Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well This is my first actual post and all I can say is wow, I was going to buy a cobalt SS until my mom found out how fast it was, so I moved on and I plan to get a Camaro(yea she knows its faster) I am only 18 so I am wondering do you think it will be ok for me to drive it? The last thing I want is to wreck it so I plan to BABY! the throttle. I can't wait to actaully drive a real nice car. I am not one of them mommys boy 18 year old I have to work to get this car. I am hoping to have around 10 grand to put down on the car so I can afford the 320$ a month for 18 grand financing. I will be getting the GM pricing(family works for GM) so how much will it be you think? I plan to wash this car every 3 days and wax every 3 weeks with spray waxs every week once a week. What are you opinions on this?

EDIT:

I plan to throw my current money in to CD's so that I don't spend it. Its like 3 grand now. 6 month to SAVE SAVE SAVE! 300$ a week about 1000 a month and with Christmas I should be able to get to 10,000. for my down payment.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Well This is my first actual post and all I can say is wow, I was going to buy a cobalt SS until my mom found out how fast it was, so I moved on and I plan to get a Camaro(yea she knows its faster) I am only 18 so I am wondering do you think it will be ok for me to drive it? The last thing I want is to wreck it so I plan to BABY! the throttle. I can't wait to actaully drive a real nice car. I am not one of them mommys boy 18 year old I have to work to get this car. I am hoping to have around 10 grand to put down on the car so I can afford the 320$ a month for 18 grand financing. I will be getting the GM pricing(family works for GM) so how much will it be you think? I plan to wash this car every 3 days and wax every 3 weeks with spray waxs every week once a week. What are you opinions on this?

EDIT:

I plan to throw my current money in to CD's so that I don't spend it. Its like 3 grand now. 6 month to SAVE SAVE SAVE! 300$ a week about 1000 a month and with Christmas I should be able to get to 10,000. for my down payment.
Ahhhh i wish i was 18 again....Good Luck on Getting the New Car and Keep saving....You should Be ok if you Keep your Foot out of the Throtle...And get a V6

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Hello and welcome to the boards. Glad you are looking into a camaro. Only you can honestly tell whether or not you will be able to handle it. The first would be experience. What have you ever driven and to what extent? Second if some kid in a mustang pulls next to you at a light and revs what will your reaction be? Ask yourself honestly and you should have your answer. Right now it's looing like the "weakest" V8 will still be a handful to a novice driver. There will probably be electronic nannies of sorts to help some but the car can still hurt you with the kind of power it will have. The Hi-po V6 even has 300 horses (same as a current Mustang GT) so it will be plenty fast.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have experince in driving I don't own a stick but have driven them, I use to race RC cars, that tought me alot about driving, honest answer at a light if he pulls up next to me and the car is 2 months old I wont be doing anything most likely I might give him a rev but I don't plan to race it, there is no way I would be able to floor this car and I fully understand that I currently drive a 1998 Grand am is has about 155 HP(so weak) is a piece of crap V6 its FWD, I can drive EXCELLENT(in forza motorsports haa) I do realise that 400 horsepower is ALOT and if floored the car will probably burnout up to 4th/5th gear I have driven a 05 GTO and I loved it I only went to 60 MPH, I could feel the power, my question is will the car have a type of gas pedal where there is a certain amount until REAL power is reached? my moms Vue has that. If I get to actually feel the power of the GTO with me in the driver seat I would be able to tell from there, I would not consider myself a novice driver, but no 18 year old kid does ya know lol.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I may go with the V6 I will decide later when I have more info.

I could use some help I am looking for a good winter beater(philly area)

I want it to be stick and I can't seem to find anything good what would be good beater cars?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Welcome!! :D

When I was 18, after I had owned my Z28 for about 6 months, a guy in a Tacoma pick-up truck got into the inside left turn lane and rev'd his engine at me. There was torrential rain, my 2nd windshield wiper motor was dead (don't ask), and best of all, my tires were basically bald. Anyway, all those factors coupled with my lack of fear turned a fairly standard attempt to "take the guy" into an over-corrected skid, which broke my rear driver's side wheel into pieces as well as my axle and left my car about 15 feet up a concrete embankment.

To this day I hate driving in the rain. That experience helped me truly appreciate my Camaro and made me toned down my aggressive driving a tad. I think every driver needs one screw-up to gain humility from. That and a barren parking lot and a ton of rain to learn how to correct a skid. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.