what the light reflecting off them tells me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm glad i got black. It is very hard to match colors like the IOM and the yellow. I am very picky about paint. I would complain if i wasn't happy

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
There is a noticable difference on our ABM. I used to work for the company that makes for front and rear covers for the Corvette and it has to do with the difference in materials because to "ADDPRO" Adheasion Promoter is different for the two materials thus requiring different paint and different primer.

That, in addition to variances in paint it is understandable to a point but usually not to the shade differences we are seeing with this car.

We had a shade chart for each color painted and GM would accept parts with up to 2 shades off. Anything more was rejected. That yellow in the sample pics would have not even been on the chart, thus more than 5 shades off. It is most likely the simple fact that gm uses a different BRAND paint that the fascia supplier, like PPG vs. DUPONT.

Also when you guys get your cars, be sure in INSPECT it throughly. I thought Cammie had a bug splatters on the cover when I got her. A bout a week after we picked her up, I detailed it for a car show and found that it was not a bug but a scuff and gouge in the cover.

I am hoping that we might be able to get it taken care of since the color is off anyway.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
IIRC, according to another post, the flex panel were painted by the vendor. If that's true, they couldn't have been painted with the other panels. I believe all the panels save the flexible bumper covers were painted at the same time. If the shade is too far off, I'll say something, but if it's just a hair, it adds to the uniqueness.

I don't care about excuses as to WHY they may be off shade, I care more whether it's detracting to the car's overall appearance. Paint is like makeup...it's not so much the color, but how well it blends and enhances the appearance.

Which makeup looks better? This:

Or this?:

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's noticeable on every color, black maybe the least. Dodge had the same problem with the Charger but I'm not sure if it was addressed by them either.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I bought a new Camaro back in 1988, it was artic white. The bumper covers were darker than the rest of the car.
After an accident the entire car was repainted and they matched perfectly.
I asked my friend(the painter) how they could match it better than GM?
He said that it was their practice to just add flex agent to the whole batch of paint. Flex agent makes the paint more flexible for bumpers.
And it also darkens the paint. But, it doesn't hurt on the other panels. At least that's what he told me, and I never had any troubles with the paint after that.
Even on the factory paint the difference wasn't visible in bright sunlight.
Randy

Attachments

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
Do they use flex agent in all the paint? Are you sure all panels are painted at the same time by the same paint?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Do they use flex agent in all the paint? Are you sure all panels are painted at the same time by the same paint?
No. I was going by memory.
I thought that the email I had seen was in reference to fascia panel mismatching that I have seen in photos.
I reread it just now, and apparently there is also concern from steel panel to other steel panel??
I had never heard that once.

The whole thing has me confused. Is it possible that the flex agent was included in all of the paint on 4th gens and not on the 5th gen?
I only ask because it definitely was never an issue on my '97, and though it is not extreme on my new RJT car, I can definitely see a very slight variation.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts