Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i am sure there have been a million questions regarding tires and I am sorry if this specific question has been asked already; however, I am trying to determine which tired to buy. The car is mostly a daily driver, which I do take to the track. Now daily driver should be used lightly. My car is a 2013 ZL1 with only 6K miles on it.

Now to the question of these three listed, which is the best tire?

mickey thompson street comp in sizes 275/35/20 (they don't make a 285) & 305/35/20

michelin pilot super sports 285/35/20 and 315/35/20

nitto nt555r what size front and rear 305/35/20

·
Registered
37 Posts
What's wrong with your OEM tires?

These things are great. Best tire for the track you can buy and as long as the weather is warm they perform good enough for the street.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
^^^^ I agree with the statement above. However, MT specializes in Drag Strip compounds.... They are relatively new when it comes to tire sizes 18" and above. Every set of MT's that I have owned, wear out extremely fast on the street because of the soft compound.

Nitto makes a good tire, but again, the NT555R is a DOT Drag Racing tire with a soft compound. I'm not sure I would ever put a 555R on the front of any car, much less a ZL-1.

I think you need to expand your search unless you're wanting a super soft DOT compound on all 4 corners of your ZL-1......?!?!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hate the OEM tires. They are burned out after only 6k miles. They don't hook. I ordered the michelin PSS. I'll give you guys a review when they come in.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
I hate the OEM tires. They are burned out after only 6k miles. They don't hook. I ordered the michelin PSS. I'll give you guys a review when they come in.
6000 miles? wow that's a new low for what I have seen on here. I've already doubled that, but will say I do not drive mine hard at all

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
How much of that was "spirited driving" ? Burnouts, hard corners, hard braking, donuts, etc. ...I got 55K out of my PZeros. I'll take a wild guess and say....none.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
How much of that was "spirited driving" ? Burnouts, hard corners, hard braking, donuts, etc. ...I got 55K out of my PZeros. I'll take a wild guess and say....none.:rolleyes:
Do you own a ZL1?!? Completely different tire and compound than the tire on the SS...... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I would have suggested you go with the Nitto Invo but seeing as you have already gone with the PSS's it's moot. The Invo's have done very well for me. I am SC'd with 582whp/573wtq and they deliver excellent traction and superb handling. They warm up fast, are quiet and smooth and have built-in curb protection (not that I get within 2 feet of curb!). As with any tire they have their limits but I rate them a 9.5 out of 10 and that is only because of the reduced wear but you can't have it all!!

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Do you own a ZL1?!? IRRELEVANT Completely different tire and compound than the tire on the SS...... :rolleyes:
Climb down already.:rolleyes: Geez!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I got 20k our of my 1st set of Goodyears. Nothing wrong with OEM especially on the road track. I track my car every 3 or 4 months.

And they are almost half the price of Michelin now

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Climb down already.:rolleyes: Geez!
Actually I have not climbed on anything. But thank you for assuming I had.... And my question was completely relevant. The OP clearly stated replacement tires for a ZL1. You mentioned that you got 55,000 miles out of your OEM tire and questioned the OP's natural driving style. The OEM tire on the SS is quite different from the ZL1. On top of that, the 3 specific tires he mentioned, are not OEM tires.

So answer me this- Did you bring anything helpful or useful to this thread? Did you provide any information pertaining to the 3 tires the OP asked about?! Didn't think so.... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
I asked a valid question. It's called being helpful.
ALL of these things contribute to advanced tire wear.
Then there's road surface, smooth or rough, grooved, asphalt or concrete, gravel, etc. All have an impact.
I drive my car on mostly smooth roads, and don't drive aggressively. Hence, longer tire life.

...at least I didn't climb on my high horse and try to poop on someone being helpful just for jollies.

...we now return to our regularly scheduled....and mature thread.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol looks like I started a little bit of a heated battle haha. Anyhow, I bought the car used with 3k miles on it and the tires were ok, but definitely not new. I should have thrown in new tires into the deal, but I was about an hour late of signing the contract and driving home when I thought about it. After buying the car, I did a bunch of mods (headers, exhaust, cai, upper and lower pulley, id850 injectors, 106* t stat, tune, etc) car had 600+ to the wheels (700 or so to the motor).Yes I drive the car hard, but that is what it was made for. I also track the car once a month or so. But even then, I have spoken to a few friends with the zl1 and ss, and even the chevy ss, they all hate the good years. The pirelis I had on my 2012 ss were decent, But I can honestly say, after having the PSS installed on my car yesterday, you can see a difference. Tighter cornering, better hooking, etc. I would recomend them any day. For a non drag radial, I think they are great.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
He'll get over it. Don't worry about it.

I was just in Miami a few weeks ago for work. Nice town, but EXPENSIVE!

I'm glad you like the new tires. Let me know how they do in the wet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He'll get over it. Don't worry about it.

I was just in Miami a few weeks ago for work. Nice town, but EXPENSIVE!

I'm glad you like the new tires. Let me know how they do in the wet.
No rain yet (Thank GOD) but I will definitely give a wet weather review when we get some. What do you do for work? Are you a PA or from PA? And yeah the living expenses here in Miami are insane, but we do have year round sunny weather and average temps year round of about 78*, so it's a decent trade off.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
I work for a defense contractor. I live in PA.
..I may be back in Miami in a the near future.....

Your handle means the third English speaking foreigner... WTF?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I work for a defense contractor. I live in PA.
..I may be back in Miami in a the near future.....

Your handle means the third English speaking foreigner... WTF?
nice I work for the government as well. And yeah my handle is pretty much that. Essentially down here in Miami, gringo means a white boy (but I do speak spanish; and my wife is puerto rican. I am a third generation same name same profession; and it's also a nickname I got while in highschool, so that's basically how my nickname came to be.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Soapbox time!!! ANY tire that you buy will be great for one application and not so good, or even horrible, for another. I drive an Early CTS-V and run Mich. A/S and got 40k+ on 1st set
And at 45+ on set 2. The OE GY sucked for everything except noise. The Mich. work great year round and even perform well at the Road coarse. Not a burnout or Drag fan but drive the car car pretty hard on the street.
I recently got another set of wheels and will buy track tires for them! Suggest the same for anyone expecting ultimate Perf and/or long life. You Will NOT find a tire that does both well!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have 6k miles on my 2012 ZL-1 and the original tires are fine so far.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts