1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
there have been various threads on this site about the Z28

·
Registered
589 Posts
motortrend had an article today talking about the convert and the Z28. Chevy is worried about how they would be perceived launching a car that gets 13 city 19 hwy after they begged for money from the government.

You got the money already, screw em. Bring out the GT500 queen of the road killer and tell obama and the boys to go "stimulate" themselves

·
Registered
29 Posts
To cancel the Z28 would be a huge mistake for an already troubled company...i know there are many out there like me waiting this year out in anticipation of a 500hp Z28.

If they do skip its production, then they need to offer an alternative for SS buyers such as a camshaft upgrade boosting 480hp.

I am still going to wait this year out and see....this news is very disappointing!!:(

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
To cancel the Z28 would be a huge mistake for an already troubled company...i know there are many out there like me waiting this year out in anticipation of a 500hp Z28.

If they do skip its production, then they need to offer an alternative for SS buyers such as a camshaft upgrade boosting 480hp.

I am still going to wait this year out and see....this news is very disappointing!!:(

Sorry, but if you are expecting a Z/28 out this year, you're gonna be disappointed. I think we will see it, but at this point to expect it sooner than mid-2010 at the earliest, just isn't realistic. I'm happy to be getting any Camaro at this point...if the car wasn't as far along as it was when the economy went into the crapper, it probably would have been put on hold or canceled.:(

If more power is what you want...just buy an SS and add a few goodies to it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi,
i was referring to the z28 for 2011, i didnt expect one this year, but that would have been nice. Since GM already has a part number for the cam changed engine, they should offer that engine as an option for SS owners. So owners dont have to pull a new motor apart to swap the cam out.

Anyone have an idea if the 426hp dyno was with the standard manifolds or shorty headers? Exhaust upgrade will be a must for me!!

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
The 426 is SAE certified so it is with the factory manifolds and accessories IIRC. So it's basically a corked 450HP engine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
For someone who has owned a Z-28 before I would honestly be happy if they made it just like the SS(same engine) so they wouldn t have to worry about Obama and made it maybe convertable or hell just changed the insignia on the seats and grill. Maybe even tweak the look of them a little like they have in the new Trans Former movie. Most people own Z-28 these days just for the name am I right or wrong??

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
For someone who has owned a Z-28 before I would honestly be happy if they made it just like the SS(same engine) so they wouldn t have to worry about Obama and made it maybe convertable or hell just changed the insignia on the seats and grill. Maybe even tweak the look of them a little like they have in the new Trans Former movie. Most people own Z-28 these days just for the name am I right or wrong??
True. With some lighter seats, grille and brake ducts, Recaro buckets in front, and maybe no rear seats to save a few pounds, the Z28 could have much better performance without the need for a new engine. Perhaps add some Carbon fiber to the interior, and some of the gay "cheap plastic" remarks will be toned down. carbon ceramic brakes and a high gear boost controller to make more torque in mid-to high-range revs would be great also. Or in Layman's Terms, an American GT-R Spec-V. Anyone with me?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would be happy with the SS, but GM should at least give the consumer what they want, and that would be choices....if u want the stick, offer them the std 426hp, or the cam change engine of 480hp, or the person that wants it all the supercharged engine. At least offer the choice! I also hope they will offer a choice of rear ratios. I am buying this car for long term and as a second car so giving up a little on mpg for a car that does everything i dreamed of is worth it.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Hmmm. Long term and as a second car...that's NOT the market car manufacturers normally seek. You wouldn't be in one of their target markets.

For one, GM can't afford to toss money at a high-performance platform and expect uncle sam to be happy about loaning them cash at the moment. Two, it's not like GM can chance the Z28 not selling and have all those costs offset by other model's profits.

If GM did it as a niche model, an "additional" add on to the LT or SS or something of the sort, then I can see it happening, but only after they 1) objectively assess the response to the Camaro past the "flash in the pan" launch, and 2) are in a better financial position to make it easier to happen.

With that said, I hope they DO make a Z28 again one day. But I got a feeling it's going to be a couple years out at best.

Z28 should mean something to true hard-core performance enthusiasts, not just another badge with the same drivetrain. JMO.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Exactly, just like you guys ***** n hate that they slap SS on every model of GM you wouldn't want that z28 badge to go on just some regular car.

Right now the push is for economical cars, its gonna be hard for GM to release this since they received bailout money.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts